• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

HOW MUCH DOES SHE OWE YOU?, or Isn’t Bi-Directional Due-Benevolence a Monogamy-Only Imperative?

Keith Martin

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
On August 27, 2019, I made a decision to take what I thought would be either a couple-months break from posting on the forums or perhaps a permanent one with a commitment to restricting my Biblical Families interactions to only retreats and private messages. That temporary-break length has now nearly tripled, but my time reading, studying and focusing on face-to-face relationships has been more than its own reward – and I have come out the other end even more convinced that the greatest value of Biblical Families is what occurs at conferences and other gatherings. Nonetheless, I remain of a mind to interact online as well.

Immediately after making my parting posts on August 28, though, I sent a private communication to a Biblical Families man I deeply revere; I will refer to him here as ZenEven. That message was a ranting response to something he’d written in a thread entitled something like, “Everyone’s Not for Polygamy.” Because I eventually knew I wasn’t going to publish it publicly – and because I trusted I could count on him to not only comprehend where I was coming from but follow that up with giving me sage counsel – I spent the better part of a day editing and editing the message, dumping nearly every frustration I had with anyone else participating in the thread into my more reasonable prose – adding one thing after another until I’d exhausted myself. Before I sent the message, I left some of it on the cutting floor. @ZenEven very wisely spoke with resonance to my heart, advising me to refrain from posting any of it in what was then a highly-charged atmosphere. Thus, much of even what I sent will never see the light of day. That’s a good thing.

What follows is a reconstituted version, mostly old but some new to replace the parts that simply had to go. I’m including this in my series of new postings, because (a) I thoughtfully contributed to the “Everyone’s Not for Polygamy” thread, but then (b) my thoughts were misrepresented; (c) ultimately I failed to correct that misrepresentation; (d) it’s a puzzle piece of the explanation for why I disappeared; and, (e) just prior to starting back up this month I required of myself that I do a fairly thorough review of the forum threads since August; in that process I discovered the “Sexual Duties & Children” thread – a real doozy – and, rather than attempting to respond to 17 pages of postings, I simply suggest that this recasting of my August 28 private message is relevant to that discussion as well:

ZenEven said (on 8/27/19 in response to a partially-quoted post moved elsewhere because it was deemed tangential):

Let’s be careful to not teach things that are unBiblical.

1 Corinthians 7:3-5 (KJV) 3 Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband. 4 The wife hath not power of her own body, but the husband: and likewise also the husband hath not power of his own body, but the wife. 5 Defraud ye not one the other, except [it be] with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency.

I'm not a Torah Keeper, so, as far as I’m concerned, I Corinthians 7:3-5 would normally start off with some advantage (I consider Clyde Pilkington, Jr.’s Due Benevolence to be an incredibly valuable research tool in this regard), but ICor7 is powerfully tempered by Torah – despite the fact that I do not believe I, as a non-Israelite, am at all compelled to fully adhere to Torah. William Luck (in his brilliant Divorce and Remarriage) cites the following Scriptures as having been considered definitive at the time of Torah (all quotes CVOT, but, in these instances, not substantively different from the KJV):

Exodus 21:10: "If he is taking another for himself, he shall not diminish her meat, her covering and her cohabitation."

Leviticus 18:20: "And to the wife of your companion you shall not give your emission of semen, to be unclean with her."

Leviticus 20:10: "As for a man who commits adulter(s)y with another man's wife -- one who commits adulter(s)y with his associate's wife -- the adulterer and the adulteress shall be put to death, yea death."

Numbers 5:19: "Then the priest will adjure her and say to the woman: If no man has lain with you, and if you have not swerved in uncleanness while under your husband's authority, be innocent from the waters of bitterness that bring this curse."

Deuteronomy 22:13-24: "In case a man should take a wife, and he comes in to her, yet then he hates her, charges her with iniquitous words and brings forth an evil name on her and says: I took this woman, and I came near to her and did not find evidence of virginity on her, then the father of the maiden and her mother will take and bring forth the maiden's proof of virginity to the elders of the city at the gate. And the maiden's father will say to the elders: I gave my daughter to this man as wife, but he hates her. And behold, he charges her with iniquitous words, saying: I found no evidence of virginity on your daughter. Yet this is the proof of my daughter's virginity; and they will spread the raiment before the elders of the city. Then the elders of that city will the man and flog him, fine him a hundred shekels of silver and give them to the father of the maiden, for he brought forth an evil name on a virgin of Israel. And she shall remain his wife; he cannot dismiss her all his days. Yet if this matter be true and no proof of virginity is found for the maiden, they will bring forth the maiden to the portal of her father's house, and the men of her city will stone her with stones so that she dies, for she committed decadence in Israel so as to prostitute herself while in her father's house. Thus you will take out the evil from among you. In case a man should be found lying with a woman espoused to her possessor, then they must die, indeed both of them, the who was lying with the woman and the woman. Thus you will take out the evil from Israel. In case there should be a maiden, a virgin, who is betrothed to a man, and another man finds her in the city, and he lies with her, then you must bring forth both of them to the gate of that city and stone them with stones so that they die, the maiden on the score that she did not cry out in the city, and the man on the score that he humiliated the wife of his associate. Thus you will take the evil from among you."​

