• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

First wife not wanting to share but "accepting"?

starlit

I didn't quite know where to put this question so here it is....

Is it possible for a single woman to marry successfully into a family where the first wife would be happy just to be the only wife and would "like to keep a good man to herself"? But what if she is "accepting" and tries to be supportive of plural marriage? The two statements seem contradictory to me. Thoughts?

I don't know how possible this scenario is, or how well it would work, but I personally would not want to marry into that. I feel like of the first wife was simply "tolerating" me and my presence in her family and marriage, that would just create resentment and bigger problems.

I feel like that's the obvious though. You probably want to hear from people who may have experienced a set up like this, and whether or not it's working lol

To me, it sounds like her head might be all the way there, but it is taking a little while for her heart to catch up. It seems a lot of people get really set on a 'for' or 'against' positions, whereas such a wife sounds somewhere in between. Perhaps she is still growing into the idea?

I don't really think that the two statements are mutually exclusive. I am happy to only be an only wife and to not have to share my husband with another woman. If that's what God's plan is then I'm completely ok with that.
If God's plan is to bring another woman in then I'm ok with that too and will happily support and be involved in a plural marriage.

But if she's saying that she trying to be supportive but struggling with the concept then that's something to be cautious about.

It depends on how much you love the man and are prepared to suffer.

A marriage can commence under those circumstances, but the lifestyle will not be all smiles, holding hands and family picnics.

When the first wife is not wanting to share but "accepting"?
I found that being the first wife who did not want to share but tried to accept and follow God’s plan, I made life miserable for all of us with my agreeing, then not agreeing and then agreeing again! I always could intellectually see the benefits of this lifestyle, esp for single moms and widows (as the Bible commands). I just could not get my emotions in check enough to really whole-heartedly accept it as my lifestyle. Our situation was a little different than with most, as Jan had been my best friend and soul-sister for 20 some years (this year is our 30th year ), and I felt betrayed by both Ron and Jan. The reality was that they had not gone out to hurt me or replace me in Ron’s heart, but for Jan to come alongside me, to uplift and encourage me when things were rough, and to help me with Ron. Jan, being a widow, needed a covering and she thought it made sense for the two of us to be sister-wives as we both loved Ron and each other. And it did make sense, just not then for me.
Throughout the first 5 years, at different times, we not only got along, but were able to laugh and love and really enjoy each other, appreciating our differences and needing one another to help with Ron (We had found out that he had ALS). Our humor and faith kept us together throughout it all! And Ron would never let either of us run away or leave our marriages. Our God was so gracious and loving to us with the patience and wisdom that He gave to and through Ron to keep us together.
Like so many others, we experienced resistance from family, friends and the church. I, especially, was counselled to leave and divorce Ron. I was never going to do that! I loved and love him too much to leave! It took many years for the family to accept our new lifestyle, but they all came around.
The Lord showed me that the only way to create something wonderful of this lifestyle was for me to change, in my thinking, my emotions, and my heart. Easy to say, very hard to put into practice!! The desire of my heart was to please my husband and always to listen to my Lord. And I still loved Jan and wanted her to be happy, as well.
So, I traveled a hard road to change myself into a loving and accepting wife and sister-wife. How? I can only say that it took many prayers, tears, facing my own fears and actions, and waiting on the Lord to change me. I so wanted to be different!! I wanted to be that loving, gracious, beautiful wife that he had fallen in love with, and an understanding, kind, and loving sister-wife for Jan. I always could see her hurt, and now I could see my meeting her where she hurt. She loved me and always wanted the best for me. And now I could be that wife and sister-wife God meant me to be.
I changed, and everyone else changed. It was a true miracle in our lives! Lots of patience, love, kindness, long-suffering, laughter, a sense of humor, and not taking yourself so seriously really helps!! Our love for the Lord carries us throughout our lives.
When the first wife doesn’t want to share, encourage her and try to understand her fears, and try to put yourself in her position. If she is accepting of her husband’s choice, and realizes that God wants this for the good of the whole family, then with patience and lots of long-suffering on your part, let her work this out in her emotions and actions. Often if we continue in an action over a period of time, then our minds will come to accept the reality of life. Give her lots of love and time and take time for the three of you to pray and study the Bible. Show her what the possibilities of experiencing a wonderful, fun-filled life this can be.
And all need to be kind and loving to the second wife and give her the encouragement needed for her to fit in to the marriage. There will be a lot of arguments and fighting at different times, but take heart, ‘this too will pass’! Love conquers all, and if you persist, with God’s help, you too will find a loving relationship with all three of you. Do not forget to laugh, love, and pray!
We all praise our Lord for His Patience and love!!

So im going to give some more info now...

