• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Why?

Scarecrow said:
Jonah we all know about...

Jonah? No does not ring a bell. You sure that is in the Bible? Not the Koran or maybe book of moron or something like that? Perhaps a veda? Jonah just does not ring a bell at all. :lol: :D

Jeremiah and Hosea both say the heart is deceitful.
I am somewhat conceded that my heart may be deceitful and do not want it to be.

I do not check things with my 'heart' all the time, I want things to pass my brain check. We are NOT commanded to leave our noggin at the door. I have trusted my brain to not be deceived. I am a sometimes harsh critical thinker who does go for the extreme and nit picks a lot of things.

My heart says yes and go go go. My brain says slow down cowboy: Let's check this out and be sure all is right. So the heart stays in check. I check things of my list and add more things. I come up with more objections and 'issues' i want to be sure I enter into this so I know (or have a clue) of what I am getting into.

Well I think that the thoughts (use of the mind) and the heart (feelings and emotions) are closely related...

Gen 6:5 The LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

It is the leading of the Holy spirit that keeps us in check, and if not for the restraint put on mankind we would probably be all but extinct from destroying one another. (I don't know how many times I have been guilty of murder in my thoughts)

What we think leads to what we say, which often leads to what we do.

I think we agree and are simply coming at the topic from two different directions. To blindly follow your heart is foolish, but also it is also foolish to over-analyze things to the point that you do not act upon them missing an opportunity (lack of faith). I know a lot of people that are getting ready to get ready to get ready to get ready to act on something...they are so busy preparing that they miss out on it (a form of fear).

Don't miss out on something that has come in its time...

Ecc 3:1-13 For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven: a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted; a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; a time to seek, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; a time to tear, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; a time to love, and a time to hate; a time for war, and a time for peace. What gain has the worker from his toil? I have seen the business that God has given to the children of man to be busy with. He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also, he has put eternity into man's heart, yet so that he cannot find out what God has done from the beginning to the end. I perceived that there is nothing better for them than to be joyful and to do good as long as they live; also that everyone should eat and drink and take pleasure in all his toil--this is God's gift to man.

Mac,

1. You know that plural marriage is acceptable to God.
2. Your wife is ok with it.
3. Your intended is ok with it.
4. You have friends here in BF that can provide information and fellowship for you and your family.
5. You will not be alone in your adventure; you have others who have gone through it.
6. You already know that there will be struggles, but you also know others here on these forums that have survived them. You can make it.

I guess my question to you is, "Why not?"

Blessings

Doc Burkhart

PS. If I had all these green lights in my OWN life, I would be moving forward on this!

macike,

you wrote:
Do not hold back on how you feel.
OK, I'll try not to. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not to be snarky but THIS took a doctoral dissertation?
No, it did not take a Doctoral Dissertation to show that there are more women than men in churches. What it took was a little bit of research to determine if that phenomenon is limited to those few churches where I have had personal experience, or if it is a general phenomenon that is true in most churches. It is a general phenomenon, as my research shows. And it is even more out-of-balance in the Roman Catholic Church, where the ratio is as high as 20:1 in some parishes! Remember, that is the church that started the whole goddess-worshiping ("Holy Mary mother of God...") monogamy-at-most-but-celibacy-is-more-holy-yet false doctrine within Christianity.

It also took research to properly document that in the Dissertation. You can't just use anecdotal evidence when you are developing a position in a dissertation, it needs to be backed up by solid research. (Thanks to The Barna Group for doing that research and making the results available. I would not have had the resources to do the original research, but that is what they do to earn a living.)

James 1:27 NKJV Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.

Here's what Thayer's Greek Definitions says about "visit":
G1980
ἐπισκέπτομαι
episkeptomai
Thayer Definition:
1) to look upon or after, to inspect, examine with the eyes
1a) in order to see how he is, i.e. to visit, go to see one
1a1) the poor and afflicted, the sick
1b) to look upon in order to help or to benefit
1b1) to look after, have care for, provide for: of God
1c) to look (about) for, look out (one to choose, employ, etc.)
Take special note of definition 1b and 1b1. Shouldn't we be doing the Father's business instead of our own?

Here's what Strong's says about "widow":
G5503
χήρα
chēra
khay'-rah
Feminine of a presumed derivation apparently from the base of G5490 through the idea of deficiency; a widow (as lacking a husband), literally or figuratively: - widow.
Notice it says "(as lacking a husband), literally or figuratively." No reason given for the lack - it might be due to death, or it might be because she never had one.

And back to Thayer for "orphan":
G3737
ὀρφανός
orphanos
Thayer Definition:
1) bereft (of a father, of parents)
1a) of those bereft of a teacher, guide, guardian
1b) orphaned
Part of Speech: adjective
Again, note that one meaning is "bereft (of father...)" and another is "bereft of a teacher, guide, guardian." You could argue that the mother is "teacher, guide, guardian," but then, what about Ephesians 6:4?

And back to Dr. Strong for "affliction" ("trouble" in some translations):
G2347
θλίψις
thlipsis
thlip'-sis
From G2346; pressure (literally or figuratively): - afflicted, (-tion), anguish, burdened, persecution, tribulation, trouble.
As to definitions, etc., remember that context matters, and the entire Bible is the general context for any given passage. That means no one passage will contradict any other passage if both are properly understood. So what I said about "visit" is valid, because elsewhere in the Bible, in Ephesians 6:4, for example, fathers are specifically given the responsibility to "...bring them [children] up in the training and admonition of the Lord." What worse affliction can a person have than to not be properly brought up in the training and admonition of the Lord, and, as a result of that, spend eternity in hell? Just looking in on a widow and her orphan(s) and saying, "Yup. You have a problem. Here's a few bucks for you to eat on. Good luck on finding a father to teach you the way of the Lord" does not do any good. According to Ephesians 6:4, every child needs a father, not someone who will just visit them when it's convenient.

Another consideration: who is the head of a single mom? Her Pastor? As if he wasn't overworked and underpaid already without trying to be husband and father to a whole church full of widows and orphans. Her father? Then where was he when she became a single mom? The Lord, Christ Jesus? Here's what He says about that:

1 Corinthians 11:3 NKJV (3) But I want you to know that the head of every man is Christ, the head of woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.
He delegated headship over women to us men. So which man is her head, if she has no husband? That could be thought of as another form of "trouble" or "affliction."

IMHO, it's time for the Church to return to what the Bible teaches about family values. Of course, that is what this forum is all about.

If we could only come to agreement on what that means...

Marv

Back