• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

What's New? Baby Goats are...

What breed of goats do you have?

I'm just in the process of taking over a family sheep & beef farm, and am intending to get a few boer and/or cashmere goats to see if they fit into the system and aren't impossible to fence. Haven't bought any yet though.

We started with one LaMancha doe, and a Nubian. Our buck is a Nubian, so what we have now are (a lot...) of either Nubians, or LaMancha/Nubian mix. All are adorably sweet, VERY individual, and just wonderful to have and be around. Several have been milking since last spring now, and there are more to come...

Thanks, interesting. I'm not intending to milk goats, we've done that before and just don't like the taste, so we've set aside a couple of heifers as housecows instead. They are nice animals though. If I get goats I'll be aiming for commercial meat or fibre production, to try and turn californian thistles from a cost into profit.

I'm not intending to milk goats, we've done that before and just don't like the taste,
I milked goats for years. The taste of the milk was excellent! Then we turned those alfalfa and grain fet does out on pasture and only 4 out of 12 gave drinkable milk. The milk some of those does made was survival food ONLY! That's part of why I love my sheep. Even on nasty bitter forage, the milk is sweet. I've been selecting for animals with larger teats...breeding for that by only keeping rams from ewes easy to hand milk. So many things to love about nice, shedding, friendly, tasty SHEEP!

I milked goats for years. The taste of the milk was excellent! Then we turned those alfalfa and grain fet does out on pasture and only 4 out of 12 gave drinkable milk. The milk some of those does made was survival food ONLY! That's part of why I love my sheep. Even on nasty bitter forage, the milk is sweet. I've been selecting for animals with larger teats...breeding for that by only keeping rams from ewes easy to hand milk. So many things to love about nice, shedding, friendly, tasty SHEEP!
What breed of sheep? Dairy only, or multi-purpose?

What breed of goats do you have?

I'm just in the process of taking over a family sheep & beef farm, and am intending to get a few boer and/or cashmere goats to see if they fit into the system and aren't impossible to fence. Haven't bought any yet though.
When I lived in Texas I got into hand spinning a bit. Bought a couple of goats that were dual purpose...kinda feral but beautiful. Black in summer but in the winter they were a beautiful smokey gray when the cashmere undercoat came in. But it's a bear to try to separate the cashmere undercoat from the guard hairs..similar to Llama. The funniest thing was I left the horns grow just so I could catch them as they ran by me lol. But then of course the horns would sometimes catch in the woven wire fence. 🤣 Size and the way the horns grew remind me if the Ibex in southern Israel.

What breed of sheep? Dairy only, or multi-purpose?
Mixed breed animals. I have a lot of Katahdin in the flock, some dorper, east freisian, lacoun, St Croix. The hair sheep have mild tasting meat without the lanolin taste in the fat. They are outstanding eating making great sausage, hot dogs, roasts, or just grilled chops and ribs. The milk is so rich I get about a pound of cheese for every HALF gallon set. Sheep milk in my coffee has undone my weight loss efforts before. Lol

I wish I knew more people interested. I have lots of promising young animals and am going to downsize.

Everybody we've given milk to says they love the taste - not at all "goatey" - or what some expected. I love it too. I have come to conclude it's because all the girls know they are loved...

I think the goaty taste is nutritional, I've heard there is a nutrient supplement bolus you can use which greatly reduces it. @Mark C, I wonder if your soils have a unique nutrient profile which prevents it. Unless you're feeding a lot of grain.

Sheep milk is fantastic. If I were to milk a smaller animal, I'd milk sheep.

I've thought about that. But, no, we feed mostly grass hay (especially winter here). They get some grain (with a vitamin E supplement) every day when they go to get milked, and as an "evening treat" when I take their evening bale out. (Makes life easier. ;) )

This is a 'semi-arid' climate. During the warmer seasons, they graze, and really seem to enjoy eating both sage and pinion pine needles, of which we have a lot of both. (Native grasses, too. I'm working to get more of that coming along.)

and aren't impossible to fence.

Totally possible. Just build the fence tight enough to hold water in.

Frankly, if your cattle have good grazing genetics that hit brush and weeds, and you rotationally graze them, then goats won't add much to the mix so far as stocking capacity goes.

Back