• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Women's Bible Study on David

lutherangirl

Real Person
Female
So ladies, I'm dreading Thursday night's study. We are studying David and are at the part in our study where David and Bathsheba come together. Already through the study there is discussion that kings should not multiply wives for themselves and the whole God intended only one man and one woman theme throughout our seven weeks of study. It is very hard to sit through these sessions with this dear women of God and not be able to express openly how God has opened my eyes to the truth. Then to come upon our study where David took another man's wife and having her husband killed is basically not good timing for my truth to come out. Then the truth of what I feel God put on my heart I start to waver in my belief, only to find that my husband's belief grows stronger at the time I'm growing weaker.

Has anyone else every been in this situation? If so, what did you do about it?

The timing needs to be right to say something. If you feel YHWH telling you to speak truth then do it, but otherwise I wouldn't say anything. I have a friend I wanted to mention it to the other day, but I didn't because it didn't feel right. I can't really explain that feeling, it just wasn't the right time.
When I'm feeling my belief or faith start to waiver then I will spend time talking to my husband about what's bothering me, and about YHWH in general. I also try to read the word to get relevant verses back into my head. And I'll throw up the odd ranting prayer, lol, I'm sure YHWH forgives me ;).

Sarah,

It's so nice to see your response. I haven't read anything from you lately and do like your "heart" of matters. You are so right about timing being everything. I did discuss it with my husband; however, we are two very different people with very different approaches. He comes doesn't hold back in sharing his thoughts and feelings, so people expect that out of him. Somehow when I do it, because I'm a little bit more reserved in personality, it tends to freak people out. LOL

While on one hand I see the point about this story not being ideal, is actually does offer very strong argument in favor of biblical plural marriage in that Nathan in dressing down David says specifically and in speaking for the Almighty, that He had given David his wives, and would have given him more. I see it as a great place to ask questions about why the Prophet would say this, and what that says about the actual nature of David's sin. It was adultery, since she was not available, and murder to try and cover it up....or at least take out the husband who would know the child was not his.

I have definitely been there. I feel the only way to get through it is through prayer. He is the only one who knows how it is all supposed to work out. Just listen for His guidance and follow it. You never know it might not be now, but it could be and, you might open up the minds of others.

I was really worried when I told my friends. Only 2 know and it has happened at different times but it just felt right and they both were very accepting of it. I know that that is not the case in all things or people but I do believe that God gives us all of those moments good or bad to learn from.

I love the comment you made about you feeling weak and your husbands faith growing. It sounds to me that you have a wonderful relationship. That’s the amazing thing about God and who He has chosen for us, they are weak when we are strong and vice versa. It’s what bonds us together and helps us both grow.

Back