• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Tragic testimony

I'd agree with that; "cult deprogramming" is a very apt term! When God saved me I was caught up in a cult but looking at getting into a different cult :eek: :eek:. However, I bought a Bible and began, for the first time in my life, to read and learn the truth. Thirty-five years later and I realise God is still deprogramming me! No one wants to admit they are caught up in a cult until they've come out of it. They'll hold tenaciously to their beliefs in spite of all the evidence to the contrary.
When I started looking beyond the doctrines I was raised in Baptist/Pentacostal. The fear of being sweeped up in a cult was real for me. I lived in the Waco area an have meet a few Branch Davdians. There's a book named the KINGDOM of the CULTS by Walter R. Martin it has some useful information but also help me realise the indoctrination of mainstream church culture and the twisting of scripture to support it.

'Cult' is such a slippery word, isn't it? Most people assume that it applies only to extreme groups that demand members dance naked in the moonlight, drink organic tea, and minimise the influence of the outside world--but by that vague definition it is easy to accuse many unorthodox but ultimately harmless groups of being a 'cult' (well, dancing naked in the moonlight IS a bit weird--but totally not judging if that's your thing).

Ultimately, I think cultish behaviour occurs when individuals with a group/fraternity/society, etc are discouraged from thinking, questioning, and arriving for themselves at alternative conclusions different to the ones they have been spoon fed to believe. When this discouragement progresses to full-blown and open punishment of thought crimes, it's safe to say a cult is born. It's not the reclusiveness of a group that makes it a cult, but the intolerance of alternate opinions, and the use of force and intimidation to destroy the free thoughts of individuals, that makes it one.

By that definition, most of mainstream culture is a 'cult' (can anyone say 'Emperor worship'?)

Yep, I know of a "good" Baptist church not far from us that is the closest thing to an undercover cult that I have ever seen. They hide it pretty good, but when everybody (women and children) in the church is answerable to the pastor instead of the father, there's a fly in that ointment.

Of course they deny it, but the proof is in the horror stories of ones who manage to leave.

When I started looking beyond the doctrines I was raised in Baptist/Pentacostal. The fear of being sweeped up in a cult was real for me. I lived in the Waco area an have meet a few Branch Davdians. There's a book named the KINGDOM of the CULTS by Walter R. Martin it has some useful information but also help me realise the indoctrination of mainstream church culture and the twisting of scripture to support it.
I have that book. I liked how he had an Appendix about 7th Day Adventists explaining that they were **not** a cult.
They'd just been unfairly labelled that. I remember hearing in mainstream churches the Adventists were a cult so I thought it was cool Martin put them in the appendix to clear that up.

When I went to college in Boston I stumbled across a cult known as the "Boston Church of Christ". They aren't regular Church of Christ mind you, this is the "Boston" only flavor. I did battle with those guys and then years later when I'm in Moscow I get approached by someone and I just sensed in my spirit what he was. I said what's your group?
He said "Moscow Church of Christ" I said "are you guys the Boston church of christ", yep.
Then in Florida I was working on contract and at the gas station some lady comes up to my buddy and I and starts spewing out stuff. I asked her, "are you Boston church of christ?"
yep

It's amazing how there is a spirit that goes along with those groups and you can just sense it if you've dealt with that flavor before.
Branch Davidians though? whoa

Last edited:
Ultimately, I think cultish behaviour occurs when individuals with a group/fraternity/society, etc are discouraged from thinking, questioning, and arriving for themselves at alternative conclusions different to the ones they have been spoon fed to believe.

For those who might be interested, and have a half hour free, here's a pretty good video that is an analysis of a psychologist's book describing cults and cult-like behavior from a secular pov.

I don't have time to comment more now...

For those who might be interested, and have a half hour free, here's a pretty good video that is an analysis of a psychologist's book describing cults and cult-like behavior from a secular pov.

I don't have time to comment more now...
I've been wanting to ask you @Shibboleth if we don't say your username right, do we have to die?

Back