• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

A bit about myself and our family

JustAGuy

Male
Don't think I ever introduced myself so here goes:
  • Came to know Jesus in a Calvary Chapel at about 6 years old after my Dad because a Christian and started taking us to church.
  • Went to mostly Calvary Chapel's growing up with some time in Methodist churches as well.
  • In high school went to a non-denominational church with strong ties to Youth With A Mission.
  • At 19 I really gave my life to Jesus.
  • Served w/YWAM for a year.
  • Went to college (loved working w/InterVarsity there and went to Vineyard church).
  • Graduated and started going to a large Foursquare church.
  • 1999 got married to the cutest, funnest girl at the church. SWEET!
  • Still married to the cutest, funnest girl and now we have 4 boys ages 4 to 12.
  • Currently going to a conservative church (compared to Vineyard) where the statement of beliefs (unfortunately) includes the phrase, "God created the institution of marriage as the union of one man and one woman."
  • Working two jobs: For a Fortune 500 software development company in the finance department and I have my own online business selling small business services nationwide.

Where we're at with PM:
  • 90% done studying the Bible confirming I understand God's heart on it.
  • Wife knows Bible supports it (based on my comments) but hasn't studied it herself.
  • Half jokingly floated idea about PM w/wife and initially it hasn't been her favorite idea (don't blame her).
  • Scared to death about really discussing it w/wife but will be asking for help under separate cover.
  • Looking forward to see how God leads here.
  • Expect my wife to be reading this post in the next month or two if things go well. If they go bad, I'll be here.
Happy to be here,

JAG

PS. Happy to give you FaceBook link for family pictures if you PM me although I'm not much to look at. :lol:

thanx, bro
it is pleasant to have a better idea what you are all about and where you have been.

welcome to the board, it has been nice having you around. :)

Hi JAG!

Although I currently reside in Missouri, I grew up in SoCal and have attended both Vineyard and Foursquare churches. One of my schoolmates actually served for many years as the chief creative officer for Vineyard Worship. While most of the Vineyards I've been to are decently sound in their doctrine, there are a few that were extremely liberal in their teachings and doctrinal interpretation of the Word. The organizational structure is very loose regionally speaking, so it can leave a few holes in accountability, but they keep it that way so as to have the churches grow organically and allow the Spirit to build as He chooses. Overall, this method is not perfect, but it does fairly well.

I too am currently in a more conservative church with that very same statement of beliefs which you mentioned. While I believe that the statement is Biblically accurate in it's prohibition of homosexual "marriage", it in no way prohibits plurality of marriages.

At the behest of my wife (also not crazy about the idea of polygyny) I wound up having "the talk" with one of our pastors and his wife on this subject. After about six hours we both retained our original positions, but we also had a much better understanding of the other's position as well. He did admit that my arguments carried some valid points and that it was not an issue which endangers salvation, but neither could he sanction it. For the sake of church unity I agreed to voluntarily leave should my views ever become a point of contention within the body of the church.

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but perhaps by now you've figured out that holding a favorable view of polygyny is not a popular position to be in. :lol:
In today's social and political climates, that popularity may soon change (for better and worse at the same time, ironically enough). I'm glad to see you here and would like to thank you for your many post thus far. May God Bless and guide you.

-Will

Welcome again, JAG.

You know, with your wife at least accepting it, even in a purely Biblical sense, is a pretty significant step in itself. That's usually the first battle, I think, most of us have to overcome. I heard a pastor on the radio (K-WAV) just yesterday state, quite emphatically, that polygamy was Satan's tool to completely destroy God's idea of marriage. I couldn't even listen to the rest. Just switched to my iPod and chilled to Lindsey Sterling the rest of the way home.

So, JAG and Taller are Vineyard Veterans, too. Spent many years at the Vineyard in Barstow. In fact, I'm leaving in about an hour to attend a Men's Retreat this weekend with my dad and a bunch of men from a few other Vineyards. We have a Vineyard here in Elsinore, but haven't been there yet.

Taller: In retrospect, I think I know what you mean about Vineyards being a little loose on a regional level. I remember about 20 years ago our small church would visit a much bigger Vineyard in Victorville once a month for evening service. Then this whole Lion's Roar and Laughing in the Spirit thing started coming around. Gotta tell you: that. freaked. me. out. Wasn't too long after that our church stopped visiting and stuck to our own neck of the woods.

