• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

General What manner of Men…..

The Revolting Man

Staff member
Real Person
Male
What manner of men are able to take on multiple wives?

This post has been percolating around in my head for months now and I keep wanting to sit down and flesh it out into a full essay but clearly that isn’t going to happen so here is the truncated version.

I have been around this movement for roughly 15 years, most of those through BibFam. That’s nowhere near as long as some but it’s been long enough to notice to observe some traits that seem common to all of the men that I’ve known to “succeed” at polygyny.

We can express it one of several ways but the easiest is to say that they are entrepreneurial. I know that seems like an inadequate description but think of what that entails; these of men who have a vision, and pursue that vision (they’re active) boldly. They are innovating and building and establishing legacy in the world around them, outside of their marriage(s).

I also don’t necessarily mean that they’re wealthy, although most of them seem to have an above average income and an ability to accumulate and deploy resources. I’ve known a few successful, poor polygynists but not many.

The best example of this I know of would be @MeganC ‘s extraordinary husband Steve, I never had the privilege of meeting him though so I’m going to focus on men I do I know to make the case.

First up is @nathan , he has a history of actively chasing bold visions. I won’t belabor them all but we’re all a part of this organization that he built from the ground up to meet a need he saw that there was no obvious way to fulfill. It was a bold vision and he actively pursued.

@andrew is an even better example, those of you who are newer to the organization and haven’t been to a retreat don’t know his story as well but the man’s life has been nothing but actively pursuing one bold vision after another. It seems like the instant a vision is no longer bold that he actively looks for another one to pursue. I have heard him relate anecdote after anecdote that were nothing but the relentless pursuit of a bold vision. Again, I won’t give details in a public forum but he has built a number of extraordinary institutions outside of the extraordinary family he has built. And yes some of those are traditionally entrepreneurial and some are not.

@PeteR probably needs the least amount of introduction at this point but his active pursuit of bold visions long pre-dates his involvement in polygyny. He was a part of establishing a Torah keeping denomination and his various book projects (all finished and published, not just envisioned) are all excellent examples of the active pursuit of a bold vision.

There are many more examples I could name; @ABlessedMan , @Joleneakamama ‘s husband, @steve and many others.

All of these men showed entrepreneurial vigor and a habit of actively pursuing bold visions. And women flocked to them! The women weren’t swayed by having any old “covering” they could get. They weren’t swayed by a little bit of economic security (although no doubt that helps).

They were swayed by a man who built things that they wanted to be a part of. They were swayed by the adventure. They caught the vision and wanted to be a part of that.

I’m probably shouldn’t be pontificating about a woman’s motivations. I’m probably the last man to have an insight into that, but my observations of many years now has shown me that good looking, intelligent men who are kind with a good sense of humor, good with children and pets and like traveling friends and long walks on the beach; do not get multiple wives.

Men of action with bold visions get the girl. The princess wants to be rescued, not so she can go back to the castle and have tea with her ladies, she wants to be rescued so she can break free and help build a kingdom.

Although the last thing bold men of action worry about is what those around him want. He thinks about what is good and right.

Last edited:
I’m probably shouldn’t be pontificating about a woman’s motivations. I’m probably the last man to have an insight into that, but my observations of many years now has shown me that good looking, intelligent men who are kind with a good sense of humor, good with children and pets and like traveling friends and long walks on the beach; do not get multiple wives.
This sounds like you copied it off of a dating site profile....and that end made me laugh out loud!

I will now ponder on WHY they don't while out running errands with my daughter in law.

Last edited:
I think the best thing that makes a man a good polyganist is how righteous he is. If he is righteous he will have a greater capacity to love and understand more of what is fair and wise in dealing with his wives.

I don't personally know any of the men you speak of but it sounds like their wives genuinely love them.

I think the best thing that makes a man a good polyganist is how righteous he is. If he is righteous he will have a greater capacity to love and understand more of what is fair and wise in dealing with his wives.

I don't personally know any of the men you speak of but it sounds like their wives genuinely love them.
Righteousness certainly counts a lot toward polygyny working well.. but how would you explain secular men with large solid poly families?

Righteousness certainly counts a lot toward polygyny working well.. but how would you explain secular men with large solid poly families?
Sure it can work well without God because polygany is just as normal as a monogamous marriage. It can even go over better than some marriages where people are religious. But as a general rule aren't even monogamous marriages better when two people are seeking to know God and come unto him together?
Personally I think a non-religious marriage can work better than a religious one if the man is striving to be fair, stand up for morality and against perversion, and tries to love his wives with all possible genuine care.
In my mind a man who does that is more righteous than the smooth faced hypocrite who may appear to obey all the commandments of God. So I guess I sometimes apply the term righteous to things other than just people who go to church every week, read their scriptures daily, and in some cases follow the feasts. In this case it's a genuine goodness that I believe God would bless and help try to lead them right because of it.

I would say righteousness is one of several key traits any good husband will have or at least be developing, from the outside looking in I’m not sure that it’s what distinguishes the successful polygynists I’ve known from just regular old good husbands.

