• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Wonderful Christan Martyrs-who is your favorite?

IshChayil

Seasoned Member
Real Person*
Male
I thought it might be a nice thread to have discussing less known martyrs of the faith. Well known is also fine.
Who is your 1 favorite martyr; Men and women who died because they refused to let down their faith or their doctrinal perspective.

I'll start with Jan Hus (John Huss in English). I had in my mind that he was a German but turns out he was a Czech priest (sorry to anyone I misled accidentally); he was loved in Germany and executed there.
Hus lived about a century before the famous 95 theses were nailed to the church door.
He translated the teachings of a huge reformer who came before him, Wycliff.

When he preached from the pulpit he refused to simply read the gospels from the Catholic lectionary in Latin but he interpreted in the common language of the people so they could actually understand the gospels.

In the end he was burned alive at the stake as was the desire of the church of Rome and the local bishopric surely jealous of him. Hus was offered a pardon at the end if he just signed a confession that the doctrines of Wycliff (reformation) were wrong and it was a sin to translate the scripture into a vulgar tongue (i.e. German, Czech, etc.). As I recall reading decades ago in Fox's book of martyrs, Hus cried out when tempted by the pardon at his feet "away with it, away with it if you love my soul." As he burned to death he sang praises to G-d while banging on his chest (certainly due to pain of death by fire) until his life was gone.

These original reformers who gave their lives for their beliefs amaze me. I can not fathom having to make such a decision. He wasn't even asked to deny the Messiah or his faith; but only to deny his practices which helped promote a truer doctrine and understanding of the word. Can you imagine how many of us would rationalize signing the confession as Galileo had confessed to save his neck (not condemning Galileo who wouldn't sign!?).

What faith this man Hus had in our G-d to be able to give his life to light the fires of reformation and he has hardly any fame from it. Most never heard of this man who reportedly led a pious, and intellectual live (a PHD) loving the L-rd with his mind and deeds.
A faith expressed in righteous acts and refusal to conform to the cess-pool norms of the times.

May we all be granted such largeness of faith when we live in such times with any bible translation instantly available, original language dictionaries and resources, and nobody threatening our lives over doctrinal disagreements.
I can understand choosing death instead of denying our Messiah, but I can not understand death instead of compromising on principles.
Truly astounding.

Thank G-d for such people who truly started the reformation.
Who is your favorite or another favorite if I took yours?

While you may be seeking martyrs that came after the writing of the New Testament, my favorite martyr is Stephen.

Acts 7:54 Now when they heard these things, they were cut to the heart, and they gnashed at him with their teeth. 55 But he, being full of the Holy Spirit, looked up steadfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God, 56 and said, "Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God!" 57 But they cried out with a loud voice, and stopped their ears, and rushed at him with one accord. 58 They threw him out of the city, and stoned him. The witnesses placed their garments at the feet of a young man named Saul. 59 They stoned Stephen as he called out, saying, "Lord Jesus, receive my Spirit!" 60 He kneeled down, and cried with a loud voice, "Lord, don't hold this sin against them!" When he had said this, he fell asleep.

BC. Isaiah and Jeremiah (even though the latter didnt die a martyrs death, he lived a martyrs life)
AD. Stephen, Peter, Paul
Reformation. Wycliffe
Americas. Pre-Independence. Obadiah Holmes
Recent History. Jim Elliot

While you may be seeking martyrs that came after the writing of the New Testament, my favorite martyr is Stephen.

Acts 7:54 Now when they heard these things, they were cut to the heart, and they gnashed at him with their teeth. 55 But he, being full of the Holy Spirit, looked up steadfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God, 56 and said, "Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God!" 57 But they cried out with a loud voice, and stopped their ears, and rushed at him with one accord. 58 They threw him out of the city, and stoned him. The witnesses placed their garments at the feet of a young man named Saul. 59 They stoned Stephen as he called out, saying, "Lord Jesus, receive my Spirit!" 60 He kneeled down, and cried with a loud voice, "Lord, don't hold this sin against them!" When he had said this, he fell asleep.

