• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

You Me Her

tps26

Male
You Me Her is a "poly-romantic comedy" TV series available on Netflix outside the US and from other sources in the US. The show is about polyamory and not polygyny. Consequently, and being produced by the world, there is a lot of erroneous stuff to wade through. But at the end of the day it is about a man and two women doing life.

They live in suburban Portland and despite Portland's pride in being "weird" they find their lifestyle is closely scrutinized and their privacy invaded by comically nosey busybody neighbors. Jack, Emma, and Izzy display how three people can enjoy life together and work through real problems combining two homes into one.

The writing is excellent, the acting believable, and you will find yourself alternating between some great laughs and some face-palming groans. Jack (played by Parks and Recreation's Amy Poehler's brother Greg Poehler) is a pushover indecisive man that just lets things happen to him and shrugs off all the decisions to the ladies (even the secular reviews I read were put off by his behavior). I think the writers felt obligated to make him this way to make it "polyamory" - which in this show looks a lot like polygyny with the patriarchy ripped out.

The two girls are also bisexual, which is also forced in for secular approval. Emma is kind of meh. Izzy makes the show great. She is honest, thoughtful, charismatic, and charming. She puts up with a lot of crap from Jack, Emma, their neighbors and her friends to keep the relationship going and see it through. If you are willing to do the same, and can see past all the token garbage and enjoy the good parts, I think you will like this series. Give it an honest try.

This is probably not a great starter show for folks wrestling with basic theology and biblical law, but if you are comfortable in your understanding you will enjoy the upsides of it. Good conversation starters on practical aspects too. I enjoyed this show.

4 seasons out, 5th and final coming soon.

"Professor Marston and the Wonder Women" is a movie that explores the real life polygynous relationship of the creator of Wonder Woman and DISC theory.

It was directed by a lesbian and, of course explored, the bisexuality of his two wives. There was only one problem. The grandchildren denied the wives were bisexual and dismissed large aspects of the movie as fiction. One family member was quoted as "They (the two wives) shared a roof, not the same bed."

For those of us who don't have Netflix, keep us posted on the comings and goings of the three.

"Professor Marston and the Wonder Women" is a movie that explores the real life polygynous relationship of the creator of Wonder Woman and DISC theory. It was directed by a lesbian and, of course explored, the bisexuality of his two wives. There was only one problem. The grandchildren denied the wives were bisexual and dismissed large aspects of the movie as fiction. One family member was quoted as "They (the two wives) shared a roof, not the same bed."

One has to wonder, no pun intended, if it is at all normal that grandchildren would have any direct knowledge of what was going on in their grandparents' beds.

"Professor Marston and the Wonder Women" is a movie that explores the real life polygynous relationship of the creator of Wonder Woman and DISC theory.

It was directed by a lesbian and, of course explored, the bisexuality of his two wives. There was only one problem. The grandchildren denied the wives were bisexual and dismissed large aspects of the movie as fiction. One family member was quoted as "They (the two wives) shared a roof, not the same bed."

For those of us who don't have Netflix, keep us posted on the comings and goings of the three.
Some of the children threw some doubt on this issue although it’s completely irrelevant.

Season 5 of You Me Her was released just a couple weeks ago. It's actually on YouTube, however Seasons 1-4 are not and you need to see them first.
This really is a great show. The writing is smart, and the characters are genuine enough that even a non-poly person would get into it. Great light-hearted introduction to the concept.

Season 1 trailer:

Unfortunately, this doesn't appear to be available on Dish Network.

:^(

Izzy makes the show great. She is honest, thoughtful, charismatic, and charming. She puts up with a lot of crap from Jack

So this is the usual sitcom amazing wife married to dolt husband?

The show is purposefully formulaic in order to juxtapose well-known tropes from the last couple decades of rom-coms with the quirks that come from being a "throuple".

I also think making Jack indecisive, and Emma selfish, allows for 5 seasons of drama. Really, each character takes a turn or two at having issues.

Some of Jack's "issues" are laughable though, like when he walks in on his ladies in a bubble bath together and gets jealous of them/feels left out and storms off. I'm thinking, dude just get in, or pull up a chair. His insecurity about them potentially only having feelings for each other feels a little forced. I am sure it could transpire in such a relationship, but the way the show portrays it, it's a little silly.

One of the sweetest moments in my opinion is when Jack has been hurt by Emma and Izzy just comes along side him to be there for him. That's not something you get in monogamy.

It's neat to see portrayed how with three people there is so much potential for encouragement and reconciliation. When you are sad, there are more shoulders to cry on, more hugs to be had. When life is good, the experience is multiplied by everyone who is sharing in it. It's beautiful.

Some of Jack's "issues" are laughable though, like when he walks in on his ladies in a bubble bath together and gets jealous of them/feels left out and storms off. I'm thinking, dude just get in, or pull up a chair.

Clearly a female writer/producer was projecting. Not a male reaction.

Probably also explains his indecisiveness, though that at least is pattern of behavior some men will fall into.

Some of Jack's "issues" are laughable though, like when he walks in on his ladies in a bubble bath together and gets jealous of them/feels left out and storms off. I'm thinking, dude just get in, or pull up a chair. His insecurity about them potentially only having feelings for each other feels a little forced. I am sure it could transpire in such a relationship, but the way the show portrays it, it's a little silly.
Kind of reminds me of this episode of friends:

Finally got around to watching this but started with episodes 1 and 2 of season 3. @tps26, your comments above are well-taken, but so are @rockfox's. Formulaic . . . and lame. My main reaction after watching it was, I want to barf at how ridiculous TV makes men look, followed by sheer joy that my younger years were spent in a different era. As a member of the baby boom, I thought my generation had a stranglehold on self-absorption, but millennials are the new champions. But, of course, that makes sense, given that they were primarily parented by baby boomers, right?

The potential exists for this show to address some real concerns we here all share, but I suspect it will be drowned out by gag-worthiness and the manners in which it will actually subtly undermine the kind of support we would hope for from a show featuring a throuple.

One of the sweetest moments in my opinion is when Jack has been hurt by Emma and Izzy just comes along side him to be there for him. That's not something you get in monogamy.
Thanks for the fantastic review! You’re a great writer!

Back