• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Good reasons for getting married

JustAGuy

Male
1. Having kids

2. Companionship
  • Again, not so sure about this one. Companionship & closeness are so close to God's heart - he (obviously) desires a close relationship with us and between us all (no verses needed here). And marriage provides some of this. Adam wanted this and the animals God provided didn't meet the need. We know the rest of the story. But this Old Testament principal is probably solved today in two ways (A) close fellowship with our Christian brothers and sisters (koinonia) and here's some verses: http://www.openbible.info/topics/fellowship Think of single people living closely together, serving people in healthcare and discipleship with their amazing amount of spare time. This used to be a vibrant part of society (although not without faults). We called it a monastery. It's fallen out of favor for a more sex-fueled society but I digress. (B) the Holy Spirit! Adam probably didn't have as much access to the Holy Spirit's comfort as we do today. http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans+8:26

I love the companionship and closeness I have in marriage and pursue it deeper daily! But to a single person who wants more closeness/companionship in their life wouldn't we recommend getting more tightly integrated into a vibrant group of Christians? We would not recommend scouring the dating websites more urgently!

So like kids, companionship is a wonderful benefit of marriage, but outside the one Adam reference (which is solved via other options today), I don't see much Bible support for companionship as a key driver for marriage but interested in thoughts here.

3. Physical desire
  • IMHO, this the best (only?) reason for getting married. I'd do it like this (in fact, this is how I did it 14 years ago): I've gotten to be great friends with someone (as part of the group fellowship/companionship I've been pursuing), I've been making disciples (either individually or together as part of a group) and yet no matter how much I pursue these other things, I find myself having a really hard time "managing my [physical] desires and emotions" with this woman (whom I'm probally doing these things with)! In this case, get married! The following link to 1 Corinthians 7 seems really clear on this: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se ... ersion=MSG

There's a bunch of reasons (even though I find myself in this place) that I would NOT get married like: I'm underage, I can't provide for this person, the community of Christian friends I highly respect and trust are telling me this person is a really bad match for me, etc. And in this case I probably need to physically distance myself (for both our sakes!) or put some big boundary in place to protect (us both) but I digress.

1 Corinthians 7 seems abundantly clear that if I can manage my [physical] desires and emotions then a simple life (unmarried) is a really, really great option to stick with (but getting married a great option too!).

I feel like the above framework works for 1 marriage and 2 marriages. In other words let's say my union with my one wife (which when combined with kids, continued church fellowship, continued mentoring of people (including kids now!)) has helped me manage my [physical] desires and emotions - maybe because I'm so busy and engaged that my [physical] desires and emotions are fully maxed out :-)

1 Corinthians 7 says that if that's the case, then a simple life (one wife) is a really, really great option to stick with. But if I find myself in the same position I was in with woman #1 (unable to manage my [physical] desires and emotions) and yet I'm fully in love with and successfully engaged/supporting/loving wife #1 then having 2 wives is a great option too!

Thoughts? (Go easy on me - I'm new here!)

Just a guy, you are very much a guy! :lol:

Ok, from a women's perspective, you've got this all messed up. Maybe what I think isn't perfectly biblical, but it is a woman's mind.
Question for you. How old were you and your wife when you got married?

I was 21 when I started dating Samuel. If he had asked, I would have married him straight away. But we didn't, we dated for 18 months before marrying. At that age, I was already worried that I would never find someone to marry me. Does that seem totally ridiculous? Yip, it was. A lot of that was due to my past that I won't go into here.

I wanted a man. I wanted companionship. I wanted someone to love me, and someone to love. I wanted someone to guide me. I wanted to be a wife, and I wanted to have children.

According to your post, none of those things are reasons I should've gotten married. Apparently only if I wanted to go to bed with him. (Yeah, that was in there too :oops: :lol: )

I always wanted to be a wife and a mother, that was always where I felt my calling to be. I can't imagine how insanely difficult it would be for me if I was the age I am now (30) and still looking for a husband. There are so many good Christian, single women out there that are in their thirties. To say to them that having kids and companionship are not good reasons to get married could be very hurtful.

