• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

"Tri-Parenting" and the courts

I doubt we are going to see biblical polygyny legalized in our lifetime, but I do think things like this suggest that there is room for polygamy, which, of course, could be to our benefit. Of course, the article is talking about something totally different, but I do think it suggests doors may open.

I doubt we are going to see biblical polygyny legalized in our lifetime, but I do think things like this suggest that there is room for polygamy, which, of course, could be to our benefit. Of course, the article is talking about something totally different, but I do think it suggests doors may open.
No doubt that if there would be legalization, it would allow Mary, Jane, and Suzie or Jack, Joe, and Jim to marry, in addition to Jack, Mary and Suzie.

But if the courts can recognize that three individuals can each be a parent, is it a stretch to think that they could recognize those three individuals as a family unit?

De facto polygamy exists and laws against it are largely unenforceable unless it's the underage, cult leader style stuff. It's just a question of whether it will be allowed to have legal protection in the future for consenting adults. Cases like these give me hope.

I don't see any need for this. In reality, every child has two biological parents. To start complicating things with extra legal paperwork is silly and likely to result in unforseen downsides. Better to avoid government paperwork than to look at this as an opportunity.

It will only actually affect things in the event of divorce, and even then may if anything be less fair, as the biological mother's rights would be diluted, and whether that is just is highly debatable.

Gay people push for this sort of unnecessary and complex legal recognition simply since, for many of them, the state is effectively their god, the ultimate arbiter of truth. We don't need it.

I don't see any need for this. In reality, every child has two biological parents. To start complicating things with extra legal paperwork is silly and likely to result in unforseen downsides. Better to avoid government paperwork than to look at this as an opportunity.

It will only actually affect things in the event of divorce, and even then may if anything be less fair, as the biological mother's rights would be diluted, and whether that is just is highly debatable.

Gay people push for this sort of unnecessary and complex legal recognition simply since, for many of them, the state is effectively their god, the ultimate arbiter of truth. We don't need it.

I am not coming at this from a need standpoint as much as I am a utility standpoint. You can go back and see my posts in the past arguing that there are virtually zero reasons for government to be involved in marriage. I've advocated using contract laws and wills as opposed to marriage certificates. But, if a plural marriage can utilize the laws of the land in their favor, why not?

If given a choice between living in a vibrant democracy that provided freedom of religion as opposed to a totalitarian regime without religious protections, I would choose freedom of religion. Why? In an open society, I could utilize my time and efforts more effectively in evangelizing, or raising money to help others to evangelize. In a closed, unprotected system, a great amount of energy and resources are spent just keeping things underground.

Poly families could continue to choose to utilize contract laws, trusts, and wills, etc. but they would have to spend resources of time and money to set these things in order. If the laws began to recognize larger family units, then resources could be used for other purposes. It's a utilitarian issue.

In my U.S. state, the only document I need to make sure my wife receives all my assets in case of death is a marriage certificate. If we divorce, things are automatically split 50/50. Custody of children would need to be hashed out, but I would be guaranteed some form of custody or visitation unless proven to be delinquent. Beyond that, I need to set up a will or trust (which I have) to let the courts know what I would want to happen with my children should both my wife and I expire together. But I had to spend time and money to do that.

So, it's just a utility and resource issue that could reduce headaches for many poly families should they choose to go the route of the state.

There's a whole gigantic thread out there right now trying to hash out the law, sacrifice, Grace, etc. I don't see it as a "sin" to register a marriage, send kids to public schools, go to a registered church, worship on Sunday, etc. As children of Grace and leaders of our family, we need to choose things that do not offend our consciences, or violate scripture. But, we must be wise as serpents in seeking to support our families and protect them financially and physically. If the laws begin to change and recognize plural situations for protection of assets and care taking of children, why not utilize?

Okay, gut my answer. Can't wait to see the counter argument ;)

I don't disagree with you on anything major. I just cannot see how this very specific suggestion, court-ordered tri-parenting, offers any benefits for polygynous families. Can you think of a specific example where this would offer any benefits over simple recognition of biological parents + desired custody arrangements stated in a will?

I don't disagree with you on anything major. I just cannot see how this very specific suggestion, court-ordered tri-parenting, offers any benefits for polygynous families. Can you think of a specific example where this would offer any benefits over simple recognition of biological parents + desired custody arrangements stated in a will?
Not really, other than spending resources (time and money) to make such arrangements.

I guess my main reason for posting the link is not for this specific "three parent" topic, rather it's the possibility that the legal system is starting to realize that family situations can be complex and more than just the nuclear, monogamous model. It was more or less a "hey look! this is interesting" link related to poly in that multiple adults were involved.

Btw- I am not suggesting that a child born in a plural family has two mommies either.

Back