• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

What Are You Favorite Family/Parenting Books?

wifeone

Hello all,

My baby #3 is on the way. Soon I will have a newborn, a 1 year old and a 2 year old. I wanna get this parenting thing down a bit better.
:?: Can any of you other moms and dads out there please recommend parenting books that you feel were really helpful and encouraging for you? (Anything from taking care of yourself while taking care of kids, to homeschooling, to discipline, to being a stay at home mom, to maintaining a good relationship with your husband....anything and everything that was really helpful for you.)

Thanks so much!

Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend have offered some of the greatest works for our times concerning family. They have the classic work Boundaries, and then the book Boundaries in Marriage. Also their book Loving People is one of the best works for both genders.

Additionally, Dr. Eggerich's work, Love and Respect, is an excellent book that helps couples balance the gender roles biblically.

For parenting resources the numerous books by Tedd Tripp are great. A great practical work is Teach Them Diligently (can't recall author's name) as it actually has a biblical discipline guide in the back of the book.

Dr. Kent Hughs and his wife Barbara Hughs have some solid works: The Disciplines of a Godly Man, The Disciplines of Godly Woman, and also The Disciplines of a Godly Family.

Dr. Harley also has a great one called His Needs and Her Needs. A great book on keeping a marriage holistic and balanced.

Hope this helps.

Oh, one more, Lou Priolo, Biblical Husbanding is a great help as well.

Dr. Allen

To Train Up a Child - by Michael and Debi Pearl can be found at www.nogreaterjoy.org. This book focuses on the importance of taking the time to train children (and starting early when they are babies) rather than just punish them/disciplining them without ever even teaching them what you expect. This is a short book - very quick read.

Created to Be His Helpmeet - by Debi Pearl also at above link. This is my main extra-biblical resource on what it means to be a godly wife and mother. She can be a bit crude/harsh at times, but there are a lot of hard truths most of us women don't get in this culture.

The Pursuit of Godly Seed by Denny Kenaston covers the parenting aspect as well as chapters for husbands and chapters for wives. Might be a little ultra-conservative for many liberal Christians today, but you cannot argue with the overall premise and Biblical advice.

Aside from godly advice, if your children are not on good sleep schedules, I highly recommend "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Dr. Marc Weissbluth. I always tell people that I stay sane having 4 small children 6 and under b/c of being consistent with sleep schedules. I really think this relieves so much stress when your 4 year old is still napping and your baby is napping 3-4 hours a day and sleeping 11-12 hours a night, so he/she is not fussy. Children are also more obedient when rested.

Hope this helps!!!

Parenting With Love and Logic ... can't recommend it highly enough. I think that there's a version aimed at toddlers now, but haven't read it. There's another aimed at helping once they hit their teens, and a number of other books as well. Goto http://www.loveandlogic.com/ and request a free catalog. I've never been disappointed by one of their products.

AND the website has TONS of free resources in print and audio. You can stay busy quite a while just digesting them!!!

CecilW said:
Parenting With Love and Logic ... can't recommend it highly enough. I think that there's a version aimed at toddlers now, but haven't read it. There's another aimed at helping once they hit their teens, and a number of other books as well. Goto http://www.loveandlogic.com/ and request a free catalog. I've never been disappointed by one of their products.

Oh I couldn't agree more ! I've read a lot of parenting books and the "Parenting With Love And Logic" series are by far the best ones I have ever read. I haven't seen the toddler book but I have read their original book as well as the one aimed at teenagers. These books should be in every parent's home. I would also recommend "The Strong Willed Child" by Dr. James Dobson. :)
Blessings,
Fairlight

Child Training Tips by Reb Bradley is short, to-the-point, and filled with Scripture as its foundation.

Greetings Wifeone,

Just chiming in to share a suggestion on a good family book that you inquired of. I just recently finished a great book for Godly wives. It's both challenging and encouraging. Very biblically balanced in its doctrine and teaching examples. Open honest, forthright and compassionate. All the while, Not "watering down the Gospel, or being politically correct!" ;) Vision Forum Ministries puts it out, it's called "Passionate House Wives Desperate for God." A challenge to go deeper in our relationship with the Lord. While challenging all women of the faith, to go to prayer seeking God's will and guidance to be the biblical help meets that He calls us to be to our dh's - our earthly head - HOH. Two Christian wives & mothers wrote it, sharing their walks of faith and learning journeys of becoming totally dependent upon Yeshua and their dh's . Learning to find Strength, God's Wisdom and Joy for the journey in being in submission to their dh's in all things.

I also will agree with both Cecil and Fairlight's recommendation of the "Love and Logic series for parenting." Another great one that I think Dr.Allen mentioned is Dr. Emerson Eeckridge (sp)? book for couples, "Love & Respect." I pray that the Lord imparts His Wisdom of what learning tools/books, etc that He'd have you use for your family and for His Glory. Buckle up and enjoy the learning journey of life, parenting, marriage, etc! :)

F.S.

Back