When you are alone, and your biological clock is ticking, and all the good men are taken, it can be insanely lonely.

The posts you've written sound cruel TBH. Sorry, but they do. It's all very well to say that from a perfectly rational, MARRIED man's perspective. Switch it up man, think about how a single woman would feel. Emotions, we women have them, frequently.

Perhaps you are only talking about this from a males perspective. But you didn't actually say that that I recall.

Getting married for companionship to me seems like a hell of a lot better than getting married just to have sex. But then, I'm a woman!

You can throw all the bible verses at me that you like, claiming me to be wrong, but it doesn't change my feelings. Feelings, we women have them!

I think the key issue here is that the Bible never actually says why you should get married. It says a lot about marriage, but doesn't give many rules about this. So any statements about something being a right or wrong reason for marriage are the words of man, not God. We can read a lot into scripture, and might come up with good or bad advice, but nothing more than that.

Every situation is different, and rather than giving us rules about this God has given us the ability to reason. Isn't He wonderful!

Been keeping my mouth shut, curious to see what someone else would say on this...

To ME, God said, "It isn't good for mankind to be alone. I'll get involved in fixing that!" (Personal paraphrase drawn from multiple verses)

That's reason enough, whether first wife or subsequent. All those things you can DO together that are just not satisfactory solo.

(I'm referring strictly to 'talking to yourself'! Or long walks on the beach! Of course! :lol: )

How old were you and your wife when you got married?

27, but wanted to get married sooner (at times desperately), like 14 years old would have been fine :-) but I didn't (due to my own immaturity?).

...it can be insanely lonely...

Totally! And I feel like I can relate - I broke up with a college GF and moved to a new town in 1997. Hadn't yet fully plugged into a new church yet. It was one of the two lowest times of my life. All by myself night after night in my lonely condo. In a new job in a new town still reeling from loss of my college friends and GF. The front desk gal was attractive (totally not a Christian) and I almost marched down there and invited her to spend the night with me. I remember calling my Dad and telling him I was going to be throwing in the "Christian" towel. I just couldn't swing this "no sex before marriage" concept anymore.

The posts you've written sound cruel TBH. Sorry, but they do...

Really appreciate your forthrightness and honesty. And I'm really sorry they sound cruel - wasn't my intention - Jesus wouldn't ever be cruel! And I want to be kind like Jesus was!

...Perhaps you are only talking about this from a males perspective...

Was writing to both genders since 1 Corinthians 7 seems written to both genders however my wife has commented (more than a few times) my comments are often blunt, aggressive and distancing with a "take it or leave it" and a "you must be stupid if you don't see it my way" mindset and that probably came across. I totally apologize! I'm working on this a lot. Thanks for your patience in advance.

Getting married for companionship to me seems like a hell of a lot better than getting married just to have sex.

Gosh, I totally agree!!! And I wish I saw the Bible supporting how we both feel about this but it doesn't seem to? Doesn't the Bible say the best solution for loneliness is close fellowship w/groups of like-minded Christians?

...the Bible never actually says why you should get married...

Doesn't 1 Cor chap 7 give good reasons for getting married? http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se ... ersion=MSG There might be a lot of good reasons for getting married however the Bible seems list a precious few (and except for the Genesis passage CecilW mentions below, most of them seem rooted in physical attraction like Song of Solomon) but correct me if I'm missing the boat here?

..."It isn't good for mankind to be alone. I'll get involved in fixing that!"....That's reason enough...

CecilW you're certainly well studied here and I've really been enjoying/learning from your writing here (and tongue in cheek humor!).

That said, it seems the principal of the "mankind to be alone" passages are now (in a New Testament era) geared as much to fellowship (as described in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koinonia) as to marriage. In other words, it seems like Paul is appealing in 1 Cor 7 for us to strongly consider koinonia in lieu of marriage (but if we can't, it's totally fine to get married [and married as many times as the Lord leads]).

Thanks so much everyone for helping me work this out!

