• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

What is the best way to research Strong's Exhaustive Concord

Revgill87123

Male
I just recieved my Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible KJV Study. It is a wealth of knoweledge to say the least! I am just wandering what is the best way to study it and the best way to retain that knoweledge?

Re: What is the best way to research Strong's Exhaustive Con

I know it is easy to get taken aback! I have seen so many people on here quote from it I figured why not ask here!
DiscussingTheTopic said:
That is a very good question. :D

Simple answer is, "Very Carefully".
Keep in mind that Strong's is a dictionary. It usually shows several variants for each Hebrew or Greek word. The variants are usually used in different texts throughout the Bible. The particular variant used is determined by context and grammatical rules common to the specific language. Greek and Hebrew words have tenses that are not shown in Strong's, these always have a definite impact on understanding what God is saying.

I recommend using Strong's and similar helps cautiously and sparingly. It is too easy to become "penny wise and pound foolish" by the application of a wee bit of knowledge that doesn't give the whole picture. The "Concordance" portion of Strong's work is a valuable tool in locating English words in the Bible, but the dictonary portion should only be expected to give us the most rudimentary understanding of root words, not their proper application.

I am a simple sort of guy. I have never studied, much less learned Biblical languages, I have enough trouble with English. I do admire people that are gifted in languages. I leave Hebrew and Greek to them. My most valuable tool in understanding the Bible is a good dictionary of the English language. My greatest resource in Bible study is time spent with the Author of the Book. Jesus said that the Holy Spirit would teach us, His Word. That has been most rewarding for over 40 years.

A more laborius task and extremely rewarding one, is to read and learn the Bible itself, lovingly comparing scripture to scripture. This is what Paul was talking to Timothy about when he said "rightly dividing the word of truth." Our spiritual forefathers committed themselves to studying the Bible this way and became the giants of God's book in a dark world. Using easy reference books may give us quick answers, but frankly, most often not, the right answers. Unless one is willing to invest the time and effort in studying the original languages of the Bible, it is best to use Strong's and similar refernce books sparingly. Dependence upon the Holy Spirit and knowing English is the best effort spent as we bury ourselves in The Book of God.

Final thought: STRONG'S IS NOT INSPIRED!!!

Well said, John. :)

Back