• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

When are these quotes from?

Tlaloc

Anyone care to guess?

1:
What shall I say to him who seeks a wife
of ancient manners, uncorrupted life?
surely he's mad-come, Doctor, breathe a vein
and try to bring him to himself again
But if, by chance, a woman could be found
Modest and chase, though all the empire round,
thrice happy mortal! to thy destined bed
let her, with thanks to god, be led.

2:
"Their grand argument with all disputes with their husband are:
so will I have it - So command I still,
and yield to no reason but my sovereign will."

3:
Then the imperious wanton leaves her spouse,
From man to man she flies, from house to house,
forgetful of her brides attire and her, and bridal vows.
again she seeks her first deserted man,
and in five years, eight husbands crown her plan.
pity but such achievements should be known,
engraved on brass or monuments of stone.

It almost sounds like today, but is worse,
anyone care to guess from when came these verses?

1st century Rome.

Quid quod & antiquis uxor de moribus Illi
Quaeritur? O medici! mediam pertundite venam!
Delicias hominis! Tarpeium limen adora
Pronus, & auratam Junoni caede Juvencam
Si tibi contigerit capitis mattona pudici.
-Juvenal

Yep

My favorite line is "of ancient manners," Its one of the many things that makes me think our new social progress is often just more old sin that was judged so long ago many people forgot about it.

Forget looking for an old fashioned girl, look for a girl of the future, and far enough in the future that she's smart enough to understand sin always brings judgment or at least understand how foolish that kind of behavior is.

That is of course assuming there is a future on this earth :)

Tlaloc said:
That is of course assuming there is a future on this earth :)

How very true....Whatever future is left, it sure won't compare with what lies at future's end.

Just to clarify.... I am very limited in Latin but fluent in Google. :lol:

Same, I am quite limited at Latin but have good old books to translate for me. I've never used goggles translations before though, where you familiar with it before or did some site have it?

Anyway, yeah, the final end is going to be better than even the best future we can hope for :)

I had heard that passage while researching something about historical satire, I think. It was a long time ago, but when you posted the quote, it tickled my memory. I understand a little latin, mostly from hymns that I sang in high school and college choir. Also, I have a fascination with the etemology of modern words which, of course, leads me back to the Latin roots in many cases.

Cool, I'm similar to that too, though my bits of Latin come from college logic and speech training rather than choir.

Back