• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

What do you call the other mothers?

Emily

Real Person
Female
This might be a simple question, but I'm wondering: in a plural family, what would you call the other mothers? You call your birth mom "Mother", "Mommy", "Mom" etc, but what about the other mothers? I don't think there's rules about it, and I don't have my own opinion on it. I just got curious and wanted to know what you ladies think.

We decided to just use our given names. The kids only have ONE mother but they can still have multiple "aunties" or female adults with authority over them in family.

This might be a simple question, but I'm wondering: in a plural family, what would you call the other mothers? You call your birth mom "Mother", "Mommy", "Mom" etc, but what about the other mothers? I don't think there's rules about it, and I don't have my own opinion on it. I just got curious and wanted to know what you ladies think.
In are family the children call the other mom mommy and then there name. My name is hard to say for the little ones so they call me mommy shell. It really is just what the family and moms decide is best and comfortable for them. It is going to be different in any given family on how they see it works best for them.

Around here we all get called Mom or Mama and sometimes Mommy. Eric is the only one of the kids who gets away with calling Cydne and Amy by their first names and he does so respectfully so it's not a problem.

I’ve wondered about this too, and think it would come down to what’s most comfortable for each family. I think I’d prefer to have some kind of honorific, be it “momma” or “auntie”, etc - just first names would be too informal for me. But I’d also want to consider how the other momma(s) feel as well.

I’ve wondered about this too, and think it would come down to what’s most comfortable for each family. I think I’d prefer to have some kind of honorific, be it “momma” or “auntie”, etc - just first names would be too informal for me. But I’d also want to consider how the other momma(s) feel as well.

I would've felt better if I was called "Aunt" or "Auntie" with the first wife's kids because of... Guess you would say "an adjustment period" for everyone.

I think it is "dangerous" for a child to call another woman a mother, because that would take away the authority of the mother.

Take the case of Rachel and Leah. Each had authority over their children.

I preferred to be called by my name.

To be honest, I personally don't like the idea of calling the other woman an "aunt". I don't want to think of her as an aunt. I would prefer to think of her as my "step-mom". I don't know why exactly, but maybe it's because my real aunts are not good and they don't feel like family to me? So, I think would call my birth mom "Mommy" and the other woman "Stepmommy".
This isn't advise, it's just how I feel.

I know this is an older thread but it was something I recently encountered. My God children call me Yaya, my grands call me Yaya. When and if I become a part of his family I would like to be called Yaya. It isn't a title of a specific position in family rather an endearing nic-name. My great grand mother was known by all as Mimi. Everyone called her that regardless of who they were or age. Yaya would be the same. Or i hope it would be anyway.

Thanks, Patricia! I just remembered something I forgot to post here.

Awhile ago now I was talking with a lady friend, and I was telling her why I want to call the other mom "Stepmommy" and not aunt or by given name. And she gave me the idea of: instead of calling her "Stepmommy", I can call her "mom" in a different language. I think that's a great idea! So if my dad marries another woman someday, I might call her Ema - the Hebrew word for "mom".

We use MTheirname. So I'm MKate and my SW will be MChris. We don't correct the kids if they call their non birth mom, Mom though. My SW kids have called me mom and I don't say anything just answer it. The M before the name means Mother.

I prefer that children who are not mine call me Miss and then first or last name (depending on relationship), but somehow that has not taken with any of the children, lol. My SW’s son just calls me by my first name, but that has more to do with the transition period into one family. My best friends kids were introduced to me by my first name, so that has stuck with them also. But my son calls all of them Miss and their first names. If there are women who are outside of our family, I would prefer the use of their last names, but I generally leave that up to what they prefer.

I'm the second mom . They call me mutter wich is mother in German .for my German heritage . But I also get called mom mommy ma hey sometimes .

My husband's other missus was a friend of our family for over a year before things changed. Our children all call her by her first name, and her son calls me by my first name. It will be interesting to see if that changes with younger additions to the family....but when you have children in their late teens and even 20's, you don't expect them to see someone close to their age as a parent. The respect is still there, but I think it would be wrong to insist on them calling someone mom that is not. My dad remarried after I was married. I love his wife, but I don't call her mom.
Just my 2 cents worth.

My husband's other missus was a friend of our family for over a year before things changed. Our children all call her by her first name, and her son calls me by my first name. It will be interesting to see if that changes with younger additions to the family....but when you have children in their late teens and even 20's, you don't expect them to see someone close to their age as a parent. The respect is still there, but I think it would be wrong to insist on them calling someone mom that is not. My dad remarried after I was married. I love his wife, but I don't call her mom.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Steve's three oldest daughters by Shari all call me 'Megan'. I'm good with that.

Steve's three oldest daughters by Shari all call me 'Megan'. I'm good with that.
Nothing wrong with using a perfectly good name!
Some parents to teach children respect require their children address adults as Mr. or Mrs. and use their last name. Mormons use brother or sister with a last name. I realized long ago that made me indistinguishable from my four sisters and mom.
My husband called me by my name....until the terms of endearment became more used. The children always called me mama (why my user name is what it is) now I'm getting used to hearing my name...again. ;)

Back