• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Weddings, Receptions, and Other Celebrations

andrew

Administrator
Staff member
Real Person
Male
I am so blown away by the sheer genius of @WifeOfHisYouth's recent post (see it here) that I wanted to open this thread (a) as a shout out to WOHY and hubs @Asforme&myhouse for having a brilliant idea, and (b) to open the door to general discussion by anyone interested in having any kind of community recognition of a wedding, anniversary, or whatever.

Some of us have been doing this long enough to have enough friends on the ground to enjoy fellowship and celebration in our local communities, but when you're first getting started this can be prit-T lonely. We are happy to facilitate wedding ceremonies at retreats, or receptions to recognize and celebrate a recent private wedding, or anniversary parties. Just give us some lead time and we'll work with you.

When I read WOHY's post/question, I thought it was a super brilliant idea and your follow-up Andrew is most encouraging. Excellent!

I know this isn’t a wedding, but definitely a celebration!: for those of you who prayed for my daughter who had gone into labor while we were at the TX retreat - thank you! They had a healthy baby boy and named him Luke :)

Attachments

• E65664D0-C3C7-4A4B-B80F-8B768EB94133.jpeg
    E65664D0-C3C7-4A4B-B80F-8B768EB94133.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
Congrats!!

Any time i hear the name Luke, I think of this song..."....Luke's waiting for the judgment day...."
I have no clue what the song is really about, but it's got a great Luke line :p

@julieb has this changed where celebrations are no longer allowed at retreats?

@WifeOfHisYouth, kinda, I believe we all agreed that it would be better if only small ceremonies would happen before or after retreat days. We are very happy to be a part of the growth of a family, so I am sure things can be worked out to everyone's satisfaction.

This makes sense to me. It would be very easy for the main purposes of a Biblical Families retreat to be overwhelmed and subsumed by the pomp, circumstance, drama and emotional overload of wedding proceedings.

What would stop any of us from inviting people from this ekklesia to attend our separate weddings, anyway?

It would be very easy for the main purposes of a Biblical Families retreat to be overwhelmed and subsumed by the pomp, circumstance, drama and emotional overload of wedding proceedings.
Dadgum, you described it perfectly.

Back