• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

What Remains

Ginny

Real Person
Female
Hello All,

I took a walk in our front yard this morning and wrote the poem at the end of this post. My heart has been heavily burdened with all the loss I've seen on the news lately about the hurricane/flood damage in Houston. I grew up there. I spent all my school years there and, from what I have seen, it will never be the same again.

It reminded me of the time my mom's storage facility - which happened to be my grandmother's store - burned down. A couple of kids decided it would be fun to set it on fire and 24 hours later, many generations of memories were up in smoke. Literally.

I prayed. I prayed for clarity on all the pain that the storm stirred up. I prayed for peace for those who have lost so much. I prayed for healing in my own heart as I still feel the sting of the losses I've experienced.

Right there, in the middle of my prayer, while standing in front of a rosebush, admiring a hummingbird, God spoke to my heart about plural marriage.

Really.

When we first learned about plural marriage and began to actually live that truth, it was very much like a storm. Let's just go ahead and say it's more like a hurricane. Or a fire. You choose your disaster. I don't mind calling it that. It FEELS like a disaster to the mind.

It comes in, makes drastic changes, and then you are left with ashes or rubble. This has been my personal experience and I've heard it from countless others.

We do not choose the hurricane. We do not choose the fire. It comes. It's out of our control. Life-changing truth is like that. The art of living AFTER the storm or the fire is not to focus on what we lost. It's to focus on what remains and what we can build.

The truth about plural marriage is that everyone is affected by it. No one - not the husband, not the first wife, not the second wife (or the third or fourth) - gets to go back to "life as it used to be." It's an all or nothing choice we make. We submit ourselves to the storm or the fire because we trust the God who brought us there.

Sometimes, the losses - both real and imagined - are devastating.

We can choose to spend all our time mourning the loss of our great-grandfather's rocking chair (an item I actually lost in the fire), or we can be so sad that we won't ever be "alone" with our husband again (or ever in the case of non-first wives) OR we can be grateful that we are alive and we are together. We can choose to figure out who we are going to be NOW with the tools and resources we have at the moment, not the tools we had in the past.

The loss is so real. For most, it really does feel like a hurricane or a fire. We die to the life we had to explore and build a new one. It's the only way.

As always, it's a matter of choice and perspective.

The storm comes. The fire comes. It takes what it wants and after you sift from the debris, you move on. You build and grow and make a new life. Together.

Thank you for your time in reading this.

Regards,
Ginny

WHAT REMAINS

The fire burned.

The building,
a legacy in a small town.
Post office.
General store.
All in one.
I ran barefoot
on the dirty wooden planks
we called a floor.
I spent hours
with my grandmother
as she sorted mail
and rang up customers.
After she passed,
it became storage.
Boxes full of precious
childhood memories.
And one day,
someone started a fire.
And in a matter of hours,
It was all gone.

Ashes.

The flood came.
Brought on by a hurricane
and days and days
of unprecedented rain.
It washed away entire towns
and devastated
the fourth largest city
in the US.
Washed away.

Forever.

A part of me wants to focus
on what we lost.
In the fire.
In the flood.
Things that mattered.
Generations of memories
and heirlooms
simply gone.
Never ever to return.
The best part of me
(that tiny scrap
I keep hidden from the world)
Knows that the thing to do
- the thing we must do -
is focus not
on what we lost
but what we will do
with what remains....

Seriously, @Ginny you are amazing. I'm convinced God speaks to you in specific areas to help me just when I need it. Your posts are always what I need to hear from someone that has walked the path before me. The last several days have been a hurricane in my heart. I have wept and mourned the losses. Poly comes in waves, like a new hurricane, as each new process begins (from the idea, to the search, to communication, to separate relationships and so on). I know I grow stronger after each step, but in the midst I feel like I am drowning. Today, I feel like my feet can touch and the sun is peaking out.
Thank you for this.

G, you bless my soul beyond words. I love the way God talks to you and how He uses you in all our lives, whether we have been at it for awhile, or are just "havin' a Harvey." You are loved and honored, dear one.

When we first learned about plural marriage and began to actually live that truth, it was very much like a storm. Let's just go ahead and say it's more like a hurricane. Or a fire. You choose your disaster. I don't mind calling it that. It FEELS like a disaster to the mind.

You have no idea how your words resonated with me just now. I am struggling to hold back tears for all the feelings that just welled up and memories that surfaced as if they'd just happened.

