• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

How do you find other people who teach polygamy locally?

I am wondering if there are any strategies to search for Churches that believe in biblical polygamy in a local city. Or at least other individuals that believe in polygamy. I am looking for at least one person who can help me to understand scripture better and who I can talk to as a friend. I feel that my understanding of scripture needs to improve greatly.

By the way I am not looking to talk to Mormons or people who disrespect the Bible.

Yeah, we met the girlfreind we had that way, it can be useful, but there is so much sifting through junk mail...

Thank you for the answers.

I used the word TEACH not marry.

I am not asking about how to find a spouse on this post. Although any info about finding a spouse would be helpful.

I am looking for people with similar religious beliefs in terms of polygamy with whom I can study the Bible.

This could be someone who I do NOT intend to marry such as a man.

Although perhaps you already understood that and you are suggesting to go to one of those sites to look for a Church organization.

By definition, many of us don't want to be included in a "denomination". Labels aren't even that desirable, in my own case. (I've been called "Messianic", for example, but don't really care much for that term any more...too many divisions.)

If I have to pick a word, I like some like TOBE (for Torah-observant Believer) or even SOB (for the Scriptural equivalent). :)

well, that sure makes me a happy SOB :lol: :D ;)

That is a good question.

As of right now I'm not sure what would be the best way to do that. But it is such an honorable goal you have. Seeking to be discipled is essential to a holy life in Christ. Every person, if walking in the Spirit, should have such a desire to be under the discipleship of someone or numerous people who can help them grow closer to the Lord Jesus as they in turn reach out to make disciples of the Lord.

Hopefully, in time the Lord will move in people to organize for the purpose of the Great Commission. As of right now this seems to be a rebuilding time or a reorganization time among segments of the body of Christ.

But hang on.......I just happen to believe the best is still yet to come......more ideas and thoughts on this to come later...........

Dr. K.R. Allen

What do you think would happen if I called a bunch of Church organizations and ask if they have an official belief about if a man can marry more than one woman?

Would this be a bad idea, that gets people to trace my phone number and send the tanks and tear gas after me?

As for the tanks and gas etc, nah.....not that bad.

But you probably would not find much of any encouragement and it is probably a waste of time which is a stewardship issue. Chat with Dr. Cory about it sometime if you like. He'll give you sound counsel in this area.

As far as we know, speaking of traditional denominations, you'll not find much out their which will support it. Autonomous groups will sometimes support it but finding those are few far between.

The only denomination that has a standard position for accepting it is the Anglican church. Their position says if one has multiple wives they can join and participte but that they should take no additional wives. Outside of this there are some very liberal organizations that would probably not even be classified as a true church. They will sometimes allow it, but they will also allow people who reject the inspiration and authority of the Bible, and a host of other key doctrines, even leaders who reject central evangelical doctrine. So those are not much of an option either for the believer.

I know this is sad but again, stay tuned because there is still hope and better things to come should the Lord not return within the next few years. If he comes there GREAT! If his coming is delayed then in time there will arise organisms that are godly, evangelical, and Great Commission centered. Thus, I say....stay tuned.

Dr. Allen

Right now we are building a church where we live. although the building is quite a fright,lol. Untill then we are meeting at my home and at a local hotel meeting room, although it is killing my pockets!

Greetings,

I am centrally located in the Carolinas. Many years ago I created an online fellowship for people with similar beliefs. It has been a slow process but we have a few members. Eventually I hope it grows dense enough to create some RL fellowships. It has not panned out for me yet, but perhaps it might create some contacts for you if you were to create one for your locality.You can find a link to my group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Carolina_Patriarchs/

On a good note I found a local family that is only a few minutes away right here on biblicalfamilies.org, though that is a recent development and nothing has come of it.

One more thing I have pondered. If we really want fellowship, we have to beat the bushes. Think about it, how many RL people have you shared PM with? I have been toying with the idea of a tract that could be left around to spark interest if someone has never considered it, and create contacts with other formerly closeted PM people. Perhaps something as simple as a business card with Isaiah 4:1 and a URL to biblicalfamilies.org.

