• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Ultimatums

This
I did and do too. I know what your talking about.

I learned the hard way to wait on the Lord's timing and not my own. Otherwise you could end up in a situation you don't want to be in.

I pray for patience as much as I pray for another. If it is God's plan it will happen His way and in His timing.
And this
Likewise, more or less. I also had a strong belief that God brought me that particular woman.

Pretty much every command in Scripture is one that only involves ourselves and our willingness to obey. The expectation from above is that we do it immediately upon getting our mind right.
The interesting thing about poly is that many approach it with the same fervency as the rest of His commands: “If I understand it, I must do it and sooner rather than later.”

If you feel the fervency, my advice is to spend the rest of your life improving yourself and your marriage.
Your marriage is the foundation that polygyny will be built upon and it can never become too firm but it will most likely be less firm than it could be.
Make your families spirituality irresistible to someone that YHWH wants to draw into your family. Going out and finding one is putting the cart before the horse.

Start a relationship in haste, repent at leisure.

'why would He even show this to us, walk us through this refining fire and give me a desire to love you and another if we aren't supposed to go there?'

I do recognize part of the answer is self evident... refining fire... and, part of the answer may be to prepare our sons for the Father's next larger move in their generation.

I can relate to this line of questioning. I have long wondered what and how many "Whys" God may have. Looking back on my life it seems in some ways we have been led to this understanding, or even prepared for that life. Maybe it is the next generation that this understanding will matter for, maybe it will be a part of our life and we just aren't there yet.

I wish I had spent less time wishing for it over the years, and more time on the present and making each day count. I kinda laugh at the women worrying about it, because even if you are for the idea it doesn't mean it will happen.

If you feel the fervency, my advice is to spend the rest of your life improving yourself and your marriage.
Your marriage is the foundation that polygyny will be built upon and it can never become too firm but it will most likely be less firm than it could be.
Make your families spirituality irresistible to someone that YHWH wants to draw into your family. Going out and finding one is putting the cart before the horse.

I endorse this message and it has been my approach.

Maybe it is the next generation that this understanding will matter for,

This could very well be it. If I look at scriptures I see God repeatedly laying foundations for moves to come later (Joseph, Moses, John, etc). How much easier is polygamy when the parents are supportive?

@Ancient Paths, when you got married was it something that you felt compelled to do? I mean before you met the woman who is now your wife.
Did you feel a mandate from YHWH that now that you were available for marriage that you just needed to find the right one and tie that knot?
I did.

I think I see where you are coming from @Keith Martin.

The mere fact that God revealed this truth to you despite the thick forest of the current culture and Churchianity feels like your sign to its viability.

I grew up in church and came to faith early, but I've always marveled at the testimonies of those men and women who came to know our Lord from completely godless backgrounds, and pagan upbringings. How did God reveal it to them? How did that feel? I know that PM is not a life or damnation proposition, but it's my only kinship with that type of testimony. I never had a real problem with PM all my life, but it never became real to me until a certain sequence of events that caught me unawares. It told me that I should at least take it seriously for myself.

@steve , I also agree with you. Just because you know you can, doesn't mean you should;). Because our culture is so out of step with this, it's unfathomably hard to even broach the subject seriously with anyone, but especially our wives. Threading that needle is only possible with Gods divine intervention.

Scripture doesn't discourage PM, but let's be real, stories like Elkanah/Hannah and Abraham/Sarah only serve to remind us that human (female) nature is real and that even in their culture of acceptance , PM was still hard. Be willing to count your heavy losses from the beginning. It's not a walk in the park. Just ask any of our "success" stories like the three families who comprise the leadership of BF. Life's been interesting for them.

Scripture doesn't discourage PM, but let's be real, stories like Elkanah/Hannah and Abraham/Sarah only serve to remind us that human (female) nature is real and that even in their culture of acceptance , PM was still hard. Be willing to count your heavy losses from the beginning. It's not a walk in the park. Just ask any of our "success" stories like the three families who comprise the leadership of BF. Life's been interesting for them.

In my experience life is interesting anyway. :p
After this many years I really don't have a preference anymore. I was always the sort to figure the more the merrier, as far as family size is concerned, but so few nowadays have realistic expectations of what married family life is about....its hard to even imagine someone wanting to be a part of our rural living family life.

Maybe after major upheaval, a family that has fresh fruit and veggies, milk, butter and cheese from some gentle friendly sheep, Turkey, lamb (including yummy lamb sausage) and quail to eat, and of course fresh eggs. A wood cookstove and solar oven, a water system including running hot water that does not need the grid. All these things are more valued after one has done without. Maybe oneday someone will want to sign up for canning and weeding the garden. Lol
I am NOT holding my breath.....anymore.