I take 1 Cor 7 to mean that sexual attraction is a perfectly valid reason for marriage. This is a point that is often ignored by many people in the church, sexual attraction is seen as dirty rather than as something God has created for us. I recall that one person I know, when wanting to marry someone that was not popular with everyone in their life, was accused by one naysayer that they "only wanted to get married so they could have sex". The fact that that was even seen as a criticism is completely against the Bible: wanting to have sex is actually a completely Biblical and wholesome reason for marriage! But the world thinks you need some more noble reason.

This issue is seen in polygamy a lot too. When explaining why polygamy is ok we tend to stress that it's a way to care for women and children, which is entirely true, but we stress this point because it sounds noble. Sex sounds bad. But in reality, if a married man is sexually attracted to a second woman, that in itself is a perfectly valid reason for marriage, just as for a single man. Marriage allows him to fulfill those sexual desires in a safe and wholesome setting. The one polygamous marriage authorised by Martin Luther was for this very reason: the man struggled with lust and had many affairs, which he deeply regretted but struggled to stop, he was a sex addict. The second marriage was to provide a safe outlet for his desires and remove temptation. By all accounts it worked well. But this reason for a second marriage wouldn't make you popular at church, however biblical it actually is.

However it does not go so far as to say that this is the only valid reason for marriage, it might only talk about sexual attraction but to take that to mean that anything else is wrong would be to jump to a conclusion that isn't actually stated. We must be careful to take exactly what is in the text, no more and no less.

FollowingHim said:
I take 1 Cor 7 to mean that sexual attraction is a perfectly valid reason for marriage. This is a point that is often ignored by many people in the church, sexual attraction is seen as dirty rather than as something God has created for us. I recall that one person I know, when wanting to marry someone that was not popular with everyone in their life, was accused by one naysayer that they "only wanted to get married so they could have sex". The fact that that was even seen as a criticism is completely against the Bible: wanting to have sex is actually a completely Biblical and wholesome reason for marriage! But the world thinks you need some more noble reason.

Something I found over a year ago was an article by Coach Dave in which he pointed out the Latin meaning of the long used term "Holy Matrimony." It means literally "Holy (or set apart) mother making" and of course anyone with a brain can see what is needed to accomplish this end. It is also clear who can and can NOT participate in or accomplish this end.
Two men? Sorry, NOT holy and there is no mother making involved in what they do. Two women? (without a husband) no mother making without a trip to the fertility clinic and a donor dad. So we cannot call their relationship holy matrimony either.

So, in light of this, it would seem to me that wanting to make babies with someone is a very good and natural reason to marry so people know that the children from YOUR mother making activities are holy (lawful, intentional, wanted, loved, dedicated to God, etc.)

Sex sounds bad. But in reality, if a married man is sexually attracted to a second woman, that in itself is a perfectly valid reason for marriage, just as for a single man. ... But this reason for a second marriage wouldn't make you popular at church, however biblical it actually is.

Well said!! But a person w/major self control issues (financial, anger, etc) is going to be a horrible spouse so physical desire isn't the only consideration (obviously). :-)

[The Bible] does not go so far as to say that this is the only valid reason for marriage..

True, but it is the only recorded reason, right? (With the exception of the not-good-for-man-to-be-alone passages)

Joleneakamama said:
It is also clear who can and can NOT participate in or accomplish this end.
Two men? Sorry, NOT holy and there is no mother making involved in what they do. Two women? (without a husband) no mother making without a trip to the fertility clinic and a donor dad. So we cannot call their relationship holy matrimony either.

What about a heterosexual couple who decide to remain childless?

Isabella - you're probably asking Joleneakamama but I'll chime in since I was the OP. IMHO, getting married and not having kids is a totally fine thing! The Bible does say we want to be loving and training and mentoring and growing the people around us (see verses below). So whether we're producing physical kids or "spiritual" kids, Jesus wants us to have "offspring." Why? To create more robots who are going to tell him how cool he is? Because he has ego issues? No! It's so that we get to participate with him in changing the world for good! So that we're fulfilled and see "fruit." So that the people around us have better, happier lives!

http://www.openbible.info/topics/mentoring

Isabella said:
What about a heterosexual couple who decide to remain childless?