There are few churches that teach PM as a matter of course, though I believe there are many pastors that understand it. IF you are willing to move to Arizona I know of one who is...thinking about packing my bags myself...

God Bless,

Robert

DiscussingTheTopic said:
I am wondering if there are any strategies to search for Churches that believe in biblical polygamy in a local city.

My understanding is that there are few if any churches that believe in Biblical polygyny. If there were at least some it would probably find a list of them here on this site. There are a few poeple trying to start them. I am not sure what level of success they are having.

Or at least other individuals that believe in polygamy.

Hard to find. The best way I have found is to keep watching in forums like this and others for people who announce themselves to be near you. I am in Austin, and there is a local city mailing list that has almost no activity. There was another couple here. We are still good friends with them, but they had a bad experience with it and are no longer interested in the subject.

I am looking for at least one person who can help me to understand scripture better and who I can talk to as a friend. I feel that my understanding of scripture needs to improve greatly.

This forum seems as good as any. Post your questions! The CP2 mailing list on yahoo is also a good place to discuss scriptures. Also you might like the remnant sounds list. If you are more interested in a one on one study I am sure there are numerous people here that would be glad to assist you, including myself.

By the way I am not looking to talk to Mormons or people who disrespect the Bible.

God is blessing you, because this is NOT a Mormon forum!

I worship mostly with the Seventh-day Adventists, and have had mixed responses from varying pastors

The official church statement is that marriage is supposed to be BOTH lifelong AND monogamous.

Having said that, the attitudes and practice vary. In some places in the world, they baptize polygamists and their families and pay little attention to the issue. Others are more traditional.

Here in the states, One pastor got me disfellowshipped over it. Another behaved poorly but his board of elders saw it differently and he lost his church. Others have said, "Thanks for telling me. No problem." And one just recently essentially acknowledged and confirmed my ordination as an Elder (years ago, far away, and "previous") despite no longer holding official membership.

When I was first ostracized from one SDA congregation in early 2000, the response of the pastor from the next congregation over (a few miles away) was, "Cool! Now you're free to come join OUR worship team on the piano. Come ON! We need you."

So for whatever it is worth, an SDA congregation might be a possibility. And if not the first one you talk with, perhaps another.

How about a newspaper ad or billboard offering $500 reward (or $5,000 or $50,000 -- you KNOW you ain't gonna have to pay off!) for anyone able to provide a single Scripture saying explicitly that monogamy is the ideal, and "extra" women are just out of luck? As opposed to the alternative, polygamy done God's way, which provides for EVERY woman to have a husband, marriage, and family?

Add a phone number and/or e-mail address for contact.

Total cost may well be surprisingly reasonable.
Total response -- priceless! Ignore the unreasonables; cherish the reasonables!

Or, perhaps, start wearing T-shirts ... (see the T-shirt thread).

CecilW said:
How about a newspaper ad or billboard offering $500 reward (or $5,000 or $50,000 -- you KNOW you ain't gonna have to pay off!) for anyone able to provide a single Scripture saying explicitly that monogamy is the ideal, and "extra" women are just out of luck? As opposed to the alternative, polygamy done God's way, which provides for EVERY woman to have a husband, marriage, and family?

Add a phone number and/or e-mail address for contact.

Total cost may well be surprisingly reasonable.
Total response -- priceless! Ignore the unreasonables; cherish the reasonables!

Or, perhaps, start wearing T-shirts ... (see the T-shirt thread).

That is a good idea.

People might get really angry and demand that I give them money, when they give answers that meet their standard of proof/evidence but not mine.

DiscussingTheTopic said:
People might get really angry and demand that I give them money, when they give answers that meet their standard of proof/evidence but not mine.

They may claim that it MEANS that, but they can't show that it SAYS that. No such thing. And in the meantime, they had to study.

Back