• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Health Insurance

How do people who practice polygamy get affordable health insurance and medical treatment for their spouses and children since they are not legally registered as married? Is health insurance actually that important for a married family? I do not know I am not married.

You can buy health insurance directly. I consider it very important. I once accepted a job that did not have health insurance so I bought my own. It can be difficult to compare the various policies.

Apparently it will shortly be against the law to not buy it.

If you do not have it, I would still not hesitate to go to the ER in the event of a true emergency. They are required by law to treat you.

Thank you very much.

How much does insurance usually cost a poly family?

Can you give me more advice for where to look?

Do they cover your children even if your are not legally married to your wives?

I'm with Paul on this one. We rely on faith. All our children have not been to a doctor for an illness. We try to eat right, that means no swine flesh also. Our children are taught to work at a very young age, putting in 14 to 16 hours a day on the average. Hard work won't hurt you. No vaccines, no nothing. And we also drink so called raw milk! We have the line of thinking that if your going to die you can go to the hospital, because if you go to the hospital you are surly going to die!!!! Just our thoughts.

Dairyfarmer

I agree, Paul and Dairy farmer! We loooove our raw milk!

Preventative health care is far more helpful than health insurance. And if your family takes good care of itself and doesn't go to the doctor very often, traditional health insurance is a huge waste of money. However, we have recently stumbled across ER insurance, which is very inexpensive ($52/mo) and actually covers a good bit. Since we have 7 boys and live a very rural lifestyle--meaning a rough and tumble, slice yourself open, broken bones lifestyle -- it seemed like a good choice.

When our 5 yr old fell/got pushed off a ladder (I never got the whole story) and broke his arm, the ER insurance covered quite a bit of the bill. We went with AFLAC, and are really pleased with the results.

Hope this helps

I definitely lean more in the direction of Paul and Dairy as well, but if you are still looking for health insurance, then I can suggest Blue Cross and Blue Shield. With them, you can customize your policy to multiple adults and dependents. They originally set it up for small business owners to cover multiple employees and their families. Think of it as a group policy, but on a small scale. It doesnt matter to them what the relationship is, just as long as the premiums are paid.

I know that this was available in both Michigan and Florida, as the business I was associated with had the plans. The agent I met with told me it was their way of serving a market that hadnt been addressed before (ie small businesses, churches, common interest organizations, etc). One of his clients was a monastery, all adults, all covered by a single plan but individual policies. Another was a plan offered through a local credit union for its members and dependents.

With the advent of 'domestic partner' legislation, and the competitive world of health insurance, some companies are finding innovative ways of attracting new customers.

I can't help but think that an idealistic, aggressive agent looking to make a commission wouldnt find a way to build a plan that would work for you.

Thank you everyone for the advice. Your advice was very encouraging.

I really think polygamy is a good idea, but finances are my biggest concern.

I would want to make sure I could be responsible enough to take care of every wife I would marry.

Back