• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Why?! *Said with whiny voice!*

FollowingHim2

Women's Ministry
Staff member
Real Person
Female
Why must polygamy be removed from everything? Everything?!

We recently watched a movie about Esther (A Night With The King). It was a fairly good movie actually, except that they removed polygamy as much as they possibly could from it. To the point where they made up a fight between her and the king, that being the reason he hadn't called her in a month and she had to turn up uninvited. It couldn't possibly be that he was busy with his other wives/concubines now could it?

I also bought a movie for the children about the life of David. We always preview everything before letting the children watch it, thank goodness I did this time too. It was very accurate, even showing Saul killing the priests. I did wonder if it was slightly too graphic on that account, though it is animated.
It was long, very detailed, they changed only one thing....Can you guess?

POLYGAMY!!!!

Seriously, they had David with only one wife the entire time. He only had Michal. They were in love from when they were kids, all was beautiful and perfect. At the end of the movie, Saul was dead, and then David and Michal were together, standing as king and queen over Israel. WHY???

It's history! It's not like by putting it in there you are advocating it! Are we rewriting history now? Is this what's going to happen? Instead of saying it is wrong or right we'll just pretend it didn't happen?

Ok, rant over. Just getting a bit sick of it.

In my experience, children's version of Biblical stories may include violence or death but rarely includes the more unusual aspects of sex or marriage. I'm not defending it, the Bible should never be watered down, but many parents are uncomfortable explaining what concubine or eunuch means.

Understood, but you don't need to explain either of those words to tell the truth about the scripture. People had multiple wives, and every child knows what a wife is (a concubine is just a type of wife, and is mentioned less frequently anyway). Being a eunuch usually reads like a job description - the fact that castration was a prerequisite for the job is an irrelevant detail for a child.

It isn't really that people are squeamish about concubines. It's that they're squeamish about polygamy full stop.

FollowingHim said:
It isn't really that people are squeamish about concubines. It's that they're squeamish about polygamy full stop.

Yes, they removed Polygamy from Prince of Egypt too. :(

Back