Anyway, gotta finish getting packed. God bless you and keep y'all safe.

-Mike

Great to learn more about you JAG.
JustAGuy said:
Currently going to a conservative church (compared to Vineyard) where the statement of beliefs (unfortunately) includes the phrase, "God created the institution of marriage as the union of one man and one woman."
Nothing wrong with that statement of faith, it's entirely true. Marriage is between one man and one woman. It just so happens that a man can have more than one of those marriages. If it said "...marriage as the exclusive union of one man and one woman" that would be a problem. But it doesn't say that. Probably an unintentional oversight, but nothing happens by chance.

Wow Mike! It's nice to run into another desert rat! Seems you've been all over my old stomping grounds....Victorville, Barstow, Palmdale, Lancaster, Mojave....all very familiar to me. I miss the high desert sometimes.

JAG,

Where did you do your Disciple Training Ship School when you were in YWAM? While we were not technically Ywammers, we ministered with and amongst them when we were in Juarez. In fact, the YWAM orphanage, which was on the other end of town from ours, was one of our fave places to be.

Lots of Vineyard, Calvary, and similar non-denom places in our travels, these days things are a touch more "stumbingly" messianic, and with a great, deep hunger for what I think you would consider a more manifest move of the Spirit. It was during our time in Juarez that God began to deal with me re: PM, and Steve gave me plenty of "acres to turn my rig around." Interestingly, it was at a Vineyard Women's conference where I met my first pm woman. She wanted me to pray for her to receive the Baptism in the Holy Spirit so she could "have more patience with [my] sister wives." My mind went on tilt, but in a good way, and she and I had a great time. The seed was definitely planted that day...

The rest is history, the big breakthrough re: PM having occurred in my time in Iraq. We added Seeking Great Pearl to our family almost two years ago, and she and Steve had a wedding at the Bib Fam retreat in Aug of 2012. Adventures abound, and God is wildly good!

So glad you are part of the crew, and looking forward to getting to know you and your tribe better. :)

It seems to me we are getting more and more Calvary Chapel people on here! I love it!

I have greatly enjoyed my time at Calvary this last year and am grateful for its place in my life, though I am not sure as to what kind of place it will continue to have as the months and years go by and people begin to find out about my beliefs re: PM. :O)

Nice to meet you officially JAG!

Steve - thanks much.

Taller on my knees (Will) : Amazing about your background - we probably know some of the same people. Small world. My experience with Vineyard has been similar - each church decides what they want to accentuate. Very interesting about your discussion with your (former) church: I understand PM is impactful socially however it's not a issue of salvation, right? Seems like water baptism is technically be a bigger issue? But now that's hardly ever discussed. BTW, love your handle. Thanks for your blessings.

NetWatchR (Mike) - thanks for second welcome :) I like KWAVE too and it's so sad when people beat their chest for things there's no Biblical backing for (like monogamy). Vineyard Barstow! Cool! I was at Vineyard San Luis Obispo around 1995-ish. Hope you had a great retreat. Thanks for all your great comments on the board, been really helpful.

FollowingHim - regarding "... exclusive union of one man and one woman..." I remember reading one of the Power Points about how each marriage is it's own entity. I think my church means it as "exclusive." Love you comment about, "nothing happens by chance." God is so good, I'm really looking forward to meeting him more personally in Heaven. Thanks so much for all your comments here and the time you take doing it. I've been learning as a result.

alit53 - Did DTS in New Zealand in 1991. Then volunteered with YWAM Los Angeles (and Lake View Terrace) for a few years after that. Amazingly, Frank Naea who is now the YWAM President was our base director. Our school leaders are still very active in YWAM and know several people in Island Breeze, YWAM India & Australia. A few friends worked w/orphanages up and down Baja but I don't know YWAM Juarez. I did some work w/Youth For Christ in Mexico City in the late 80ies. That is so cool about how you got to PM. So happy you weren't rabidly judgmental - I probably would have been. Appreciate your insights here on the board and when/if my wife joins here thanks in advance for your encouragement/support of her. PM seems initially more of a challenge for the female gender.

Carolina Butterfly - Cool handle! Thanks for the welcome, praying for you and your relationship with your church body. So hopeful they can be accommodating! Many blessings.

Thanks everyone for you kind words.

Hope I can return the favor.

JAG

Back