• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

When discussing polygyny

Jeff Hall

Hey all.. newbie here. I'm a good friend of Dwight's. We both live in Tenn and he is the one that introduced me to the biblical truth of Polygyny.

I am now marrying my 2nd wife this weekend.

I don't have a whole lot of time to tell you about myself. I will post more after the honeymoon.
We're leaving out on Sunday after the ceremony to head to Branson for at least a week.

But I wanted to ask a question regarding yall's experience when discussing this with others. Here goes: Have you ever noticed that when the topic comes up, that right at the outset there is a quick change of method by the party opposing polygyny.

First it starts off with the usual assertion polygamy is a sin.
And then I start to list off all of the things in the bible that most of the dumbed down don't seem to know about. The figurative depiction God gives of Himself being married to two women in some places in the bible, the Levirite Marriage, the laws concerning polygyny, etc.

What happens next is so predictable. The opponent then switches to a different tactic. He will say, if polygamy is not wrong then where does it say that it is approved?

The person goes from a stance of stating that the bible condemns polygyny to a stance of saying that there is no approval for it.

Anyone else notice this subtle change?

Not always subtle, Jeff, and that's usually only the beginning.

The next step is the "well, OK, but it's NOT GOD's PREFERRED PLAN*." (Variants include that ole standby - "but, EVERY marriage in the Bible that's polygynous had problems!")

The real issue, I contend, is this:

Marriage is FUNDAMENTAL to God's relationship to His people, to those who hope to become his brides.

If they got something so fundamental, and ultimately SO obvious, so completely WRONG - then what ELSE are they missing?! Most people simply aren't willing to face that issue.

Blessings,

Mark

--------------------------
* All of these are addressed elsewhere, in BF and other fora, at some length.

My one-line favorite responses to the second is to ask "can you name a presumed 'monogamous' marriage in the Bible WITHOUT challenges? (There are some of each, but very few of either - and certainly no "lesson" there.)

Oh - and if you are fortuitous to get the softball pitch about "first-use" in the Bible, where Lamech, because he's a murderer, and has two wives - MUST mean polygyny is bad, ask the question: "Was Adam a monogamist?" (The answer is usually speculation.) If so, then isn't MONOGAMY the form of failed form of marriage "by which sin entered the world"? :D

Jeff,

One strategy I have been using lately when they start that process you outlined is ask them, "Name all the marriages in the Bible that were monogamous."

It always gets them spinning, and it is fun to watch.

Blessings,

Doc

Good to see ya here, Jeff!

Doc, that is such a brilliant yet simple way to get their attention. Can't believe I didn't think of that myself.

Jeff welcome and blessings on your new marriage.

We have a unique situation here now that our new President of South Africa has 4 wives that we know of. It has opened the door for me to openly discuss polygyny, even if people think I am only joking. I can now legitimately say that I am behind 4 to 1 and I need to get caught up!

Be blessed,

Dr. Ray

Dr Ray,

You are so right! I read that the other day about his situation....what an opportunity for open doors in South Africa!

Blessings,

Back