• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

White clothes

MemeFan

Seasoned Member
Male
I'm readying articles series about clothing production in history. Author says that white clothes were luxury item because keeping them clean was pain in ass. We can safely assume this fact was know to regular people.

We could talk about theological implications of this.

Thinking how Romans would perceive scriptures in light of above:

Lord is showing off how rich He is if He can afford to cloth everybody white on His marriage supper. Lord must be way more richer that even Emperor.

Second, clothing itself would be analogy how keeping yourself sinless is bloody hard and practically impossible to do because everybody was constantly wearing other colors. Today we use lying as analogy for impossibility of being sinless, but clothing in Roman times is far more visual example. See, nobody wears white and even if somebody can wear white it will get dirty fast.

Nativity scenes are wrong. White is color of nobles, not common people.

Article here:

Last edited:
In most Nativity scenes I've ever seen Mary is portrayed in blue robes with a white head covering while Joseph is portrayed in a rough, brown colored tunic.

In most Nativity scenes I've ever seen Mary is portrayed in blue robes with a white head covering while Joseph is portrayed in a rough, brown colored tunic.
Pretty sure they didn’t have color film back in those days……..

My genes are strong ;).

I also managed to protect my children from having extra fingers and toes....
We had mild polydactyly on one of ours. Not sure who's fault it was or who should get credit for the 8 normal children. Maybe now that there will be another mom in the family.....eventually, we might compile more evidence to aid in the blame game. :cool:

Back