• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

What Is A 'Biblical' Family?

Doc

Real Person
. . . This may seem like an silly question, but I would like to get some feedback:

What is a 'Biblical' family?

*Is a couple a 'family'?
*Can a family be a 'family' with or without children?
*How is the 'Biblical' family different than the world's definition of family?

Blessings,

Yup. A couple is a family. With or without kids.

Kids come and, 20 years later more or less, kids go. Before, during, and after, the couple is a family.

However, it may just be more complicated than this. Are my 2 brothers (siblings) still my family although they're living elsewhere with their own families started? I'm the oldest. Am I therefore the patriarch and priest for the three of us, since our dad is dead? When he died, he left the birthright to my middle brother -- long story. Does that make him the patriarch andn priest?

What about my exwife, who took my kids. were they a family while all living together without me? Is she a family now that they've grown and gone?

Doc, thou hast opened Pandora's box and found it to contain a can of worms!

I think a biblical family (and I suppose you could argue then the only true kind of family) comes about when a man and a woman set out to mirror the model God set forth for us with Christ and the church. I do feel, but its not a sword I'm willing to fall on, that there is a level higher than that after children that I guess we could call Patriarchy, where the man is called to mirror the character of God. Although I don't think it nescessarily would need biological children. Just random thoughts, they don't mean much without scripture to back them up.

No offense taken, but I do maintain that a family has to be established by a man taking a woman. Obviously things can happen that can affect the make up of the family however.

I think that when defining a "biblical family", we should start at the beginning (surprise, surprise!) and see where that leads. God created man, and said that he should not be alone. God created his help meet, and told them to be fruitful and multiply.

I agree that children add an extra dynamic that helps better understand God's purposes for families. I believe that plural marriage does the same. There are many aspects to headship, covering, submission, trust, etc. that aren't fully understood until brought to the forefront through plural marriage.

Conversely, we can see through biblical examples and anecdotal evidence that God does not always choose to bless every family with children or with multiple wives, so we cannot assume that these are not "real" families, or that they are somehow inferior. God's plan for each family is ultimately the same... to honor Him by giving themselves to His purposes.

Katie

So then, if we start at the beginning, we are all the products (or by products) of the original union, which in the grand scheme of things makes us all part of the big "biblical family"

SweetLissa

It occurs to me that this in fact may be a vital question. The world, through pop culture and entertainment, is always trying to redefine family as the people who love and support you. Basically the friends who nod and smile no matter what you do. It seems to me though that if the world is looking to define family than it is pretty important and we'd better have a counter definition and be able to back it up.

the word "family" is about relationship(s) between people

"biblical" would refer to the choices made by the individuals as they live their lives

so, a biblical family is one in which the members are living life according to the pattern laid out in the bible. ouch, that's what we aspire to be when we grow up. :oops:

for the name of this board it is a good choice because it shows a desire to let the bible (rather than traditions) define the potential relationships in the family

*Is a couple a 'family'thout children?
*How is the 'Biblical' family different than the world's definition of family?
sure a couple is a family
a gay couple is a family, just not a biblical one. nor are they "one flesh" in my understanding

cec,
the part about leaving father and mother and becoming "one" spells it out for me. you are to be patriarch of your clan and they of theirs. wave nicely when you see them (using ALL of your fingers ;) )

Back