• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Wedding rings and Paganism

Windblown wears a ring and I do not. As MarkC says, she's bound to me. I'm not bound to her. Additionally, as Mark also alluded to, it signals to other men that she is not available.

I am guess it signals to those men serving the Father. As I have seen with others, a ring doesn't mean anything. They might even have a ring on their own finger......

I don't wear a ring. I would like to, but when I got pregnant with my first I lost a lot of weight and it didn't fit anymore. I wore it around my neck but then found that difficult with a baby (having it dip into his dirty nappy as I was trying to clean him up was the last straw!). I got my rings resized so they fit properly again. Then as I had more children I put on more weight so they don't fit me anymore. I don't want to get them resized up again because the solution should be losing weight, which is what I desperately want to do.
At first I felt really bad about not wearing them, and honestly Samuel was a bit uncomfortable about it. But in the 6 or so years that I haven't been wearing them no one has said anything to me. No guy has looked at my hand and thought I was single and tried it on. Of course always having a bunch of kids with me or being obviously pregnant could be stopping them ;).

It is interesting that in the normal (read monogamous) culture that surrounds us, the females wear a ring from the time of their engagement signifying that they are "off the market".
But a male typically doesn't wear one until the time of the marriage ceremony.

I haven't worn one since mine went missing about a dozen years ago. I feel that YHWH showed me that I had accidentally thrown it away, and that it was His will that I had. That I wasn't to signal that I was off of the market.

Windblown wears a ring and I do not. As MarkC says, she's bound to me. I'm not bound to her. Additionally, as Mark also alluded to, it signals to other men that she is not available.
Same here although its because I lost it years ago and work in a field that it is a safety hazard. I am looking seriously into the idea of a signet ring that would have a family crest or something on it. If I do, it wont be worn on the ring finger left hand but will be for the power finger right hand. If i do a signet ring, I will probably do one for each member of the family. Mine and my sons will be very similar, my wife's and daughters will be somewhat different but still a signet.

Signet ring sounds interesting. Our family has worn the James Avery Faith-Hope-Love ring on the right ring finger as a similar/related concept. (The theological virtues and related imagery (cross, anchor, and heart) have deep significance for us.)

Stopped wearing both rings (married-left, family-right) when I gained weight at a desk job a few years ago, but have lost a bit of weight since the first of this year, so at some point I'll start wearing again. I'm comfortable wearing my wedding ring because at this point, and until God specifically says otherwise, I am off the market. Not looking, not interested.

I am guess it signals to those men serving the Father. As I have seen with others, a ring doesn't mean anything. They might even have a ring on their own finger......

But at least they can't say they weren't WARNED!

I took the same stance in regards to my research. There is nothing in this culture that signifies taken or not available as the wedding ring on a woman. The next runner-up would be a 4000+ Year tradition of covering your head in public.( It fell out of favor with western believers in the last century because of feminism )

I have my wedding ring but rarely wear it for the previously said reasons. Mainly for important family meetings or dinners.

I also had a new tradition I started in my home and family. Recognizing around the world not everyone could purchase a ring of the material we can here. I made a promise to TLS2, that at the 5-year mark we would hold ceremony and upgrade her and my ring (because she is first wife) to a material of higher grade. We decided this would be gold. More specifically, my ring, would be to a ring that is specifically designed to hold one stone for each of my wives corresponding to stones in their rings.
But again even with this upgrade, I would only wear it at special occasions.

My wife and I have "Dodi" rings ("I am my beloveds and my beloveds is mine." Song of Solomon 6:3). I love them. The only time it's been off my finger since the day of our wedding was at work for a moment last year when a manager insisted I remove it as there is a "safety rule" forbidding rings while on duty. I removed it while in his presence in that moment, but informed him I believed it to be a violation of my personal convictions and that it was the only time it had ever been off my finger since my wedding day. I am happy to say that he apologized for the stupidity of the rule.

When married to my ex wife I wore my wedding ring from the day we married til the day the "divorce" was final. Except for once briefly to have it cleaned while visiting the jewelry store where I had originally purchased our rings. Even though we were actually separated for about a year and a half before the divorce.

All this to say that I guess the ring has always been important to me personally, simply because it's become (culturally) in a way the physical "symbol" of a covenant that I've entered into and take very seriously.

I'll admit that although I've been passionate about my "wedding rings" and what they symbolize, my views concerning them are quite possibly changing slowly over time.

All good stories from those who do and those who do not and the reasons behind them. This same development can extend into so many other facets of our ever evolving understanding of Faith.

I'd like to take the opportunity just to state what may be obvious for some but, perhaps, not everyone. Just because something started as one thing does not mean it cannot change to something else. Wedding rings are a great example.

When we (most of us) first put on our bands, we understood marriage to be a certain idea and that idea was reflected in and given "power" through the rings. Now we have a new understanding of marriage, but that does not automatically make the ring invalid to the people involved. It's a personal decision.

I completely understand and agree with those who want to cast away their bands as they now view them as a sign of slavery to a heretical, "church" induced, monogamy-only, governmentally enforced farce. I can understand those who want to get legal divorces, rip up their state-issued contracts and completely remove any form of tainting. But,.... I also understand and agree with those that embrace their new understanding of marriage and simply reject the old knowledge while still using the old object's outward representation of that new understanding. The objects have no more [perceived] power than we give them. But to some, their very existence cannot coincide with their renewed minds and is anathema.

All that to say this. Wear 'em, don't wear 'em. You just need to understand your own "why". That's the end game.

Yikes, Net!
Have a bowl of Wheaties and Ovaltine today????

Wonder Twins (or triplets, or quadruplets) with your wife (s)

All that to say this. Wear 'em, don't wear 'em. You just need to understand your own "why". That's the end game.
I like the way you think! :D

Back