I would say righteousness is one of several key traits any good husband will have or at least be developing, from the outside looking in I’m not sure that it’s what distinguishes the successful polygynists I’ve known from just regular old good husbands.
That's fair, but wouldn't a man who could make a good husband also make a good polyganist? I know there are some more things to think about like how to interact with each wife and balance relationships more, but I would think that the men who make the best husbands would also be good polyganists.

That's fair, but wouldn't a man who could make a good husband also make a good polyganist? I know there are some more things to think about like how to interact with each wife and balance relationships more, but I would think that the men who make the best husbands would also be good polyganists.
It’s a valid point and I’m going to use a sports metaphor to counter it, I apologize.

There are levels in sports; high school, college, pro etc. A very good high school player may not thrive at the college level and still not have to feel bad about his high school career.

Some very good monogamous husbands, maybe even a majority, simply aren’t suited to be polygynists. They’re still excellent husbands a fathers.

I’m probably playing word games a little bit here but I think the distinction is worth making.

I think some men are truly great husbands.....but they wouldn't be good candidates for polygyny because they don't want more. They don't want more responsibility, more children, more demands on their time or paycheck.

I long thought my husband could handle another...but not for the reasons that might first come to.mind. It was his sense of fairness, and the way he never tired of my company and visiting. Some men need to escape the wife at times, not this man.

Last edited:
All of these men showed entrepreneurial vigor....
Good observation—I've had this conversation with several men. Nobody in this lifestyle that I know well grew up in a poly or poly-friendly community or expected when we were teenagers to be polygynous someday; we all came into this from the outside, steeped in the Western tradition of monogamy, and typically already married to one wife who expected to stay the one wife. It is very much the spiritual equivalent of figuring out how to transition out of your corporate day job into starting up your own company as an underdog in the face of heavy competition.

Good observation—I've had this conversation with several men. Nobody in this lifestyle that I know well grew up in a poly or poly-friendly community or expected when we were teenagers to be polygynous someday; we all came into this from the outside, steeped in the Western tradition of monogamy, and typically already married to one wife who expected to stay the one wife. It is very much the spiritual equivalent of figuring out how to transition out of your corporate day job into starting up your own company as an underdog in the face of heavy competition.
You’re probably the one who gave me the idea to begin with.

I also don’t necessarily mean that they’re wealthy, although most of them seem to have an above average income and an ability to accumulate and deploy resources. I’ve known a few successful, poor polygynists but not many.

Just my experience but when a family no longer has the burden of debt then it is tons easier to consider their options.

When Christie joined Steve & Shari she paid off the family debts. At the time the church was more present in people's lives and being debt free was one of those things they insisted on if a couple took on a plural.

Going debt free seemed to be when the family went from doing well to being prosperous. I've seen the same thing with non-poly families too.

There was a time when I worked at a couple resorts making bread and pastries and I realized that as the bread and pastry chef I was actually keeping more of my money every month than the executives and owners were! It's surreal to think of someone who makes $350,000 a year but after all is said and done they're living on just $2000 to maybe $3000 a month. But they had a fancy house, a fancy truck, and fancy bills.

A family I know very closely had their father/husband go to prison and they lost everything because they didn't own anything. Things went to pieces really fast.

I grew up with that kind of life too. My folks had everything when we were in LA. And then it all disappeared because it was all an illusion of prosperity instead of actual prosperity.

Zec is also right that working at a job isn't going to get you to your goals. It's the contractors, plumbers, and other entrepreneurs who build successful businesses and the smart ones do so without getting themselves enslaved to the banks.

Just my experience but when a family no longer has the burden of debt then it is tons easier to consider their options.

When Christie joined Steve & Shari she paid off the family debts. At the time the church was more present in people's lives and being debt free was one of those things they insisted on if a couple took on a plural.

Going debt free seemed to be when the family went from doing well to being prosperous. I've seen the same thing with non-poly families too.

There was a time when I worked at a couple resorts making bread and pastries and I realized that as the bread and pastry chef I was actually keeping more of my money every month than the executives and owners were! It's surreal to think of someone who makes $350,000 a year but after all is said and done they're living on just $2000 to maybe $3000 a month. But they had a fancy house, a fancy truck, and fancy bills.

A family I know very closely had their father/husband go to prison and they lost everything because they didn't own anything. Things went to pieces really fast.

I grew up with that kind of life too. My folks had everything when we were in LA. And then it all disappeared because it was all an illusion of prosperity instead of actual prosperity.

Zec is also right that working at a job isn't going to get you to your goals. It's the contractors, plumbers, and other entrepreneurs who build successful businesses and the smart ones do so without getting themselves enslaved to the banks.
Living frugally really is the foundation to wealth too. We bought a $30,000 double wide trailer on two acres. It has never been “big enough” or even had “air conditioning” but it’s paid off! It has been a huge blessing and source of confidence for me that if, God forbid, I got injured and couldn’t work that my family wouldn’t be out in the street at the end of the month.

Back