• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

What even would you do with another wife?

Chapter three, opening paragraph......
Love ya, man! Can't wait to see you Saturday! But still probably not gonna write a manual.... :p

I did catch myself saying 'probably' though. Am I weakening in the face of your relentless prodding? :eek:

Look, sometimes we over-spiritualize this. For the vast majority of people marriage is an option not a imperative. For the vast majority of us our second marriage is also an option, not an imperative. Does it make sense? Do you like her? Will she augment the mission or distract from it? Do you just not want the headache?

There are people who are called to specific paths. Of course. And some marriages are ordained. I believe earnestly that windblown was God's best option for my life but God is as interested if not more interested in how we do what we do as what we actually do (assuming its in line with scripture).

If you don't want to take a woman then don't. If you do then do. Just do it God's way. But in most cases He is neither forbidding or compelling you to marry.

And by the by, I would use a second wife to expand my tribe and leave behind godly seed to support each other in the hard times to come. If you want a woman to be your help meet you have to know what you need help with.

Love ya, man! Can't wait to see you Saturday! But still probably not gonna write a manual.... :p

I did catch myself saying 'probably' though. Am I weakening in the face of your relentless prodding? :eek:

You are actually writing it already. We just might need to compile all the different posts, get nathan's letter to his wives and have Ron pull quotes at different places. This damn thing is practically written already.

The acceptance and teaching of polygyny, I view as a stepping stone rather than a stumbling block for those who see that traditional monogamy/matriarchy has failed and are looking for answers to these dilema’s.

I see polyamy as an 'embrace and extend' rejoiner in the culture wars.

First of all, I think one should be called to this, so if you are not being called to this, you really should not do it.

For me I think of a wife as a great blessing, just like children are a great blessing. More than just they are cute and fun to have around, but a blessing in the sense that the force you to grow and mature in ways that you would not if you did not have them. And if you have done a good job with children as they get older they can really be a direct blessing to your own ministry and then they even start to have a ministry of their own and your family become a light to the community. I always wanted as many children as the good Lord would bless me with.

Likewise, a wife is also a great blessing. She will make you mature and grow as a person and as a Christian. And certainly she can contribute to your ministry, especially if you view your family as your primary ministry. Likewise a second, or more wives can also be a great compliment and blessing from the Lord.

There is a part of me that says, I am 55. My kids will probably only be home another couple of years. Do I really want to mess with it (polygamy)? But I also know that basically that is the selfish part of me speaking. The part of me that wants to spend hours playing video games or watching TV and get fat and then rot and die. There is no honor or glory in playing it safe and doing less. Nor in staying under the radar, laying low, or hoping no one will bother you and interfere with your comfort. I just do not think that is what I am called to do with this precious gift of life that I have been given.

There is more to life than simply avoiding the rocks and the shoals. We are supposed to sail out and do things. Try things. Do hard things. Make a difference if we can. Not in a humanistic way that we are going to personally save the world, but more like doing things, and trying things would be more pleasing to the Lord.

It is not different than how you think of your own kids. Do you want them to sit around and watch TV or play video games all day long in selfish indulgement, or do you want them to get out and do something, anything?

(Cue Lee Ann Womack: I Hope You Dance)

Doooooooooooooooooooood! Preach that stuff Brothah! Yes and Amen!

False dichotomy, basically.

Says you! That's my secret, Andrew, everyone's an alien to me...

Nah I get what you're saying though. They either fit or they don't, and if she fits, she won't disrupt the ministry. And if she bolts, it was never meant to be.

First of all, I think one should be called to this, so if you are not being called to this, you really should not do it.

Enter my extreme suspicion for anyone claiming to be called into anything. I have dichotomous thinking here too. For me the two camps of people receiving a calling are "I literally heard a voice" and "I really want to do this", with not a lot of middle ground. What do you think?
Also, I've never been Womack'd before. It's a very surreal experience for me.

God is able to send a woman into your life who shall help you with problems that you. Didn't. Even. Know. You had.

Truly, He is capable of wondrous things.

For me, ministry is anything I can do to further the cause of Christ. Giving out a drink of water in His name, leading someone to a saving knowledge of Christ, lifting up His name, or raising an incredible family that by its very existence and structure, points others to the Christ of the Bible, not just the Christianity of our culture.

Says you! That's my secret, Andrew, everyone's an alien to me...
Okay, well, I hadn't considered that.... :confused::D

Nah I get what you're saying though. They either fit or they don't, and if she fits, she won't disrupt the ministry. And if she bolts, it was never meant to be.
Yes and no. Like yes, I agree with what you said. But I was looking at it another way, in that it's not really a black or white thing. There are degrees of "fit", and how far you're willing to go to make things work. The extreme cases are easy; it's the borderline cases that require discernment and a tolerance for risk.

Also, I've never been Womack'd before. It's a very surreal experience for me.
Okay, totally lost. 'Splain, Lucy!

Enter my extreme suspicion for anyone claiming to be called into anything.
Ask that person "what do you mean by that?" and see what you get.... ;)

For me, ministry is anything I can do to further the cause of Christ. Giving out a drink of water in His name, leading someone to a saving knowledge of Christ, lifting up His name, or raising an incredible family that by its very existence and structure, points others to the Christ of the Bible, not just the Christianity of our culture.
Eggs zackly. Every Christian is a minister.