Stephen is the one who reproved them of their star they hd as their symbol right?
That made them soo upset... Today that same star is loved and even a centerpiece people's flag.
That lovely 666 star... I wonder why many choose idols and stumbling blocks. Traditions I suppose.. Some spiritual overtones..
Is that the right martyr?

Paul is another that cuts right thought bad traditional errors. His people are hard hearted and were into the extermination of prophets. Christ was their most notable extermination. Church accused and state killed.
Who gives the state power to murder?

Man made religion is bondage or a type of hell.
There we also got to see some populist democracy. The mob choose, pilate washes his hands.
Remember during the temptations, the devil offered Christ things he had been running.
Man made church and state..

Last edited:

Yes I was assuming modern era but Steven is an excellent choice!
a pure example

Stephen is the one who reproved them of their star they hd as their symbol right?
That made them soo upset... Today that same star is loved and even a centerpiece people's flag.
That lovely 666 star... I wonder why many choose idols and stumbling blocks. Traditions I suppose.. Some spiritual overtones..
Is that the right martyr?

Paul is another that cuts right thought bad traditional errors. His people are hard hearted and were into the extermination of prophets. Christ was their most notable extermination. Church accused and state killed.
Who gives the state power to murder?

Man made religion is bondage or a type of hell.
There we also got to see some populist democracy. The mob choose, pilate washes his hands.
Remember during the temptations, the devil offered Christ things he had been running.
Man made church and state..

@cubanito seems you are being a bit provocative.
This thread is about a positive subject; wonderful martyrs; who is your favorite or a relatively unknown martyr who might be edifying to the rest of us.

Let's please not have discussions about a "666 star on a nation's flag" or traditions=idols etc.

If you have a beef with a certain ethnic group please don't bring that into this thread.
I'll leave the bulk of your post for others to respond to if you don't feel it would be righteous to edit it out.
Thanks and peace

Let's please not have discussions about a "666 star on a nation's flag" or traditions=idols etc.

Agreed. I don't think any good can come from that discussion at all.

BC. Isaiah and Jeremiah (even though the latter didnt die a martyrs death, he lived a martyrs life)
AD. Stephen, Peter, Paul
Reformation. Wycliffe
Americas. Pre-Independence. Obadiah Holmes
Recent History. Jim Elliot
Thanks for listing Jim Elliot; I had to research him.
Amazing how his family followed up; and how he was able to prevent himself from shooting unbelievers to save his own life knowing they would go to hell if he did.

Very inspirational. This is what I was hoping for to learn of inspirational martyrs we may not have heard of before.

No ethnic issues, God loves all his children. He is not racist at all since He created all of us. Symbols and idols are just things people choose. So I can assure no ethnic issues at all here. Just hope folks can examine things deeper.
We all choose what we believe.
Christ is the truth.
Favorite martyrs are Stephen, pure spirit preaching truth onto his death.
Paul too for seeing through errors bluntly.
Short answer..
I wonder these days, how many Christ believers would really say the truth unto their death. Or would they adjust and tweak according to audience to save skin and relationships.
Sorry if I irritated anyone..

Last edited:
I believe there are many martyrs today that we don't hear about. Some in middle east areas that bacame more fundamentalist dominated, exreme communist dictatorships etc.
That is really sad, we don't even know, but hear about them once in a while, after they get martyred.
In modern times I don't believe most of us have such courage to die for what we believe. We prefer to survive and keep a low profile. That is especially true when we have family and little ones to care for. Not too on fire for Christ right?
If we could know modern martyrs, maybe we would be more encouraged and hot for Christ?
We are relarively rich and comfortable. To be less lukewarm, the situation would have to severely change. What do you guys think?
The poorest people rely more on God for every thing.

Back