Obviously, since I have a large family, I'm not of the above mentioned mindset. I believe God's plan for humanity (be fruitful and multiply) involved children and families. Even so, there has for countless years been couples who, in spite of their best efforts, were not able to have children.

The term the church used to describe the marital relationship means what it means. People can redefine terms to suit them, but that can really make an accurate understanding of history hard to achieve. A couple such as you described can call their relationship anything they please, but it might be a misnomer.

My personal feelings on that are, that if they indeed choose not to have children (implying active prevention of conception or termination of pregnancies) they choose not to participate in "holy matrimony." If however, the couple you are talking about, have a lawful union (holy=no scriptural reason they shouldn't have married and honorable intentions toward each other) and they don't deliberately prevent that "mothermaking" aspect of their relationship, then one can at least say that "Holy Matrimony" was their intent.

There are many reasons couples choose not to be parents. There are valid (for lack of a better term) reasons for a woman to avoid pregnancy and being a mother, health challenges are one example. Frequently however, the reasons for not having children (or terminating children) are less noble, and are instead selfish choices made by people (often fathers) who want to "enjoy life" without the responsibility involved in giving life to another, or reactive choices based on fear (fear of being able to provide, fear of being a bad parent, fear of the pain of childbirth, etc.)

The way I look at it, life is a bit of a "Pay it forward" proposition. While we can take care of our parents and express our gratitude for the life they helped give us, passing that gift on is, to my way of thinking, the best way you can show your appreciation.

Besides, my extremely knowledgeable opinion *grin* is that God made children to make parents grow up. *nods*
You cannot fully appreciate your parents, with knowledge and understanding of the tremendous amount of love and work required to raise a child, until you are a parent yourself.

But this is just my rather poorly stated views, based on the limited amount of living and learning I've done.

OK, so your opinion Jolene is that people who choose to get married but do not (for whatever reason) want to have children, their marriage is not holy?

So, does that make it unholy then?

and they don't deliberately prevent that "mothermaking" aspect of their relationship, then one can at least say that "Holy Matrimony" was their intent.

I suppose marrying a menopausal woman is a bit pointless then, since she can't bear children any longer she won't bother trying to prevent it of course but obviously she won't be a mother even with the best of intentions so her marriage won't be holy?

Justaguy, thank you for your response. :)

Isabella said:
I suppose marrying a menopausal woman is a bit pointless then, since she can't bear children any longer she won't bother trying to prevent it of course but obviously she won't be a mother even with the best of intentions so her marriage won't be holy?

I don't think it would be pointless. Besides the other benefits of marriage, the specific blessing of having children from any union is up to God. Keep in mind Abraham and Sarah in Genesis 18:11-14. The Lord told Abraham that Sarah would have a child. She laughed because of her age and He replied, "Is anything too hard or too wonderful for the Lord?" Sure enough, three chapters later, she had a son.

Bels, she didn't say it wasn't holy, but that it wasn't matrimony, by the definition of that Latin word. Which is a very interesting point that I hadn't noticed before.

The Bible doesn't mandate having children, but does suggest that it is very desirable to have them.

Hi Isabella :)
Samuel is right, in that I was only trying to point out the meaning of the long used Latin term there, and sharing some of my scatterbrained thoughts on the subject.

As far as what is and is not holy, that is where believers look to the written word to define what is or is not a lawful union. Having children certainly does NOT, of itself, make a union holy. I know a woman who has quite a number of children with her half brother. Since this is forbidden in the scripture (and for whatever it's worth their father did NOT approve or "give" his 17 year old daughter to this brother) I consider theirs to be a very unholy union.
On the other hand, if there is no scriptural reason for a couple not to be together, and their intentions are honorable, what could be unholy about it, children or not?

Isabella said:

Obviously having children is not the entire purpose in marriage. My Dad remarried in his Sr years, a woman who is past having children. They love each other very much, and I am happy for them. I also know of a woman who, when she knew she was dying of cancer, encouraged a relationship between her widowed best friend and her husband. She didn't want them to be lonely, and wanted them to know they had her blessing even before she died. I think that is a beautiful example of unselfish love. I Just think it's sad that the only way the world approves, is if the man's first wife dies. Best friends sharing a husband sounds idyllic to me.