Thanks guys for your explanation on ministry and calling.
And I must say that I thought a knew English to some extent, but still learn a lot of new expressions each day (thanks to Google Translate, and of course I am also affected with how words and expressions are used here at my place).
Don't forget that much of English is a hijacking of other languages. Latin and Greek roots are essential to understanding it. The whole "min" and "mag" from minister and magistrate are Latin based. Add in old English, French, and Spanish adopted words...and ...whoa!

Last edited:
I might miss the point here due to the language barrier, but what do you guys exactly define as a ministry? Or even a calling in life?
In my understanding that a ministry would be something a missionary would do, but now I get the feeling that you mean something else... And, well, if I was asked about my calling, then I would answer something like “leading the church in worship” as I used to play in the worship band for years (now I am not able due to health issues). Nothing directly related to my family or whatsoever.

So, sorry to ask dumb questions, but can just someone explain?

Actually those are excellent questions.

A missionary is just someone with a mission. Which is basically all of us. The Bible is filled with exhortation to participate in the fight. Civilians would not need the armor of God, you know what I am saying? We are all in the fight, we are all in the army. And if we are in the army of God then we have a mission. Or if we do not have a mission we should be reporting to our commander and asking for one.

You are 100% correct in that a ministry is something that a missionary would do. A ministry is simply the organization that a missionary creates to perform his mission. For example, a primary calling for me is a husband and father and and the organization this creates (a family) is my ministry.

I actually have a mission statement (which doubles as a sort of family constitution) hanging on my wall at home. We do not always follow it 100%, but there should be no confusion about what we as a family are doing and why we are doing it. And it gives us a yard stick to measure other things by (should we do X? I dunno, does it fit in with our family mission?).

As far as calling goes, I do not hear Jesus directly (unlike VP Pence apparently?), but I listen for the Holy Spirit. I think it is that nudging to do the right thing. When you are sitting there and something strikes you as not right, that is the Holy Spirit whispering to you. When you are hearing a scriptural interpretation that is not right, that is the Holy Spirit calling to you. Basically anything that is not right, anything that needs to be done, anything that is laid on your heart to do for Christ's sake, that could be your calling.

When I was in the Navy, I did not just have one mission. I was called in a thousand different directions, from standing bridge watches, to leading maintenance teams, to working on personal qualifications, etc. Likewise, in Christ, we can easily have more than one mission, or more than one calling. Not all callings or mssions are equal. Some might be low priority or short in duration, and another might be an all consuming life long quest. Your orders from on high are different than mine.

I hope that helps.

Family Mission Statements.....

Now that's a great one. I'm going to have to work on that here at home. I love it!

Also goes great with family budgeting. Do we spend on that? Does it fit our mission?

See, you are on a roll!

Yes and no. Like yes, I agree with what you said. But I was looking at it another way, in that it's not really a black or white thing. There are degrees of "fit", and how far you're willing to go to make things work. The extreme cases are easy; it's the borderline cases that require discernment and a tolerance for risk.

Ohhh. I get it. I have tolerances for risk. Sort of. Not a lot, but some. Thank you for clarifying.

'Splain, Lucy!

Cny punctuated his response to me with a song by lee ann womack. This has never happened to me before. I'm using my context cues about him and deducing he meant this in a friendly way.

Ask that person "what do you mean by that?" and see what you get.... ;)

VERY WELL ANDREW. I think you've said to me that God told you to marry a woman that you've ended up with. What did you mean by that?:D

Ohhh. I get it. I have tolerances for risk. Sort of. Not a lot, but some. Thank you for clarifying.
One of the many problems I have with legalism is that it encourages right/wrong, yes/no, will work/won't work kind of thinking (not saying you're a legalist, just walk with me for a minute...). Then if you're "wrong" in your assessment that something was "right", it's big train wreck involving much shame and misery (or pride and blame-shifting).

I prefer to think in terms of "how hard am I going to have to work to make this happen?". That way, if I over- or under-estimate, I can adapt on the fly and fit my efforts to the task without getting sidetracked by shame or pride.

Cny punctuated his response to me with a song by lee ann womack. This has never happened to me before. I'm using my context cues about him and deducing he meant this in a friendly way.
:D Chris is a friendly guy.... :cool:

VERY WELL ANDREW. I think you've said to me that God told you to marry a woman that you've ended up with. What did you mean by that?:D
Touché! Dude, I didn't mean me!... :p

For me the signature move that says "that was God" was when information is revealed or presented that we could not have come up with ourselves, whether that is specific revelation to one person of knowledge that no one had, or a series of coincidences and corroborations that eliminates the possibility that any one of us is making stuff up. (Think Paul in 1 Cor 14: "let two or three prophets speak and the others judge". Aw, heck. Just think 1 Cor 14 generally....)

The process mostly involves being intentional about hearing from God with faith that He will speak. Study of the OT prophets and the way prophesy is discussed in the NT (along with some gospel teaching about the sheep hearing the voice of the Shepherd) convinced me that God is still speaking today; the question is: Who's listening? So we started making time in the context of worship and prayer to just be quiet and wait on the Lord. And then stuff started happening....

It's pretty cool what can happen when we're willing to just 'report for duty' without our own agenda. (The metaphor of a woman yielding her body to conceive and give birth to new life works, too.) We spend so much time trying to impress God with our services and our bible studies....

[Commercial here for Experiencing God: Knowing and Doing the Will of God. PM me for details.]

PS....

I was struck by a thought as I was posting the above. Not once in the process of prophetic intercessory worship have I been tasked with bible study. I have been tasked with missions that drove me to deep bible study to figure out how I was going to do something, or why God did something a certain way, but bible study was never the what. I'm just noticing that for the first time. Hmmm....

Back