• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

What and how long is an "age"?

Scarecrow

There was an interesting topic asking if Adam and Eve were the only two on the earth initially. Is it possible that there were many on the earth before Adam and Eve, but the end of an "Age" was the end of their time and a new "Age" was started with Adam and Eve?

Isaiah 60:15 Whereas you have been forsaken and hated, with no one passing through, I will make you majestic forever, a joy from age to age.

Matthew 12:32 And whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

Matthew 24:3 As he sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately, saying, "Tell us, when will these things be, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the close of the age?"

There are also passages referring to a "generation" but seem to be talking about more that a human "generation" as if the people of this "age" were considered one generation.

Matthew 24:34 Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place.

I don't really have any information or scriptures on the subject, but I was kinda thinking along the same lines as you Scarecrow at one point. It just seemed to me that once we are done here on this earth that we will become angels, so it only stands to think, where did the existing angels come from? Maybe another age before this one? I do believe that the dinosaurs were wiped out in the flood and that carbon dating is SERIOUSLY messed up.

The Duke Of Marshall said:
I don't really have any information or scriptures on the subject, but I was kinda thinking along the same lines as you Scarecrow at one point. It just seemed to me that once we are done here on this earth that we will become angels, so it only stands to think, where did the existing angels come from? Maybe another age before this one? I do believe that the dinosaurs were wiped out in the flood and that carbon dating is SERIOUSLY messed up.

OK, maybe I missed that verse. Where does it say we will become angels?

What Scarecrow is suggesting has been taught by some for a long time. Here is one example:

http://www.kjvbible.org/

I personally don't ascribe to it.

I don't have the specifics off hand but what comes to mind is "become the sons of God" and "become like Gods"

Of course those memories come from the king james diversion.

It's really more of a curiosity...I don't have any scripture to conclude that there is anything more than what we are aware of...nor have I had any dreams or visions about it...I have over time come across a number of different ideas and theories and it is interesting to contemplate some of the "what ifs". I guess my imagination just got out and decided to play a little.

I don't have the specifics off hand but what comes to mind is "become the sons of God" and "become like Gods"

Of course those memories come from the king james diversion.

This might be more in the area of theosis, don't you think?

It just seemed to me that once we are done here on this earth that we will become angels, so it only stands to think, where did the existing angels come from?

Matthew 22:30 NKJV For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels of God in heaven.

Jesus did not say we will become angels, He said we will be like the angels, and He limited that comparison to the state of marriage that we will experience after the resurrection.

The angels were created during the six days of creation - some possibly on the first day, some on the fourth. I'll look up the references and put that in another post if you wish.

The fact that we will "neither marry nor [be] given in marriage, but [will be] like angels" opens up another can of worms for us to speculate on. Those who believe that marriage=sex=sin (in general, the same crowd that radically opposes polygyny) say we will all become sexless. Others say that the relationships between men and women in Heaven will be like "free love" for eternity.

I have yet to form an opinion on that, but the truth is probably different than anything we can imagine.
1 Corinthians 2:9 NKJV But as it is written: "EYE HAS NOT SEEN, NOR EAR HEARD, NOR HAVE ENTERED INTO THE HEART OF MAN THE THINGS WHICH GOD HAS PREPARED FOR THOSE WHO LOVE HIM."
(It's Paul who is SHOUTING in that verse, not me!)

now there is a verse that we can plan our lives around :D

(allowing YHWH to be god as we wait in anticipation of things too wonderful for us to contemplate)

Mark Twain is reported to have said,
"It's not the things in the Bible that I don't understand that trouble me, it's the things that I do understand that trouble me."
Theorizing is like recess at school, it's fun for awhile, but there is no work getting done. :lol:

Scarecrow said:
There was an interesting topic asking if Adam and Eve were the only two on the earth initially. Is it possible that there were many on the earth before Adam and Eve, but the end of an "Age" was the end of their time and a new "Age" was started with Adam and Eve?

I answered this question in your "Orion correlation" topic. Yes, there were people here before Adam and Eve. Scripture states "And Cain said unto the LORD, My punishment is greater than I can bear. Behold, thou hast driven me out this day from the face of the earth; and from thy face shall I be hid; and I shall be a fugitive and a vagabond in the earth; and it shall come to pass, that every one that findeth me shall slay me. And the LORD said unto him, Therefore whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold. And the LORD set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him. And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden." Gen. 4:13-16 Who were the people that Cain was afraid of? Could be people that were here before Adam & Eve? I think so!

aphesis paraptoma said:
In the matter of believers becoming angels, I think Christ’s glorified body was not an angel’s body and the Corinthians were to enjoy a heavenly body, 1Cor.15:42-49. The Corinthians were going to judge angels and the world (1Cor.6) suggesting the elevation of redeemed people in that calling and in that day above angels.

Thank you for bringing this up! That's all I was hearing when I was reading the posts.

"Theorizing is like recess at school"

yup...just letting the imagination out to play a bit...nothing serious...

Carbon dating manuscripts is not the same as Uranium dating rocks

Carbon dating is based on an assumption for what percent Carbon 14/(Carbon 14 + Carbon 12) a living creature has in it while it is alive. After an animal or plant dies the percentage changes but it remains relatively constant during life or show they assume. It is based on an assumed starting amount being the same as in living animals and plants today, and therefor it has more validity then Uranium dating rocks

Uranium dating is based on the rocks starting at a certain percentage uranium but it does not work because we were never there when the rock was formed to know what percentage it started with. And based on the percentage they assume a newly formed rock is often considered old.

Often in math class they simply assumed that rocks started at 100% Uranium but did not explain why they would not have started somewhere else before they became 100% Uranium or why they could not have started with some Lead. If you started with the assumption that the rocks started with the same percentage they have today they would all be zero years old exactly, therefor you cannot do the same thing as with carbon dating to get a starting point.

There is some validity to the presumptions involved with carbon dating but no validity (that I know of) to the assumptions involved with Uranium dating.

There are numerous other limitations to both I have not mentioned.

"Here's the deal, our Lord was not resurrected with an angelic body (consider the transfiguration) and Philippians is clear, we shall enjoy a body fashioned like His (non-engelic) body."

Oh yes...and that is where my imagination gets off the chain... ; )

Scarecrow said:
to which nicola said:
I answered this question in your "Orion correlation" topic.

Hey, I thought I answered that question! :D

and

plus a few other posts in those threads.

Looks like I didn't convince everyone, though... :lol:

PolyDoc said:
Scarecrow said:

I will just say that I see zero evidence from my understanding of Christian scripture to support that idea although that does not make it untrue in and of itself, nor does it mean there is no evidence I have not seen.

I will also say that it may pose some problems since how could there be a day on earth before the first day, if there was would it be a first day?

If Adam and Eve were created on the sixth day. Then when were these other people, before the beginning?

That being said I suppose you could create a strange way to read and understand Genesis 1 and or use some passages from outside Genesis 1 to try to justify this idea, if so what passages would they be?

You might find such ideas in other religions.

Back