Voluntary micro chips

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mojo, Jul 25, 2017.

1. andrew

andrew Administrator Staff Member Male

I've been experimenting with DDG, and am about ready to lose google altogether.

Mojo and Shibboleth like this.
  2. Mojo

Mojo Well-Known Member Male

By forcing diversity Google will eventually lose talent they should have secured. Those talented folks will join competitors...and Goggle may go the way of MySpace sooner than later.

andrew likes this.
  3. andrew

andrew Administrator Staff Member Male

And I am fine with that! :p

Mojo likes this.
  4. Mojo

Mojo Well-Known Member Male

Thanks for the suggestion. Just made DDG my default search engine.

5. FollowingHim

FollowingHim Administrator Staff Member Male

Startpage.com is the best search engine in my opinion, it uses Google so usually gives more relevant results than DuckDuckGo for the things I tend to search for, but anonymises everything so Google doesn't know it was you doing the search.

However there are some things that Google deliberately hides but DuckDuckGo does not. As a simple example, try searching for pirated movie torrent files on Google - you won't get anything, and it will appear that nobody has put that movie on the internet. The same search on DuckDuckGo will reveal dozens of sites you can download the movie from. I'm not advocating movie piracy, this is just an easy way to see Google's filtering explicitly, they are removing content that is illegal in the USA, while DuckDuckGo is not. If they're doing this, what else are they filtering out that they don't want searchers to see? The way torrent files are so effectively hidden by Google that it appears they simply don't exist shows that if Google decided to censor anything else, Christian theology for instance, it would effectively vanish from the internet as most people would never find it. Most people have become completely dependent on Google to simply use the internet. So it's good to jump between search engines if you can't find something, just to be sure.

I leave my phone's GPS off, but turn it on occasionally to get directions through a city, or to a rural client who I've never visited before. It's useful, but the potential for tracking is dangerous. But even if Android says it's switched off, Google could be turning it on behind the scenes and watching me without displaying that fact to me, and I'd never know. I'm increasingly considering getting a basic old brick phone again, I no longer trust this smartphone sitting in my pocket and potentially spying on everything I say. Yet I'm addicted so I keep it...

andrew, Shibboleth and aineo like this.