I just love to see two people, who obviously care for each other, doing things together. An elderly couple walking down the sidewalk holding hands, or young sweethearts, such a sight has always done my heart good. I think that would be one of the big perks of living in a plural situation. I am not jealous in the least, and would enjoy seeing my husband in another loving relationship.

I stick with what the Bible says, because my observation has been that the people living according to the word of God, are happier, healthier, and live longer. Oh, they have healthier children too, when the children have a family tree, instead of a family pole! *nods* (My cousins are my siblings and we only have one grandpa? NOT what I want for my children!)

Sorry if this is again a bit scatter brained. I am frequently interrupted by work or children while attempting to post.

Hello Everyone!

First, let me say that I find the OP an interesting question and I appreciate the many facets that have been discussed on this issue. Nonetheless, I would like to present an answer to the OP that I do not believe has been discussed fully. What does the LORD God Almighty want from you? What is His plan for you and the woman (or man for you gals out there) you are considering marrying? Above all, “What is His will?”

We have all seen the results of so many marriages that have been thought out so wisely by our own reasoning, based on our desires, rather than seriously stopping and saying, “Not my will be done, Lord, but rather, let Thy will be done.”

I realize actually finding out His will and doing His will can, and in most instances, will be difficult. I am coming from a perspective of experience here. My past plural marriage was entered into because I thought it was God’s will. What I learned in that devastating 15 years was truly a school of hard knocks! It took me a long time to fess up, so to speak, to the Lord and really ask Him if, indeed, it was His will that I married that man. I held my breath and kinda cringed up my face with one eye shut waiting for His response. Deep down somewhere, I knew the answer already. I had begged the Lord for that man, and at the time, the Lord told me He was giving him to me. I took that to mean it was His will. But 13 years later, I truly stopped to ask Him the truth; beyond what I wanted, what I longed for in that man, the intimacy I coveted, etc., and I was told the truth and a very hard saying it was! He said, “No. I gave him to you because you begged Me for him.” Just like a kid begging for more candy, and a father knowing it would make their tummy sickened, but gave it to them anyway because they needed to learn a lesson, the Lord allowed me to learn a very, very hard lesson. It cost me 15 years of my life to understand and come clean with the Lord. What I learned was, “Be careful what you pray for because you just might get it!” and “to ALWAYS pray in honesty and willingness with quietness of heart before the Lord, no matter what the circumstances you may gain or lose, that HIS will be done not your own!”

After the breakup of that plural marriage, I found myself in the backside of the desert alone for 10 years. I lost pretty much everything, and I finally came to a place of prayer in which I said, “okay Lord, YOU bring the husband to me that YOU have for me. I surrender!” From that point on, my life began to change completely. One month later, the Lord brought that man to me…the one HE had for me. There was no question that He orchestrated our meeting and what followed. The Lord presented to me a crossroads, so to speak. Would I accept what He brought to me…the husband HE had for me? I recognized that the LORD Almighty had presented me with a choice. I knew it was Him. I knew it was His will, though I admit I had my guard up. It was not because of some type of physical or chemical attraction between this man and me or some super spiritual connection that brought us together. And…I have to admit…after my past experiences, I examined every movement this man made upon our meeting and hours of talking in private. I watched every flinch of his eyes, and examined every answer to my questions posed very, very carefully. I was just waiting to see if he would go astray. Honestly, it was a test. Would he be the man of God I knew the Lord had presented to me? I really needed to see that in him to put my heart and Spirit at rest. I do not think there is anything wrong with verifying what you believe to be from the Lord as truly Him, and that is what I did. This man passed with flying colors…to my amazement, actually, and to my relief!!! Nonetheless, even in my excitement of being brought together under supernatural circumstances, which obviously showed me the Lord had something up His sleeve, I held back, as did this potential husband and his wife. We earnestly prayed, “not our will be done, Lord, only Thy will be done here. Please make this path clear that we may honor You and You alone.”

