• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

YouTube Video comments

If I were to get into this, I would call their bluff, make them put up their scriptural backing, prefacing this with a requirement that they define idios and heautou before using 1 Corinthians 7:2, and ask them to provide a biblically-backed reason for why God might use such a "sinful" activity to describe Himself. I sure wouldn't get into an argument, as I don't think that will convince them or anyone else. Instead, put the burden of proof on them where it belongs, and keep making them defend their points.

Hey @MeganC , I think that's a worthy goal most of the time as many folks tend to be negative, sarcastic, and downright mean on comments. That's the beauty of BF posters like yourself. We don't allow those impulses to overtake us most of the time.

Maybe you can add some sanity to YT and help our brothers in spiritual arms out by posting a pleasant response to those who would denigrate our convictions.

A famous quote goes something like this : "Be the change you hope to see."

Blessings to you my sister.:)

If I had an anonymous YT account (I really ought to create one) I would actually start by agreeing with his first sentence, then reframe it. How's this look?

Indeed, if your mind is "trained on sin" rather than on Christ, polygamy "sounds like fun". So does monogamy, which is one reason so many of them fail in divorce, which God hates. For that matter, many are finding that the bachelor life also "sounds like fun" under those circumstances (ever hear of MGTOW?).

But if you're a man focused on serving Christ, you know that marriage entails a responsibility to love and care for your woman. Therefore, the more marriages you have, the greater the responsibility you assume. Of course, not all Christian men are called to such a ministry.

If I had an anonymous YT account (I really ought to create one) I would actually start by agreeing with his first sentence, then reframe it. How's this look?

Indeed, if your mind is "trained on sin" rather than on Christ, polygamy "sounds like fun". So does monogamy, which is one reason so many of them fail in divorce, which God hates. For that matter, many are finding that the bachelor life also "sounds like fun" under those circumstances (ever hear of MGTOW?).

But if you're a man focused on serving Christ, you know that marriage entails a responsibility to love and care for your woman. Therefore, the more marriages you have, the greater the responsibility you assume. Of course, not all Christian men are called to such a ministry.
Nice! I like that approach. Nothing like using a man's own words to help undermine his own position (in a tactful and impersonal manner).

There is a non Zec reply on this already. One of us?

That was my question. It's from a guy calling himself Open Mouth. We actually move in some fairly poly friendly circles on YT. There are a lot of Hebrew Roots types on our channel and they tend to be more open to the idea (that video has a surprising number of likes versus dislikes) but it sure seemed weird that such a little viewed video would get two comments in one day. I can't remember the last time that one got a comment.

If I had an anonymous YT account (I really ought to create one)
Welp... now I gone and done it. :eek:

And with a bonus-round paragraph debunking the poly=adultery argument via Abimelech:
Shibboleth said:
As for whether the Bible considers polygamy as a form of adultery, prayerfully consider Genesis 20. King Abimelech, who was already married and had several concubines (v. 17-18), nearly commits adultery with Abraham's wife Sarah, but God stops him. Abimelech's defense (v. 5) was that he had acted out of integrity and innocence, because he didn't realize she was married, since Abraham hid that fact from him. The kicker? God Himself agrees with Abimelech (v. 6) that, despite his existing wife and concubines, he had acted out of integrity in taking a woman he thought was single.
The more I think about this passage (Genesis 20) the more I like it as an apologetic. It's one that people likely aren't already familiar with, so there's a novelty factor. It debunks that poly was "merely" some temporary provision of the Law, or that it was solely an accommodation of Jewish culture, or given only to the Jewish people. It debunks that poly is adultery (in that it compares them side by side), and also debunks that God never explicitly condones or blesses poly. And it does it all in one short, easily-understood story.

Last edited:
I remember coming across the reference to it in Thelyphthora, at a time when I'd thought I'd already seen all the best pro-poly arguments.

*Morpheus Meme*
"What if I told you... there's a verse where God Himself speaks directly through a dream to affirm the innocence of a man's polygamy."

Since then, it's become one of my five key passages that provide direct side-by-side comparisons between adultery and poly to prove they are different. In full, they are:
- Abimelech (Gen 20)
- The various Mosaic Laws, and the prescribed "punishments" for each case (e.g. Ex 21)
- David, Bathsheba, and Nathan's "thy master's wives" (1 Sam 12)
- Solomon's condemnation of adultery in Proverbs 5-6 vs. his portrayal of poly in Song of Songs 6.
- The prophets Jeremiah's and Ezekiel's portrayal of God as polygamous vs. Israel's adultery.

These confirmations span most of the time of the OT, from pre-law to exile, and all types of genres: law, history, poetry, wisdom, and prophecy, and portray a consistent and unified distinction.

Last edited:
Back