• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Get the Yoke?

Walt

Not a laughing matter, but here is maybe a little insight.

Dt 22:10 “Do not plough with an ox and a donkey together."

What is the difference between an ox and a donkey? Is this the passage Paul is referring to when he says not to be 'unequally yoked?'

According to Torah, is an ox clean?

Is a donkey clean or unclean?

The previous verse states:

9 “Do not sow your vineyard with different kinds of seed, lest the yield of the seed which you have sown and the fruit of your vineyard be defiled."

Is this a not so thinly-veiled reference to adultery?

Verse 11 and 12 say:

11 “Do not put on a garment of different kinds, of wool and linen together.
12 “Make tassels on the four corners of the garment with which you cover yourself.

This is talking about Numbers 15: 37 And יהוה spoke to Mosheh, saying, 38 “Speak to the children of Yisra’ĕl, and you shall say to them to make tzitziyot on the corners of their garments throughout their generations, and to put a blue cord in the tzitzit of the corners. 39 “And it shall be to you for a tzitzit, and you shall see it, and shall remember all the commands of יהוה and shall do them, and not search after your own heart and your own eyes after which you went whoring, 40 so that you remember, and shall do all My commands, and be set-apart unto your Elohim. 41 “I am יהוה your Elohim, who brought you out of the land of Mitsrayim, to be your Elohim. I am יהוה your Elohim.”

The blue cords were a reminder of the ropes that held up the tabernacle, the place of worship. Wearing them reminded the wearer that it was the Father's hand that brought them out of bondage, not their own strength.

We know that the Father covers the Son, the Son covers the man, and the man covers the woman. Is it good to bring unclean things into the tent, the one that represents on earth the tabernacle?

Back to Dt and the ox and donkey and seed and vineyard. Look at the verses in context. What follows? Instructions on correct marital relationships?

So are these agricultural laws or are they metaphors for marriage?

What say ye?

Walt

I find it really funny that you quoted the University of Maine cooperative extension on this one. We Maine folk don't get cited for reference too often, :lol:

Back