• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

When a wife cheats

Revgill87123

Male
I am sure many here know the answer already, but I am also sure there are many that don't. So I decided to put it on here just incase if any one ever ask or is to embarresed to ask.

Two weeks ago while doing some volunteering a man came to us and wanted to talk in private. I took him to a part of the place where no one else was. He then had told me that he had been a devout Christian much of his life. As his wife. But for the last six months his wife has been having an affair (He discovered by logging on to her myspace account). When he confronted her at first she denied it, but finally told him what she had done and for how long she had been doing it. She also admits to being truley sorry. She has promised never to do it again.

Now how ever he says he is debating a divorce but a few reasons are stoping him
1 His wife would be kicked out of their church
2 He wanted to know if it is biblically justified
3 She does not want a divorce

He said now every time she tries to hug he pushes her off due to feeling sick every time he sees her. He really doesn't see him self to being attracted to her because of this.

so now for the big question What should he do? Of course from a biblical standpoint not from a personal one.

He said now every time she tries to hug he pushes her off due to feeling sick every time he sees her. He really doesn't see him self to being attracted to her because of this.

so now for the big question What should he do? Of course from a biblical standpoint not from a personal one.

What a heartbreaking situation!
God gave Moses instruction for what may be done in response to such sin, such punishment was the extreme, but it was not required. Genuine repentance is the key to genuine forgiveness.

I like to keep the comparison of Christ and His people as it relates to a husband and his wife, before my eyes. I ask, how does Jesus treat us when we screw up our relationship with Him? The answer is the same answer for a man whose wife has messed up and repents.

Agreed. The man MAY divorce her. But, as a Christian, he is CALLED to a higher standard -- to fully forgive, and to pray healing for her and for himself, if/as he himself wants forgiveness from the Father.

As to the attraction ... I suggest compassionate hugs as a starting place, if passionate ones are not currently available.

i agree with john and cecil and would add that love is a choice, not a feeling.
if he chooses to forgive her then he is required to love her, we have not truly forgiven someone until we can accept them although the heart has been hurt.
trust has to be earned, but love is a gift (yea, men, a required gift :D )
Eph 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
Eph 5:28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.
Col 3:19 Husbands, love [your] wives, and be not bitter against them.
for some reason (could it be because our Creator knows how we are?) there is not the same focus on wives loving their husbands, but to respect them.
Eph 5:33 Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife [see] that she reverence [her] husband.
ok, women are sometimes hard to love and we men are sometimes hard to respect ;)
get 'er done, men

Back