So i came across a family wherein the husband says the first wife is not really wanting to share him, would like to keep him to herself and she doesnt really agree with poly essentially...but is accepting of his decision and supports him and tries her best to make other women welcome. But, she will not share a home with another woman, they have to live seperately. So i pondered this for awhile. He also said the children could possibly be defensive and not accepting at first but would warm up eventually to someone. He has been married (if im remembering right they were married) to two other women. One for several years and the the other women for not as long. Hence, the children are not sure about women coming in the family now.

What really disturbs me is the fact that the wife is accepting of his decision but doesnt really see the benefit of a plural marriage. That and the fact the children are defensive. Didnt seem like a good situation to me and i shyed away from it.

I didnt really know if what the wife said was a red flag or not?

ylop said:
It depends on how much you love the man and are prepared to suffer.

A marriage can commence under those circumstances, but the lifestyle will not be all smiles, holding hands and family picnics.

But what if your just now getting to know them? That is sortof a strange condition to try to start a friendship with a family? I have talked with many families over the past several years and have never knowlingly started talking to a family where the wife wasnt crazy about me joining. Lol. The one that did (i wasnt aware of it however) crashed and burned! Im puzzled because the husband seems really nice. But i have been burned by a hot stove before and know better. Sortof makes for awkward conversations....im thinking in the back my head..."this lady cant stand the thought of me talking to her husband" ....know what i mean?

starlit said:
So im going to give some more info now...

So i came across a family wherein the husband says the first wife is not really wanting to share him, would like to keep him to herself and she doesnt really agree with poly essentially...but is accepting of his decision and supports him and tries her best to make other women welcome. But, she will not share a home with another woman, they have to live seperately. So i pondered this for awhile. He also said the children could possibly be defensive and not accepting at first but would warm up eventually to someone. He has been married (if im remembering right they were married) to two other women. One for several years and the the other women for not as long. Hence, the children are not sure about women coming in the family now.

What really disturbs me is the fact that the wife is accepting of his decision but doesnt really see the benefit of a plural marriage. That and the fact the children are defensive. Didnt seem like a good situation to me and i shyed away from it.

I didnt really know if what the wife said was a red flag or not?
Red flags all over the place. The wife is not ready, and that is probably why the other marriages didn't work out.
The great thing about a second (or third etc) wife coming in is that she can see how the man is as a husband to the first wife and work out from that if he'd be a good husband to her.
In this case you have a man who is doing something his wife isn't ready for, and who has more failed marriages than successful ones.
I'd run a mile.

FollowingHim2 said:
The great thing about a second (or third etc) wife coming in is that she can see how the man is as a husband to the first wife and work out from that if he'd be a good husband to her.
In this case you have a man who is doing something his wife isn't ready for, and who has more failed marriages than successful ones.
I'd run a mile.

OH SNAP.

*raps knuckles on table* Hear! Hear!

That is some farm fresh, organic, non-GMO wisdom that got served up right there.

FollowingHim2 said:
The great thing about a second (or third etc) wife coming in is that she can see how the man is as a husband to the first wife and work out from that if he'd be a good husband to her. In this case you have a man who is doing something his wife isn't ready for, and who has more failed marriages than successful ones.
I'd run a mile.

I agree. I sortof felt bad at first for being so dismissive as soon as i heard that. But i realized how painful it was to go thru a courtship and have it blow up later. I asked several times for answers about why the other two marriages ended and didnt feel like i got an answer to my satisfaction. With so many failed attempts to talk to families and have them disappear into thin air or find out their lying...i felt like maybe i was skipping out too early without giving the wife the benefit of the doubt. Its reassuring to me to have others respond the same way i did. Plus, i didnt want to add to any more hurt the children were feeling. I just worried this was another case of the man forcing his desires on his wife. He told me he had been shunned by their church family and friends and she and the kids continued to go without him. I felt really bad for her when i read that.

Personally I would not consider entering into a courtship without my wife not only accepting it, but wanting it. Sure it may be allowable from a Biblical basis, but would it lead to a home life that is conducive to serving God? That stage of acceptance might be worth encouraging the wife and potential to spend time together and form a friendship, but not move into courting imo. And yeah, having added and divorced multiple spouses previously would be a big ole red flag to me. It would say to me that something isn't right there.

UntoldGlory said:
Personally I would not consider entering into a courtship without my wife not only accepting it, but wanting it. Sure it may be allowable from a Biblical basis, but would it lead to a home life that is conducive to serving God? That stage of acceptance might be worth encouraging the wife and potential to spend time together and form a friendship, but not move into courting imo. And yeah, having added and divorced multiple spouses previously would be a big ole red flag to me. It would say to me that something isn't right there.

I agree. That was the main point of refusing to talk further. Thanks for validating my thoughts!

No room for any additions to any of that except to thank Poodles for her wonderful post! Very real. Very impactful.

starlit said:
He told me he had been shunned by their church family and friends and she and the kids continued to go without him. I felt really bad for her when i read that.

a house divided indeed....yup...run away from this one

Back