• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Can a Muslim man marry a Christian lady?

Ayaz_Khan_Jbr

I am a Muslim, I have made my mind to marry a Christian lady so is it possible according to your religion because Islam allows me to do so

Re: Hello Blessing I just joined

Ayaz, I am very impressed that you are actually asking that question. Good on you. Shows a lot of respect for your Christian friend.

I'll quote a few key passages from the Bible:
2 Corinthians 6:14-18 said:
Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness? What accord has Christ with Belial? Or what portion does a believer share with an unbeliever? What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; as God said,

“I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them,
and I will be their God,
and they shall be my people.
Therefore go out from their midst,
and be separate from them, says the Lord,
and touch no unclean thing;
then I will welcome you,
and I will be a father to you,
and you shall be sons and daughters to me,
says the Lord Almighty.”
This is very strongly worded and appears quite clear. However I am always very cautious with how I apply scripture. This particular passage specifically refers to idol worshippers. It may not forbid marriage to Jews, who were not unclean. Islam did not exist when this was written. It might be possible to speculate that it may not apply to marriage to a Muslim as they too follow the God of Abraham - however there are so many fundamental teachings of Islam that differ very severely to Christianity that this position would be highly questionable. Personally, I would not be comfortable with my daughter marrying a Muslim, and would feel that it was a breach of this passage.

It is important for a husband and wife to be in agreement and able to raise their children to follow God according to their faith. If they disagree on such a fundamental level this will cause problems.
Furthermore a wife is to obey and follow her husband - including in relation to God. If she believes her husband's teachings about God are wrong, that will make obedience extremely difficult for her, she will be torn between following what she believes God teaches and obeying her husband.
1 Corinthians 7:12-16 said:
To the rest I say (I, not the Lord) that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he should not divorce her. If any woman has a husband who is an unbeliever, and he consents to live with her, she should not divorce him. For the unbelieving husband is made holy because of his wife, and the unbelieving wife is made holy because of her husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy. But if the unbelieving partner separates, let it be so. In such cases the brother or sister is not enslaved. God has called you to peace. For how do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?
A few points from this passage:
- If you ignored the previous advice, and married anyway, your marriage will be valid. Divorce is very serious, and religious disagreement is not an excuse for divorce.
- The Christian wife is to attempt to "save her husband" - ie convert him to Christianity. Are you comfortable marrying a woman who will from that day forward be working on converting you to Christianity as the most important goal in her life?
1 Peter 3:1-2 said:
Likewise, wives, be subject to your own husbands, so that even if some do not obey the word, they may be won without a word by the conduct of their wives, when they see your respectful and pure conduct.
The reason that a Christian wife obeys a non-Christian husband is to help convert him to Christianity.

In summary,
1) If you are absolutely committed to Islam, I can't see this working. It would be best for her to not marry you, and if she does there will be long-term tension between your different views.
2) But if you are open to at least considering Christian teachings, I would highly recommend you do that first, before marrying her - because this is what she'll be teaching your children, you need to know whether you are comfortable having such teachings in your home.

In Islam, salvation is gained through doing enough deeds of righteousness to please God - but you cannot know whether you are saved until you die and find out. Christianity is completely different, it teaches that we can never be good enough to please God, so instead He caused Jesus to take the penalty for our sins, and we can receive salvation as a free gift by just believing in Him. A Christian can be completely certain they will go to heaven when they die. Worth finding out more about!

May God guide you both to understand how to proceed, and to learn more about Him daily.

FollowingHim, thanks for your polite reply but can you present any justification for the marriage of Imran khan and jamaima khan one is a Muslim Pathan and the other is a Christian Lady?

I am not sure what relevance that marriage has. Jemima was as far as I am aware a secular woman who converted to Islam before her wedding, so this is just an example of an unsuccessful marriage between two Muslims. Even if she were Christian I don't see why you would ask me to justify it. Please clarify what you are actually wanting to know.

I have so many examples of a Muslim man and Christian lady successful bondage but I just want to know about the legal aspect of such marriages I have no controversial ideas

Ayaz_Khan_Jbr, blessings and welcome to the site.

I see, in Wikipedia's article on interfaith marriage, that Islam forbids a woman to marry outside the faith. And so I think you, as a Muslim, are asking whether Christianity has a prohibition that is similarly specific to women, and my short answer is that it does not: A Christian woman is permitted to marry a Muslim, or any other non-Christian.

In practice, of course, the degree of opposition this lady might face would depend on the particular community of which she is part.

Ayaz_Khan_Jbr said:
I have so many examples of a Muslim man and Christian lady successful bondage but I just want to know about the legal aspect of such marriages I have no controversial ideas

Are you referring to the laws of the Bible or the laws of the state or country in which she lives?

If you are referring to the Bible, Following Him has given as clear of an answer as can be given. Christianity is not intended to be about rules, but about relationship. The Bible guides us in our relationship and helps us gauge whether the things we believe God is telling us are true or not. If I think God told me to go murder someone, the Bible would indicate that God doesn't want me to do that, so I would need to seek God further. So, does the Bible say not to? Not explicitly, but it does give instruction to Christians married to non-Christians to endeavor to bring their non-Christian spouses into relationship with God through Jesus Christ, as Following Him explained before.

As far as being legal where she lives, that would entirely depend on where she lives. If she is in the United States, there are no laws prohibiting any man and woman from marrying because of faith, religion, or race.

Ayaz, as others have alluded to I think the key issue is that Christianity and Islam are very different. Islam means "submission". It is ultimately a set of laws designed to govern every aspect of people's lives. To convert from Islam to another religion is punishable by death (depending on how strictly Sharia is followed) - in other words you can't escape these laws. And Islamic countries enforce these laws officially. So you are used to having laws governing everything.

Christianity is not a set of laws, it is a relationship with God. Love comes first. There are rules too, but far fewer of them. And "Christian" countries don't enforce these laws - for instance, adultery is forbidden in Christianity, but generally legal in the West. Even homosexuality is forbidden for Christians, but legal. You make a personal choice whether or not to follow Christian morality, nobody forces you to. Freedom is at the heart of Christianity - each of us has the choice whether to be in submission to God or not. So you shouldn't expect to find a law governing exactly who a woman can marry, Christianity just doesn't work like that.

SIrs,

I live in an area where there is a Christian part and a Muslim part. If you live in a country like I do, a democracy, the law does not prohibit a Muslim from marrying a Christian. All rights are standard.

I personally know of 2 mixed marriages and it might interest you to know the practical aspects of them.

Mixed marriage 1

The wife loves pork. She and the kids eats Haram food outside the home. Of course, everything is Halal in the home out of respect for the man. The kids are more Christian in thinking and in their ways than Muslim.

Mixed marriage 2

The wife loves pork. She cooks it right at home. The kids follow Islamic dietary laws and there's a good chance they will grow up in Islam, albeit leaning in secular ways.

Am posting about food only but there's a lot more differences.

In both marriages, the wives have not totally submitted themselves to their husbands. Although it seems their kind of Christianity may not be what FollowingHim has in mind as they are not trying to lead them towards Yeshua/Isa.

In both cases, things may not have went the way the husbands want them to. Compromises have to be made, mostly by the husbands. I'm happy to say both marriages seems to be going strong. :D Mono only though.

Back