Right up until my wedding night I was either living in a fantasy land or I was in denial about how things were about to change.

Then I'm in bed with my husband realizing that this wasn't just something to do but that we were trying for a baby right at the start. All of the sudden everything became so serious to me and I had serious second thoughts.

The next morning I woke up to my new husband making love to me and your words...feeling like a disaster...perfectly describes how I felt when I should have been so happy.

In the end I lost all of my old friends and now my mom is gone so my ties to my old life all ended in the 24 hours of my wedding and the day to follow.

It was a disaster and like the hurricane in Texas it wiped out all the old things.

But then you look back across the years and see that something new, something strong, and something beautiful took the place of what only a disaster could tear down.

Sometimes God brings us a disaster because it's either what we need to get rid of the old or it's what we need to bring us to our knees and seek Him.

We can only be grateful that we've been blessed to have lived through the hurricane to see the sunshine and blue sky on the other side.

All of this is so needed. To know I'm not alone in how my gut reacts to where life is taking us (at times). I pray to be and do all that God wants for me, for my husband, for my family, for those around me.

I like how @MeganC said "something beautiful took the place of what only a disaster could tear down." Marriage, for me prior to my current husband, has been a disaster (and he would say the same thing about his prior marriages). When we both chose to lay down our preconceived ideas about what makes a marriage and be open to all God has for a godly, biblical marriage, he led us to each other and then he has led us to more.

This journey has definitely beeen a series of ups and downs. I find myself needing to acknowledge how I feel at times. But I also know I can not live by my feelings. I can't focus so much on the storms in life, but on the one who can calm the storm. My mind is a battlefield. I can't do much about the events and circumstances around me, but I can choose how to react.

I want to react in healthy, positive, life choosing ways to all God has for us.

When and how do I get to the acceptance phase of the grief cycle? Grieving the perceived loss of what I thought I knew about committed, monogamous marriage to accepting and thriving in a new reality.

When and how do I get to the acceptance phase of the grief cycle? Grieving the perceived loss of what I thought I knew about committed, monogamous marriage to accepting and thriving in a new reality.

Oh @mommyof4ms I cannot tell you how many times I wish I had a bucket full of ready-made answers for questions like this (well...for me it would be more like a color-coded file folder.) This is SUCH a good question. It reveals so much about where you heart is (and I think it's in a good place!).

As much as I would like life's big questions and answers to fit into a color-coded file folder, it's much too organic for that. (Thank God, right?). Each person handles grief/big transition differently. For some, it takes very little time to move through the stages and get on with living. For some, it takes longer. We grow differently at different rates. It is what it is.

I have experienced big deaths in my life. My Dad. Loved ones. Friends. And of course, the "loss" of my old life to become part of Andrew's family. Even since then, I've gone through some big transitions that called for a letting go of my old way of thinking. For me, I find that what I do "in the meantime" matters more then how fast I get to where I think I need to be. I want to say "It's all about the journey not the destination" but that feels canned and I'm not sure I agree with that sentiment with my whole heart.

I think it's both.

I think where we are going is just as important as how we get there. And I think cutting ourselves some slack for the pace we take to get there is a big part of that. The main thing is to avoid getting stagnant in your grief by just waiting for it to pass.

A big part of moving on is MOVING on. Be proactive in positive growth in your life. When my dad died at the tender age of 15, I didn't want to face my life. I slept a lot and stayed in my room. I didn't want words of comfort or hugs. But eventually, I had to face the world again. I had to honor him by living my life. I had to honor my future by not dwelling on the past.

Plural marriage isn't much different.

Do more things to fill up your heart with "good vibes". Prayer. Meditation. Exercise. Healthy lifestyle changes. Go check the self-help section at the library. (I like to watch TED Talks about brain science to help motivate me through a rough spot). The main thing here is to get out of the old head space by doing something that contributes to the life you desire.

Teach your heart and your mind to enjoy the process of building something new rather than dwelling on what is no longer there.

BOTTOM LINE:

I can't give you a timeline (because dang it, I don't have that color-coded file drawer...) but I can tell you this: it won't happen overnight. In the meantime, give yourself some grace as you process, fill your life with things that are good and pure, and don't give up. That's as concise as I can get for now.

Hang in there knowing you are drenched in prayer as you process and grow. (I need a heart emoji...)

Back