• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

What would you like to see?

Hi folks!
I know that eventually the forum here will need to undergo some changes as Biblical Families grows at such a rapid pace. I was thinking that we, the BF community might be able to help suggest some changes that we would most like to see. Mine are mostly focused on how things are categorized in the forums.

A few new categories might include;
1. Humor :lol:
2. Homeschooling :geek:
3. Home economy (You amazing coupon ninjas know who you are!) :p
4. History :eek:
5. Science and the Word :ugeek:
6. A "Like" and "Dislike" system to mark posts and topics (Could cost too much to upgrade)
7. A "Best Of BF" section based of votes of the community

Obviously, the cost involved with getting software that could run, say, fully animiated avatars and things of that nature would be impractical, but maybe you have an idea that would be easy to implement that also fills a genuine need. What do you have rattling around in your head that might enhance our online community?

#1, #2, #3 and #5 would be on my list. I'm an admin on a firearms forum so I realize the time involved in setting these things up. Once you've got it up and going the maintainence is the only issue. The "like" and "dislike" option are getting to be a pretty standard option with the new php themes available so that should be pretty easy to set up. I think the standard avatars are good enough for our needs. I also think we need the ladies and gentlemen only forums to be visible to those groups only. I'm sure it would make everyone a breath a little easier if they know that only the ladies or only the men are in those sections. It would be a matter of having to notify an admin or moderator for admittance. That would help the site retain it's integrity. This same logic would for for the singles vs. married forums.

Just my .02 :D

I always thought that was a little wierd too. The problem would be in verifying that a person is single/married and male/female, rather than some internet troll's sockpuppet.

Perhaps a better solution would be to make those discussions completely private except for those whom the participants have tagged. There could be a tag for a regularly authorized "Verified Group", and then also have the option of addings others to the conversation as needed.

It's not as transparent as some would like for the purpose of ministry, but there definitely is a need for folks to have a "safe haven" for more sensitive topics.

8. A section dedicated to finding resources concerning marriage and the law, advocacy groups and past decisions of various courts and municipalities...Perhaps seperated by country.

I would enjoy seeing real-life stories from successful biblical families, ie actually living the lifestyle and not just speculating.

ylop (speculator)

KevinV said:
I also think we need the ladies and gentlemen only forums to be visible to those groups only.

I believe this is already the case.
If you apply for the gentlemens forum you will see a private forum that only men see at the bottom of the forum list.
I assume it is the same for the ladies although I can't even see that forum so it is only hearsay that would make me believe so.

The ones you are probably referring too are a more public version but the ones you are talking about also exist. The public version is really more for women's men's topics where we can talk about topics as appropriate that aren't really that 'private' like the ones you have to request invitation to.

Hopefully this clears it up a little.

-rubicon

Maybe a teaching series on biblical marriage and family thru utube. I also like the idea of the topic concerning the laws of various places relating to marriage and homeschooling. Maybe there are better places to live and work as a christian family living in plural marriage.

I agree Jim. YouTube is a very effective form of media in today's age. The few things currently on there that teach about Biblical Marriage are a little sloppy in their presentation. While the teaching may be sound, the minor technical annoyances and/or poor production quality can lose the viewer very quickly. Both Homeschooling AND Biblical Marriage would benefit from a well planned, professionally focused video series.

I like 3 Home economy and sewing and cooking and cleaning and coupons and business and farming and other matter that may pertain with the economic and home economic portion of caring for a family. I think one of the marriage concerns for plural marriage for me is how to afford it, how to feed and house everyone well. I am not saying that other things are not important but for me that is the weakest area and I am stronger in other areas.

I think science and scripture generally do not go together, in my opinion scripture has much more history than science (although there is an area of overlap between history and science.) The problem is people are confused and they think scientists actually know history through science, for instance the big bang is not primarily a scientific claim but primarily a historical claim, when this is understood it is clear that the big bang theory is laughable at best. Although I have no objection to science posts, I just do not see that it usually has much to do with the word (I said usually not always.)

By the way it is perfectly clear that the reasons people oppose polygyny are not hermeneutical, but other reasons, I am wondering if there can be a topic for other reasons people oppose polygyny.

It would be nice if the word was seperated from the word in regard to polygyny and other Biblical topics. Or defending the truth about polygyny vs. other Biblical topics. Since many people do not have a pro-polygyny Church some of us want to discuss other topics than polygyny, I think maybe a polygyny debate and pro-polygyny area/polygyny apologetics/overcoming other objections (emotional, etc.) to polygyny area could be separate from a general Biblical area.

One thing that makes Biblical Families difficult is when a post starts getting many many pages it is hard to navigate through, if there was an easy way to maintain the same number of posts but make posts easier to find that would help. Like if you could easily search within other pages of a multipage posts (although maybe you can already do that and I do not know how.) Also it is hard to find old posts, sometimes I post a new subject thinking it might have already been posted, but not really knowing and that might be redundant, of there was an easier way to find if an old post on a subject already exists that might help, which also comes down to searching and organizing.

Back