Three days after meeting him (though I had heard of him and knew his wife through the Bible college and church we all attended 25 years prior), I knew in my heart what the Lord wanted me to do. It was actually very different than I expected. The Lord gave me the words to say to him. They were this, “offer him your hand to lead.” I did not know what he would say or do. I only knew that this was what the Lord’s will was for me to do. Prior to actually saying that to him, I did go to his wife and asked her if she was good with me doing what the Lord had asked of me. She gave me the green light, and I was very appreciative of that. It confirmed in my heart that she, too, knew this was the will of the Father. So, after only knowing this man for three days, I asked him to take a walk with me so we could talk. Unbeknownst to me, he, too, had gone to his wife. He told her that he believed a commitment between him and I would happen that night and asked her if she was in agreement with him going forward. She also told him that she agreed. That night, as we chit chatted on a swing I had eyed out earlier, I bravely and nervously, “offered him my hand to lead.” In that moment of silence that seemed like an eternity, and one of which I had no idea what he would say, I sat there and waited. I thought maybe he would say, “Well, okay, we will court for a year and see how it goes.” I really didn’t know what to expect, and I was willing to accept whatever his proposal of our future relationship would be and allow him to lead the way. To my amazement, he just said, “Yes. I will.” He held my hand and we went before the Lord and committed our lives to Him and to one another. Then, he turned to me and gave me our first little kiss on the lips. My heart was flip flopping. I had no idea what the future would hold with this man, but I knew that I knew that I knew I was in the Lord’s will! Because I knew this was orchestrated by the Almighty, I trusted love would grow between him and me as we journeyed on the path the Lord had laid out before us.

It has been 19 months as of yesterday since we sat on that swing together and vowed our lives to the will of the Father and to one another. We were betrothed for eight months before our wedding, and during that time, we stayed celibate until our wedding night. I am very thankful that we walked righteously before the Lord in that and establish a relationship based on what the Lord clearly laid out in His Word. That was really important to all three of us. Since our betrothal 19 months ago, we have gone through lots of trials and changes. There were a lot of things I had to work through from my past. Some of those things were very hard and I am still on the journey toward freedom. My husband never left my side the whole way. Even during the times I was pulling away out of fear, he never let go of my hand. He held tight to his commitment to take my hand and led me, and I am so very thankful for that. Our love has grown in leaps and bounds through many toils and trials along the way. He has been my saving grace in so many ways, and I am very thankful to the Lord for sending me a man of God that I can honor and cherish till death do us part! Our first wedding anniversary is coming up here on August 12th! Some days I seriously doubted we would make it to our first anniversary, but I held onto one thing through it all…I KNEW it was the Lord’s will for us to be together and that HE is the one who put us together…it was HIS will…and though the enemy shook me like a rag doll at times, I never lost sight of that one thing! I trusted the Lord to see us through and that victory has be such a delight to my soul and spirit!!!

My point here is that we can come up with a million reasons why to marry or not marry…but beyond all that stuff, and there is plenty of it as is listed in the previous posts… “What is the Lord’s will?” If you do not know, my advice is…DON’T DO IT UNTIL YOU DO!!! Look around at the lives that surround us. How many divorces and devastated families do you personally know of? I bet there are plenty. Why is that? I believe it is because, and I am speaking from experience, they were not walking in the will of the Father…most likely from the very beginning of their considerations. I realize the enemy is clever and not all cases were due to this; but I would dare to say that many were…and many gave up on their commitments as well when it was the Lord’s will!

I would present to you, JustAGuy, that you would seek and find a place in your relationship with the Lord where you are quiet before the Throne and ask your Heavenly Father what and who He wants to be part of your journey with Him…find out what His will is and lay your own will down at His feet. The foundation stone of a relationship must be built on the Solid Rock. Vow to do it right. Vow to stay pure in your relationships, in your betrothals until a public or private marriage ceremony with close friends and/or family occurs. Set your face like flint to do the will of the Lord in your life…not your own will…because I guarantee you, if you don’t, it will cost you more than you can see at this time in your life. I truly hope this gives you a perspective that you will prayerfully consider.

May the Lord bless you all!

In His Love,
Deborah

Thank you for clarifying Jolene.

B

Back