Maybe after major upheaval, a family that has fresh fruit and veggies, milk, butter and cheese from some gentle friendly sheep, Turkey, lamb (including yummy lamb sausage) and quail to eat, and of course fresh eggs. A wood cookstove and solar oven, a water system including running hot water that does not need the grid. All these things are more valued after one has done without. Maybe oneday someone will want to sign up for canning and weeding the garden. Lol
I am NOT holding my breath.....anymore.

That’s kind of like saying, ‘maybe someone will want to join our family after we win the lottery’. They might want to then, but I’d have a hard time believing they had good intentions! Lol

That’s kind of like saying, ‘maybe someone will want to join our family after we win the lottery’. They might want to then, but I’d have a hard time believing they had good intentions! Lol
Valid point, but there is a fairly big difference. Winning the lotto is chance, and only gives a family money (the love of which is the root of all evil) and an affluent (easy/lazy) lifestyle. what I am describing takes planning and foresight, as well as a lot of effort initially, and more important, continually.
It's just old fashioned work and God reliance (no self reliance is really honest) so while motives should be discerned, I doubt anyone would see us or our life as a easy street kinda proposition. ;)
I only meant to say when hard work looks better then going hungry, the hungry may reevaluate what matters. :)
Thanks for the correction @Pacman

Last edited:
Valid point, but there is a fairly big difference. Winning the lotto is chance, and only gives a family money (the love of which is the root of all evil) and an affluent (easy/lazy) lifestyle. what I am describing takes planning and foresight, as well as a lot of effort initially, and more important, continually.
It's just old fashioned work and God reliance (no self reliance is really honest) so while motives should be discerned, I doubt anyone would see us or our life as a easy street kinda proposition. ;)
I only meant to say when hard work looks better then going hungry, the hungry may reevaluate what matters. :)
Thanks for the correction @Pacman

I was more so just joking about it. But, in all seriousness, people will do almost anything for food when they are truly hungry, that doesn’t change the type of person they are.

I was more so just joking about it. But, in all seriousness, people will do almost anything for food when they are truly hungry, that doesn’t change the type of person they are.
I agree, in fact, money will make you more the person you already are. A good person will become better and a bad person will be worse.

At present, I’m not in any danger of finding out which I would become more of. :)

When you have somthing significantly different from the normal, it generally makes it harder to find genuine people to interact with
I was raised on the best side of town, my father was a hard worker and a God fearing man that was wise and made good decisions. We where blessed in many ways.
It was easy to make friends , until they came to our home.
After some bad experiences I learned to be very careful as to who I allowed near, church people are no different.
Those that have not worked for it , don’t generally appreciate the sacrifices you have made to get where you are.

Once you’ve had a genuine relationship the superficial will not satisfy you.

There are plenty that will pretend to be somthing they are not to get somthing they want
Pretending to be hard working is not being hard working

I agree, in fact, money will make you more the person you already are. A good person will become better and a bad person will be worse.

At present, I’m not in any danger of finding out which I would become more of. :)

Wealth amplifies character... I'm pretty sure it was Ben Shapiro I heard that from.

I agree, in fact, money will make you more the person you already are. A good person will become better and a bad person will be worse

I think that is true. However IIRC those who study outcomes of folks who win the lottery struggle to find cases that don't turn out badly. Almost universally bad outcomes; but maybe that is a reflection of the kind of person who buy lotto tickets.

I understand what @Joleneakamama is getting at. To me it is a cultural difference. There are way more people from the city out there than rural folks, and the rural folks tend to be more traditional (i.e. less willing to consider poly). But if you value the rural life, the simple life, getting back to basics what she describes is as precious as it is hard to find and interest in such things has seen a great resurgence in recent years. So it is not all bad news. However far too many of those have a starry eyed view that doesn't take into account the amount of work involved.

Last edited:
I think that is true. However IIRC those who study outcomes of folks who win the lottery struggle to find cases that don't turn out badly. Almost universally bad outcomes; but maybe that is a reflection of the kind of person

My personal thought is that playing the lottery is a bad use of money. Therefore those who win the lottery were already bad with money and that “character flaw” is now amplified. Thus the bad results...

My personal thought is that playing the lottery is a bad use of money. Therefore those who win the lottery were already bad with money and that “character flaw” is now amplified. Thus the bad results...
There’s an exception to every rule, right?

Reporting for duty :D

Back