• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Fun with numbers

UntoldGlory

Male
Okay, so I always like to look for patterns, links, and underlying effects. I've seen a number of posts referencing more single women than men in the church, and I'd seen some "anti-poly" arguments about the poly lifestyle leading to many young men not having the opportunity to marry at all. I figured I'd do some research, because hey, sounds fun to me.

Let me preface by saying that this is not an exact science. Some numbers are very hard to pin down, especially when I get into the areas of the homosexual population or to a lesser extent, male to female ratios in churches. Some numbers are pretty reliable, like straight demographics of the US. I try to use the most reputable links possible, but again, I'm basically just doing some personal gee whiz info, not writing a thesis!

I'll be breaking everything down into groups of 1,000 (100 is not a good representation). So "In the average 1,000 people", but of course, your mileage may vary depending on where you're at.

Basic population:
In the US we have an overall ratio of .97 mtf, meaning that in 1,000 people you will have about 492 males and 508 females. Under 18 there are actually far more males than females, but we start doing stupid stuff and die off pretty early, so as you get up in age you're looking at more and more females to male ratio.

The next step is factoring in gay, lesbian, and bisexual. This one is tough because the numbers are hard to pin down and vary widely from source to source, however the most agreement from the most reputable sources comes down to about 4% of the population is gay or lesbian, with gay men being about twice as common as gay women (2.5% gay male, 1.5% lesbian). Additionally, another chunk identifies as bisexual, with bisexual women far outnumbering the men. That one has far less data to back it up, so I'm actually going to completely ignore it for now.

Factoring in LBGT, we're left with 492 Males, 12 of which are gay, and 508 females, seven and a half of which are gay (we'll round to 8), or...
480 Marriageable males and 500 marriageable females.

Now, let's look at the propensity of each group to be Christian. There are real numbers to back up the observation that there are more single women in church than men. Speaking strictly of "never married" people in their 20's, evangelical protestants are 59% female. Once you get into the 30's, the number jumps to 73% female. This doesn't factor in divorced or widowed, just never married. Taken on a broader scale though, the average US congregation is still 60% female, with many married women attending without their husbands.

Numbers show that only about one in 6 males attends church, so of our 480 marriageable males, only 80 of them are actually attending church (though more will at least claim to be Christian), whereas out of our 500 females, the entire "extra" quantity is there, with 100 females as regular churchgoers!

So let me break that down. Take the average 1,000 people, subtract out the homosexuals, pair off the non-Christians, and marry off every single Christian male, and you're left with 20 Christian females who are pretty much out of luck. Either they've never married, or they've married, gotten divorced, and their ex is matched up to someone else now.

The breakdown could easily look like this though!
400 straight, secular males paired with 400 straight, secular females
12 gay males paired with each other
8 lesbians paired with each other
80 married Christian men, 100 married Christian women, grouped as God has called and personalities have meshed. Obviously some are called to more than 2 wives, so it would be a straight 60 1:1 relationships and 20 1:2, but that's a basic breakdown.

Anyway, my thought is that God is again raising up polygamy for his people as a way to take care of his daughters, so that they don't have to a) be single, or b) settle for a schmuck that won't treat them well!

Thoughts?

UntoldGlory said:
60 1:1 relationships and 20 1:2
— would mean 25% of men and 40% of women, among churchgoing Christians, being in polygamous marriages. Just imagine that!

That was fun, thanks for sharing. :)

Thanks for sharing this. I have tried to put these numbers together before, but like you, I ran into some that were hard to substantiate, so I dropped it until later. :)

But wait, there's more!

How many nominally christian women are turned off of Christianity by the perceived lack of, and competition for, available life partners? The Catholic church at least gave single women a place to live and serve as Sisters. (Which I do not agree with, but it is still better than anything that we as protestants have ever done for them.)

If true Christianity, not just churchianity, became a target-rich environment due to the availability of proven married men, how many of the women walking in the margin between the Church and the World would be attracted?

Seriously, could it be that souls are on the line here?

UG, thanks for "crunching" the numbers, and giving us a good idea of how things are.

As a former divorced Christian single mom who was surrounded by married Christian brothers who would have made good husbands and a dad for my kids,
I remember all too well the feeling of "there's no decent available guy out there." Thank God those days ended 19 years ago, and we are also able to be a family for another woman who has faced the same dilemma.

Thanks for the feedback! And I think you might be right Steve, it could end up drawing people. Not just women though honestly, but guys too (gotta watch for wolves there) and just people interested and curious.

I do think it would really make your average single guy really need to step up and treat women right to know that they don't have to settle anymore!

You are headed in the right direction but your numbers are drastically skewed in the wrong direction. You have left out the prison populations that even widens the gap all the more.

You're right, didn't think about that one! And from my own experience a number of service men bring a wife home from overseas.

UntoldGlory said:
I do think it would really make your average single guy really need to step up and treat women right to know that they don't have to settle anymore!
Yes, this is what I call the capitalism of polygyny. One girl per guy seems more like "central planning", where allowing girls more options is a little more capitalistic, in my opinion.
It also should encourage married guys to step up their game at home, because available women are going to be watching how he treats his first wife. The honeymoon better never be over. ;)

Back