• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Wife vs. Concubine

I think that if you were to describe your relationship technically in a modern court of law, you would call her your "de-facto partner", because that is the term in our culture that technically describes the legal situation.
This, in all bluntness, is the term I use for all wives except the one whose name is on the marriage license (of which the law only allows one, as we all know). As much as it makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end to hear such a trite example of "Po-PolitikalKorrectskii" coming out of my mouth (if you know anyone who speaks Russian ask them what that phrase means; when they get through laughing they'll explain), it's legally accurate and it avoids negative attention from secular courts because it sounds all "new-agey" and "alternative."

In your opinion, is my second a concubine-wife. We have a verbal agreement with each other to live together as husband and wife for the rest of our lives. I proposed this arrangement to her and she accepted it. I then took her as a wife. I know it doesn’t matter, just wondered what you thought. We call each other husband and wife and live as husband and wife and she’s my wife. There’s no formal paperwork or contracts.

If your two wives have equal roles in the family then yes they are your wives. But if as is typically normal in most families there's a lead wife then a new wife who doesn't have many responsibilities could be described as a concubine.

Could be.

"Concubine" is IMHO an impartial and accurate description. There is no more harm in calling a new wife a concubine than there is in calling a new soldier a private.

In time a private can become a general but not on their first day in the army.

"Concubine" is IMHO an impartial and accurate description. There is no more harm in calling a new wife a concubine than there is in calling a new soldier a private.

In time a private can become a general but not on their first day in the army.
Interesting how men's hierarchies aren't so fixed and you don't to start at bottom.

Back