• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Women preaching

@Vv76 this makes sense.I also agree teaching other women and children,but take issue at speaking to a whole church ie men included.
@Zec maybe youve heard how dreadful it can sound when men sing off-key?Safer to allow the ladies to sing lol
Hey! some of us can sing :p
It's funny you said that though because here, in the Philippines it paints a picture of why polygamy is needed.
When we sing here I close my eyes sometimes and it's like all ladies singing. That's because there are about 4x more women in the congregation than men.

Very much the same here,the men are awol and the children too: (.I've lost count over the years of the times that my kids ARE the Sunday school.Around 90% of the time..in a way this is okay as it allows me to teach it then.Theyre not big on family-integrated here either.

An alternative perspective on women teaching in a congregation:

Something to keep in mind with a lot of these epistles is they are often writing to congregations where many if not most of the leadership were Jews. In Jewish tradition the men study the word a lot; and the women are exempt due to other important tasks that keep them busy. The early Gentile believers in those congregations assimilated into the Jewish culture since the "Followers of the Way" later known Christians, was a sect of Judaism; so even the men who had been Greek or whatever adapted this culture of "men study the scriptures hard". In other cultures where epistles are sent we also find that almost all of the women in the day were illiterate and most of the men as well.

In such a context it would certainly be shameful for someone who had little bible experience, and was likely illiterate as women back then were not taught to read usually, to stand and teach the scholars. It's not such a reflection on women I think as it is on the notion of someone with relatively little learning trying to compare themselves as equal or above those with deep bible learning.

Today, however, it is a fact that there are some women who are very deep in their bible learning and there are many men who are ignorant, perhaps only studying 15 minutes a day. In such a case, I posit it is ashame for such men to contradict teachers in their communities who are deep in the scripture.

In summary:
It is shameful for someone who is weak in the word and has little bible study experience in his/her life to presume to teach those (in those days mostly men) who are deep in word.

I'd find it repugnant for an 18 year old man who was ignorant to try to contradict a thirty-year old female bible scholar. This is an issue with the times we live in ;there is rarely respect for the level of bible learning that someone has inside of them; only for titles.

Luke 6:40 “The student is not above the teacher, but everyone who is fully trained will be like their teacher.”
***disclaimer -I'm only presenting this because I didn't see anyone suggesting this perspective and I though it might be edifying as an angle not yet considered, I'm not suggesting that women seize leadership roles where there are qualified men***

Last edited:
That's because there are about 4x more women in the congregation than men.

This is part of the reason I think the church is ready for polygyny again. Why? We are expecting our daughters to go out and marry the enemy instead of marrying within our tribe (the church). Just think how that storyline plays out. Not good.

This is part of the reason I think the church is ready for polygyny again. Why? We are expecting our daughters to go out and marry the enemy instead of marrying within our tribe (the church). Just think how that storyline plays out. Not good.
Here in the Philippines, in the denomination I attend what you are saying is *totally* evident.
There are often quite literally 4x more women than men at many of the congregations.
These ladies are stuck and they think they have 2 choices: 1-be unevenly yoked by marrying a guy from another denomination [Catholic, etc] (with very different interpretations and requirements for living) so she must become the head of the house (against scripture) leading her husband to a "more perfect way of faith", or 2-remain a virgin all her days.
There are many many ladies in that fate here. In their fifties, pretty, never married, likely never will unless the tyranny of church tradition is lifted from their eyes.
It's very very sad when I talk to them and see the resignation to a life of loneliness without children and family and often added poverty without a man to support them.

Yeshua came that we might have more abundant LIFE not forced nunnery and celibacy

Back