Those, along with the contexts surrounding them, were the sole texts used at that time and in their wake by judges, rabbis, Pharisees, Sadducees, scribes and the like to reinforce (1) that a man owed his wife conjugal rights throughout their marriage [nowhere is it written in Torah that she owed him the same] and (2) that her corollary requirement was to grant him exclusivity to her conjugal delights [nowhere is it written in Torah that he owed her his virginity]. Period. Wives did not owe their husbands sex. If a man didn't like how much he was getting, he could have appealed to the rabbi for a divorce, and, being a man, it might in rare instances have been granted to him – but the Law leaned toward the protection of women, so don't fool yourself into thinking a treacherous divorce would have been based on Scripture; it would have been a matter of pure worldly self-justification.

Also, what we polygamy-promoters sometimes skirt around is that Paul's epistles were written during a time in which polygamy had already become predominantly unpopular, which was particularly true among the peoples of 1st-century Corinth, gung-ho Greco-Roman sympathizers by that time, to be sure. The Gentile culture in which the Early Christians were immersed was decidedly pro-monogamy-only (given that the Greeks were essentially the first to prohibit polygamy half a millennium earlier), so Paul was speaking in I Corinthians from the point of view of how real-life people in that era and locale should approach their conjugal responsibilities (context, context, context) – and his message would be the same today to any community that expects monogamy-only. If you start keeping score on this kind of thing, you’ll discover, in fact, that I Cor. 7:3-5 is one of the most commonly-quoted Bible verses in support of the mistaken notion that polygamy was outlawed in the New Testament.

Especially for Torah Keepers, because it could have impact on acceptance of strict rule-following and the degree to which I Corinthians 7:3-5 conflates due benevolence with antipathy toward polygamy, it is folly for polygamous patriarchs to disregard the fact that Paul's admonition was almost a total cave-in to the monogamy-only cultural mindset, which occurred because Paul had much bigger fish to fry at that moment, given that Christ had singled Paul out to spread his peculiar Gospel of the Mystery. So there's a bit of selfish convenience to looking backward to Torah to justify polygamy while preferring to expect our wives to live up to strictures promoted by the decidedly-non-Torah pro-monogamy-only 1st-century A.D. Gentiles. Citing the cafeteria-standard about how this might be one of those places where the old rule was replaced with a new one isn’t going to be helpful.

(continued in Post B)

[POST B, continued from above]

Again – back to the “Everyone’s Not for Polygamy” thread where this all originated – in it, we men were being chastised by our digital leader and others to tiptoe around a polygamy-decrying woman who was predominantly pretending she wanted some counseling so that pretend counselors could provide it for her, demanding that we all ooze with compassion for her horrible plight but take it on the chin as she made repeated swipes at the practitioners and supporters of polygamy. In my humble opinion, only two general strategies will be appropriate when we're confronted with another scenario just like that one (and, boy, such situations are not only rampant in our general culture but pollute even our Biblical Families milieu): strongly advise the fool husband to be patient and actually demonstrate that he's a 100% kind of leader in his family before expecting to add another woman to his leadership deficiencies (if he can be found, and if he can't be found doesn't that tell us something significant about whether we should be taking everything from the woman at face value?); and strongly advise the wife to stop bitching about how bad she supposedly has it but instead simply return to her husband with a commitment to honoring the decision she made years earlier to follow his lead no matter where it led her other than abuse or addiction, considering it part of her duties to inspire her husband to become a 100% leader. Tell them both: either [a] do (as opposed to say) something about this mess, or come to us when both of you are entirely ready to accept the kind of genuinely wise counsel @cnystrom had so recently provided in the thread that spawned this. Until that happens, all that gets accomplished is yet another demonstration that cnystrom's heroic and highly-insightful efforts were just another waste of time. The rare exceptions will only prove the rule. When a person seeks assistance from others, that person bears some responsibility for treating those others with an extra measure of respect, not the other way around. This counseling of anti-polygamy agitators is not planting seeds; it's just throwing them on pavement soaked in Roundup.

