• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Where to start? Need advice

I have been talking to a brother about polygyny and he wants me to start him off with some
remedial beginners information. He really needs short and simple or easy-to-understand stuff.

Any advice on what website to go with?

I would not send him to a website. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, and I think it is better to not let him surf on his own. If he ever does ask anyone else for their input, that other person will find the most contoversial statement and discredit the whole pro-polygyny position based on one line or statement. This happened to us with the Righteous Warriors site. Great site, but if the newbie or the newbie's mom or sister get a hold on the intimacy section, he will be drawn and quartered.

It is hard for me to think of anything better than the paper written by QMC05 on the links page, the objections page on this site, and then Tom Shipley's book, in that order. The first paper gives an historical and world view of polygamy and where it is used, and gives a new student the abiblity to see that it has been in place, is used today, and is not so abnormal as we think, and it is superbly written in a clear and non-cumbersome way. It is also not long winded. Once he has the open mind that is needed to study without prejudice, he will probably (hopefully) go to the Word and study for himself and maybe even ask advice from someone he respects. At this point, the biblical objections answered on the resources page would be a good study tool for him. Once he realizes that most pastors and mentors cannot refute the Word when it comes to this issue, he will need Tom's book to counter the much too common "last ditch efforts" of this biblical topic, which are the "not God's best, He just tolerated it, He just winked at it, we are free from the Law, that was Moses, God did not approve of that, those guys were just primal, we are much more smart and Holy" statements.

I would avoid James Stivers' book unless you take out the last part about polygamy saving the white race. It tends to offend people to the point that they discount the writing completely. All of the above can be printed to pdf and emailed, or printed hardcopy and handed over.

For what it is worth.

Paul

Sorry, Dwight. I'm working on creating just such a website at present, that will be specifically geared to introductory thinking and then drive folks deeper to forums such as this.

In the meantime, there's an old site stiol up that has some real good stuff on it. I'd definitely recommen it.
http://www.patriarchywebsite.com/

AND, I heartily second Paul's recommendations.

Good luck

Thanks. I'm looking for that one by QMC05 but can't seem to locate. Do you have a URL for it?

Paul not the apostle said:
and then Tom Shipley's book, in that order.
Could you or someone please tell me how I could get a copy of this book?

Thank You,

Michelle

Michelle,

This is THE book to have. If you go the the link at new convenant that Paul listed, you can download it for free

Blessings

Doc,

Thank you, too! Enjoy your weekend.

Michelle

I would avoid James Stivers' book unless you take out the last part about polygamy saving the white race. It tends to offend people to the point that they discount the writing completely.
Paul

Pretty sad that we have become so politically correct that that is more important than scriptural truth.

Sorry for the response to the very old comment. My main reason is to find out about James Stivers. The last email I had with him was maybe 1997? I get the impression he wanted out of the fray. Is he still around at all?

Thanks,

Tim

Back