• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Widows and Orphans

Courting4Life

Real Person
I don't know of any organization or service specifically seeking widows and orphans in order to present the polygynous family concept. When you speak of orphans, adoption processes become involved and may be very complicated if not impossible for most polygynous families at this time. Be assured there are a number of single mothers actively seeking, and many more that will consider polygyny.

We do not suggest "Polygamy Dating Sites" in general due to the vague nature of distance relationships, but have participated with them briefly and befriended a few ladies. We also created a profile on a major dating site and included our beliefs up front. The response was greater than the special interest sites. So much has to do with the individuals involved, not just "them" but you. We have been fortunate for the opportunities to minister to those women who have contacted us. Our sincere interest in friendship, openly honest intentions, and emphasis on God have been noted as reasons women feel comfortable speaking with us.

As for the aspect of polygyny being a means by which the faith may reach the lost, it is doing just that in the example give above. Whether or not you take a wife not within the faith is another matter, and one I believe must be left to each man's ability and calling. You will find that many men have admitted to the difficulties in personality, habits, addictions etc... of their wives (and mostly without uncovering them... keeping anonymous) yet love them dearly. A woman with the right character, strength, loving submission and apparent fruit in regards to family interaction that is not a believer may find a place in my home were she to understand and accept my place as husband and priest of both her and the children.

I like the idea of taking care of widows in this manner. This is where my heart is geared toward; those women who really are struggling and need help. There is no reason the State should be taking care of these women. The church should step in, and such widows marrying into an existing family is a very good solution.

Most widows in america are in their 80s. And i dont think they are interested in marying. The reason why the Bible encourages marrying widows is because in roman days it was comon for a man if he wanted roman citizenship to be required to wait. Until he was 40 to marry. Then he mairred an available girl which in the eastern meditrainian sea coast would have been 14. (Much older than that and they would have been already married to someone else) Since many people didnt live that old most lived into their forties this left many 18 to 24 year old widows. We dont have this happening today.

I think any decent christian man if God placed it upon his wifes heart to sugest they help a widow, would gladly do so, part of what the Bible teaches. But i wouldnt wish widowhood on anyone, it would be a horible thing for a young man to not be able to be their for his wife, and what if it was your wife who became the widow how would you feel.

While a majority of widows in America might be older. Perhaps not 80's, but past what is generally considered "child bearing" years. You might be surprised that many in fact do want to be married, as evidenced by some of our own members here on the forum, lol.

Additionally, young widows definitely exist, not in the numbers that they have at times in the past, but as long as we have wars, and hazardous jobs, and gangs, and high fat foods, there will be widows. Widowers as well, but not as many.

A thread revived... what now appears to be a thread I started is, as I recollect, my response to a post inquiring as to whether polygyny is the saving grace to such individuals or if it was right to marry outside the faith. I don't recollect exactly, nor do I know what happened to the initial post or if my reply was simply moved.

ServantoftheLord said:
The reason why the Bible encourages marrying widows is because in roman days it was comon for a man if he wanted roman citizenship...

Why do you offer this as the reason Biblical texts speak of marrying widows? What scriptures are you referring to and what (if any) supplementary sources are you drawing from?

ServantoftheLord said:
...But i wouldnt wish widowhood on anyone, it would be a horible thing for a young man to not be able to be their for his wife, and what if it was your wife who became the widow how would you feel.

I don't think anyone wished widowhood, and haven't grasped what you are asking or where conversation may be beneficial in regards to how a man would feel if he were dead and his wife remarried.

UntoldGlory said:
While a majority of widows in America might be older. Perhaps not 80's, but past what is generally considered "child bearing" years. You might be surprised that many in fact do want to be married, as evidenced by some of our own members here on the forum, lol.

Additionally, young widows definitely exist, not in the numbers that they have at times in the past, but as long as we have wars, and hazardous jobs, and gangs, and high fat foods, there will be widows. Widowers as well, but not as many.

Well said.

So long as the tendency ('tendency' not blanket rule) is for young human males to think that they are ten-feet-tall-and-bulletproof we will continue to have young widows regardless of how technology or culture changes.

Back