As a trained psychotherapist, I fully recognize that creating rapport, treating others with kid gloves and coddling them while they take their jolly time identifying their true concerns can sometimes lead to growth and development, but it has a greater likelihood of leading to entrenched stuckness and a sense of entitlement. Research has demonstrated that it’s much more effective to, in relatively short order, start prescribing behavioral change with expectations that the change occur or the counseling be terminated – because, if you’re not going to do something about it, what’s the point in talking about it? What I was observing in the “Everyone’s Not for Polygamy” discussion was some kind of rescue operation for a person who had no intention of being rescued. It wouldn’t have gone down the way it did had the person who initiated it been a man, and I believe treating women as helpless victims is a profound demonstration of disrespect – even when they beg for it. My only sin in that thread was impatience with the dilly-dallying, as if we should have all put on dresses and invited The Pretender to a tea party, so we could cry with her about what a meanie her husband supposedly was – and just because some of our wives tell us to put on the 'dresses' doesn't mean it's the appropriate 'fashion' statement. The evidence that those two (the IWantAnotherWife husband and the OverMyDeadBody wife) were off-track is that she was here whining to us. The evidence that we were off-track is that we were giving her an audience for it. We’re always going to be headed down a rabbit hole if get snared by attempting to prove that we’re not the straw-man meanies someone – especially someone who shows up asking for our help – accuses us of being. We’re not here to get approval from the world.

I'm not suggesting that patriarchy is a justification for shut-up-and-do-as-I-say – those who know me know I'm not – but I am saying that worrying about whether we're sufficiently appealing to divisive complainers also isn't patriarchy, headship, or whatever you want to call it. Only the most desperate-for-extra-poontang among us would strategically invite someone like that into their homes, so why are we pitching for such folks in our community's online home? Is that the kind of potential sister wife our current wives just can't wait to get in league with? As the husband-currently-only-of-one-wife, I’m no expert on the answer to that question, but nonetheless I doubt it. I also understand, as many have pointed out in various contexts, that Biblical Families is not just an organization for plural families but for all families living life according to Biblical principles. However, I think it’s disingenuous for us to put polygamy on the backburner; it is, after all, the inspiration for bringing all of us together, and the number of organizations devoted to encouraging family life according to Scripture are probably too numerous to number – but ones specifically devoted to providing a safe harbor for supporters of Biblical polygyny are precious indeed. Of course, the Benders are the originators and guiding lights of this organization, so what they say on the matter carries far more weight than any opinion I might have, but every organization needs some kind of glue to keep it cohesive, and what it seems to me like we all have in common is the concept of patriarchal polygamy.

I also kindly request, ZenEven, that you refrain from throwing that "unBiblical" bomb at me or at anyone else. I haven't seen Christ around here raising the dead from their graves or announcing that any one of us is now the Voice of God. I didn't like it when [name removed] got treated like he was some kind of Oracle, and nobody else here qualifies as one, either. We are commanded to lead our wives and children. We are not commanded to be The Supreme Interpreter to our fellow patriarchs or to the wives or children of our fellow patriarchs; we each have our own idiosyncratic takes on Scripture, and we are not required by our Father to bow to each other’s interpretations.

I love you, Jedi Zen Master of the Stormy Interstates, and I’m far from being a Torah Keeper, but don't expect me to entirely refrain from challenging your interpretation of Torah if you casually denounce as being "unBiblical" something I suggest about Torah to a woman pretending to be interested in receiving counseling (fooling herself still qualifies as pretending), a woman who was already hinting not only at withholding her sexual favors from her husband but at divorce as well. My purpose in asserting that she freely consider withholding her affection was to get her to contemplate what life would be like for her if she does such a thing, especially if hubby has wifey-poo #2 to engage with.

My final assertion is this: I have minimal doubt that what ensued in the pants-on-fire panic after our posts was not so much a standard-fare pious theological correction done out of concern for the pretending woman or her impatient husband but perhaps more likely a simple matter of men wanting to make sure that the supposed 'heresy' of wives not owing sex to their husbands didn't take up root among their womenfolk.

