• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Up to Jerusalem

After a morning of visiting Tel Be'er Sheba, viewing Stratum 2 of the city, the well, and cistern, we made an impromptu swing South to one of my favorite ruins: Avdat. Along the Incense Route, Avdat served the Nabateans well, and after them: the Romans.
Learned something new on that trip: during their intro video, they spoke about their kingdon Capital being Petra in Jordan, which knowledge was floating somewhere in the mush that is my University studies memories. What I didnt previously realiz was that, according to the presented material, Petra is located in the mountains of Edom.

After that little stop, we swung north and are now at the Ein Gedi Camp Lodge. Today is Masada, and looking for pieces of Brimstone in an area that has been proposed as a possible location of Sodom and Gomorrah, as well as some Dead Sea

Tomorrow is Petra.

Petra was a mission and a half. We left the Ein Gedi Camp Lodge (Not the place for people who prefer "canned hunting" to a local experience, but great for me.) At 3am, drove to Eilat, got picked up and taken to the border. A grand $125.00 per person in border fees later, and we were on the 2 hour drive to Petra, armed guard and all.
The experience was a little different than I had hoped. They uad the most recognizable structure roped off to prevent approach. I wouldnt have entered it anyway as I dont go into tombs, but it was altogether amazing to view it.
The while walk in, remaind of water channels on either side of the path were clearly visible. At a slightly steeper angle, and a littke wider, they could almost have doubled as an ancient waterslide. Anyhoot, it got me thinking about the sustainability movement, kibbutzim, and the rest, and hiw modern folks could folliw these ancient examples to channel water to desert dwellings. There was another great example of this at Masada, btw.

We went to Ein Gedi today and we are about to head off to Qumran. Two things befire I sign off this post:

1. Should I open a video/picture log to share all the sites and experiences in detail with those of you would like to see?

2. A Jewish friend of mine in Isrsel gave me 3 Hamsas. There are those who may need to do a quick google search on what a Hamsa is. Biblically, I believe there is but one thing to do with such a device, and I have a plan... I just thought I would give you all the opportunity to have your voices heard on such a matter before the Almighty. Therefore, what say you all? What should be done with these Hamsas?

Biblically, I believe there is but one thing to do with such a device, and I have a plan...
Did the required google search, and thoroughly agree... It is a great shame that true religion is diverted in such directions. We lived in Ireland for some time, and Catholicism there is equally superstitious. For instance, they carry little angels in their wallets to bring good luck and wealth.

Did the required google search, and thoroughly agree... It is a great shame that true religion is diverted in such directions. We lived in Ireland for some time, and Catholicism there is equally superstitious. For instance, they carry little angels in their wallets to bring good luck and wealth.
Yeah, but many evangelicals are just as superstitious. When we vote, we expect our politicians to bring us good luck and wealth.

*note: I endorse voting and good citizenship.;)

Yeah, but many evangelicals are just as superstitious. When we vote, we expect our politicians to bring us good luck and wealth.

*note: I endorse voting and good citizenship.
It's off-topic, but that's part of why I took a... let's call it a fast... from voting last year, and I don't regret the decision. Politics have gotten too fear-driven, and I had to take a step back to clear my mind and remember to trust in the Lord.

Well, there are three less Hamsas in the world...

Anyway, back on the trail. Yesterday we went up to Tel Dan. That is the site where Jeroboam, son of Nebat set up one of two cult centers by which he led Israel into sin. They found the site during excavations. It exists there today. In my opinion, it should be treated with the same care as those Hamsas...

Oddly, going to that region in particular felt like a bit of a homecoming. I am not quite sure as to why.

Today we visited the Living History Village at Nazareth. I highly recommend it to anyone who would like a glimpse back in time to the 1st Century world of the Messiah. They have an informative website for anyone looking for further information.

Next stop was Har Megiddo, otherwise known as Armageddon. With at least 25 layers of occupation on the site, and about as many conquests, it is a real treasure trove of history in the region. For those of you aware of the debate between Solomon's stables and Ahab's storehouse, it seems recent archaeological evidence confirms the stables theory. Israel Finkelstein must be less than enthusiastic to hear...

Anyway, the Biblical Archaeology major in me overcame my fear of heights and my fear of being underground (neither completely incapacitating, obviously) and had me descend into the incredible water system of the city.

My travelling buddy, realized I wasn't kidding when I explained that Israel is overrun with cats. Taking a day to count, he counted at least 34 stray cats. Good times.

He is also having a sense of humor failure where it comes to Israeli drivers. It amuses me because it reminds me of when I first came to Israel in 2004. I am surprisingly okay with the insanity now, however. Perhaps that is what 5 years in Africa will do to you.

I think all this traipsing up and down Tels is great exercise, though. I am feeling strong, now in week 3.

Tomorrow is Acre. Then, up to Jerusalem for Sukkot (The Feast of Tabernacles).

Pray for my friend, my bad puns are beginning to do his head in.
8^)

Today is the day: Up to Jerusalem! Sukkot is going to start, so we are headed up to Jerusalem to keep it as best we are able in this modern time.

Acco was fun yesterday. We got invited to volunteer in an active dig. The Biblical Archaeology major in me was super keen, but my travelling buddy wasn't so much. So, we ended up doing more of the tourist bit, visiting the massive and impressive Crusader Citadel, Turkish baths from the Ottoman era, Templar Tunnel, etc.

I am, however, inspired to find out whether there are any active digs in Jerusalem to volunteer at while at Sukkot... I already have Indiana Jones music playing through my head again at the prospect!

Anyhow, if I don't get another chance before the holiday, have a great first evening of Sukkot everyone!

Preparing to close out Sukkot with this final Shabbat of the holiday. We went to the Holocaust memorial today. When I was here last, I never went. My mother once told me of having searched the one family branch when she went up. Today, I searched the others, Samuelson, Roden, Beh, etc.

I saw many more names, people who came from the areas my family came from. I don't know if any particular one that I saw today was a close relative, but it still really got to me.

Still, I will continue to celebrate this time of Sukkot with joy and gladness. I thank the Father for being so gracious as to bring me here during this season.

Sukkot blessings to you all from Jerusalem!

Preparing to close out Sukkot with this final Shabbat of the holiday. We went to the Holocaust memorial today. When I was here last, I never went. My mother once told me of having searched the one family branch when she went up. Today, I searched the others, Samuelson, Roden, Beh, etc.

I saw many more names, people who came from the areas my family came from. I don't know if any particular one that I saw today was a close relative, but it still really got to me.

Still, I will continue to celebrate this time of Sukkot with joy and gladness. I thank the Father for being so gracious as to bring me here during this season.

Sukkot blessings to you all from Jerusalem!
Blessings!

Back in the USA with lots of pictures and memories in tow. There is so much to digest, but one thing is for sure: celebrating the Biblical holidays in Jerusalem is like nothing else on earth. Scripture says the males must go up at least three times in the year. I can say that if you get the opportunity to experience this, you should do it!

Back