• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Meat You can't pick and choose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark C

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
This question and discussion is being confined to this area for the obvious reason:
what I contend is the only logical answer will offend some many. But, wait just a darn minute -
so does ANY discussion of polygyny that "implies" His Word means what it says!

I won't repeat what has already been said elsewhere: owners of a property, including a website, can (in theory, that is - if we still had a free country ;) ) do anything they want with it.

And I'm a big proponent of Biblical polygyny, and all that it implies, and the blessings that should flow from obedience to His Word.

But therein lies the rub. I can ONLY do that faithfully, before Him, IFF (IF, and ONLY IF) I acknowledge that what He says, repeatedly, is True: He changes NOT, is the same, "yesterday, today, and tomorrow," and didn't change so much as a tiny "yod or tiddle" of His Written Instruction for us.

So: Let me be clear, so there's no doubt. I never DEMAND that people take a second wife (or any, for that matter - some just aren't fit) or even must believe as I do. Nor do I demand that they "keep" (which they really can't do anyway, 'cause we're in exile) His 'moedim,' or use honest weights for 'money', or eat what He says is good for you, or love their neighbor, or even avoid killing their kids with the Poison-Poke-of-the-Day.

And I don't argue with Good Catholics about the 'primacy of Scipture,' because THEY DON'T ACCEPT that premise. Their primary postulate, enforced historically on pain of death, is that 'the pope is infallible' (sometimes) - and that laity can't possibly read and interpret 'the bible' for themselves anyway. You can't argue about 'truth' without a shared basis for Truth.

Which is why I have a problem with some of the 'false dichotomy' that I see here, on occasion, when it comes to Scripture:

Most here accept that, even though we grew up in a culture which admittedly LIED TO US about it, what Our Creator, and the Author of Scripture, Wrote about "marriage" is "TRUE," period. And we'd be better off if we learned that lesson, and how to "walk in it."

So far, so good.

Where I have a problem is the "logical disconnect." And, no, I really can't ignore it:

(And here, I'll drop the 'velvet glove,' and say it as I am wont to. o_O )

If the 'whore church' CHANGED what He Wrote about marriage (and that's another thread, oft noted here, and easy to show) and that is "BAD," and we need to get it Right...

...then do we at least need to be consistent?

Can we "pick and choose," from His Word, based on our baggage, our 'xtian prejudices,' or the "traditions of the elders," or some dead papal edict, and say, "BUT, He got THIS, or THAT, or whatever, wrong?"

I can deal with literally ANY argument against 'polygyny' FROM SCRIPTURE. Because what He Wrote is True. But I can't do it without being able to say that His Word, ALL of it, As Written, is True.

I've waited so long for someone to drop this one. Almost did it myself when @NBTX11 asked about your beard, but figured I'd be excommunicated if I did that. I hope the debate is allowed. It needs to be discussed because it's an obvious stumbling block when trying to witness to monogers.

This question and discussion is being confined to this area for the obvious reason:
what I contend is the only logical answer will offend some many. But, wait just a darn minute -
so does ANY discussion of polygyny that "implies" His Word means what it says!

I won't repeat what has already been said elsewhere: owners of a property, including a website, can (in theory, that is - if we still had a free country ;) ) do anything they want with it.

And I'm a big proponent of Biblical polygyny, and all that it implies, and the blessings that should flow from obedience to His Word.

But therein lies the rub. I can ONLY do that faithfully, before Him, IFF (IF, and ONLY IF) I acknowledge that what He says, repeatedly, is True: He changes NOT, is the same, "yesterday, today, and tomorrow," and didn't change so much as a tiny "yod or tiddle" of His Written Instruction for us.

So: Let me be clear, so there's no doubt. I never DEMAND that people take a second wife (or any, for that matter - some just aren't fit) or even must believe as I do. Nor do I demand that they "keep" (which they really can't do anyway, 'cause we're in exile) His 'moedim,' or use honest weights for 'money', or eat what He says is good for you, or love their neighbor, or even avoid killing their kids with the Poison-Poke-of-the-Day.

And I don't argue with Good Catholics about the 'primacy of Scipture,' because THEY DON'T ACCEPT that premise. Their primary postulate, enforced historically on pain of death, is that 'the pope is infallible' (sometimes) - and that laity can't possibly read and interpret 'the bible' for themselves anyway. You can't argue about 'truth' without a shared basis for Truth.

Which is why I have a problem with some of the 'false dichotomy' that I see here, on occasion, when it comes to Scripture:

Most here accept that, even though we grew up in a culture which admittedly LIED TO US about it, what Our Creator, and the Author of Scripture, Wrote about "marriage" is "TRUE," period. And we'd be better off if we learned that lesson, and how to "walk in it."

So far, so good.

Where I have a problem is the "logical disconnect." And, no, I really can't ignore it:

(And here, I'll drop the 'velvet glove,' and say it as I am wont to. o_O )

If the 'whore church' CHANGED what He Wrote about marriage (and that's another thread, oft noted here, and easy to show) and that is "BAD," and we need to get it Right...

...then do we at least need to be consistent?

Can we "pick and choose," from His Word, based on our baggage, our 'xtian prejudices,' or the "traditions of the elders," or some dead papal edict, and say, "BUT, He got THIS, or THAT, or whatever, wrong?"

I can deal with literally ANY argument against 'polygyny' FROM SCRIPTURE. Because what He Wrote is True. But I can't do it without being able to say that His Word, ALL of it, As Written, is True.
Didn’t you answer your own question? You describe it as being “in exile” but it’s the reason you don’t stone adulterers, enslave thieves or travel to the temple three times a year, it’s too hard. It would require too much sacrifice on your part. The powers of this world prevent you.

Some people believe they don’t have to perform certain functions, that they don’t fall into those categories (some of those people are right too). Others believe in various level of dispensationalism (we all believe in some level of it).

So the individual reasons get very complex and highly personal and can lead to intense debates and relationship destroying disagreements and so I’m locking this thread.

The End.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back