As supporters of Biblical polygamy, we risk incongruous inconsistency and shooting ourselves in the foot if we fail to recognize that the majority of the support for the legitimacy of polygamy arises from pre-New-Testament Scripture that generally did not need to be addressed in the New Testament writings because nothing had changed. If we promote the idea that our wives owe us sexual ‘duties,’ we can only do so by referencing (out of context) a scripture (I Cor. 7:3-5) that constituted instructions to monogamist Greeks who were embroiled in controversies in which some folks were trying to stop other folks from getting married at all. Paul recognized that, in the context of monogamy, the remaining path for successful marriages was for both partners to be devoted to each other’s sexual fulfillment – but if, as a man, one insists on conjugal duties from one’s wife, one is also severing himself from the holistic structure of marriage-and-family guidelines that support having more than one wife. One has to decide which lake one is going to swim in.

Do not mistake any of this as evidence that I do not still love you as a true brother as much as I have ever since Palatka. Just iron sharpening iron. I pray you will continue to confront me when you see a legitimate need to do so.

Clearly, @ZenEven’s short post touched a nerve in me.

@Well loved wife recently (well, since I boot-scooted) began a tremendous thread for which she deserves an award for how eloquently she described the manner in which she made peace with her estimable husband’s embrace of and desire for practicing Biblical polygyny: among other attitudinal shifts, she demanded of herself that she ground herself in her original commitment to follow that man wherever he might lead. Returning to renewal of foundational commitments is always a strong place to put one’s feet, but it isn’t just a matter for wives. Following through on one’s commitment to the marriage no matter how accurate one’s pre-marital assessment was of whether the other would turn out to be the perfect mate works both ways. Just as we would generally encourage wives to remain true to their promises to follow their husbands’ leads, we husbands need to remember that we promised to lead, protect and provide no matter what the circumstances. We did not get a guarantee of certain levels of sexual satisfaction in exchange. Only those who permanently and mutually locked themselves into a monogamy-only structure could play that card. If we believe in plural families as an option, men, I would assert that, if we aren’t sexually satisfied, the onus is on us to expand our families – or perhaps to be more sexually inspiring.

I might alternatively propose that I Corinthians 7 is promoting poly and Paul would have been talking equally to those who forbid married men to marry.

1 Cor. 7:1-9 is a response by Paul to those who asked about celibacy in the context of the sexual misconduct occurring in the Corinthian assembly (cf. v:1-2). The issue of monogamy verses polygyny is not part of the discussion. If we keep that in front of the monogamist-only adherents, we'll avoid being distracted by it.

1 Cor. 7:1-9 is a response by Paul to those who asked about celibacy in the context of the sexual misconduct occurring in the Corinthian assembly (cf. v:1-2). The issue of monogamy verses polygyny is not part of the discussion. If we keep that in front of the monogamist-only adherents, we'll avoid being distracted by it.
But it covers bot options right?

I'd just refer both of you to Luck's book. There and elsewhere the history is brought in and emphasized that Paul was dealing with a situation within a monogamy-only culture in which those who were being told they shouldn't get married (mainly because at that point in time Christ-followers were particularly convinced that the world might be coming to an end rather soon) were struggling with having to refrain from sexual congress -- and when failing to handle that frustration properly were seeking completely inappropriate outlets like having sex with cult prostitutes who demanded pledged fealty to their pagan gods. The point of what I wrote wasn't to address the entire situation, though; it was to address the fact that his audience was already predisposed to rejecting polygamy, much like ours is today, only not cemented in by so many centuries of indoctrination nor glued together with as much religious propaganda.

I’m still assimilating the post, so I’m not sure yet that I’m gonna have a lot to add, but I will point out that the marital duties of the husband (as a right) could be suspended if the wife was in a “put away” status. Example, Davids concubines as well as Judah and Tamar.

If it was a justifiable status, (for cause), then the suspended wife had an obligation to repent and be restored to her husband. A good example of this process is Ezekiel 16.

A wife put away without cause, had Exodus 21:10 as a safeguard, should she choose to use it.

To my knowledge, you are correct that Torah does not specify that a wife has a duty to supply her husband with sex. I could very well be wrong in that, but I cant think of any ATM.

In contrast, there are Jewish documents from early AD that would indicate that those cultural norms specify that the wife was expected to be available for due benevolence, and an unjustifiable extended lapse would be brought before the assembly. After a certain amount of time, her continued abstinence would result in a weekly reduction of her ketubah paid upon divorce. Essentially meaning that if she continued, at some point, her husband could give her a writing of divorce and it wouldn't cost him one zus.

But it covers bot options right?
Yes indeedy, because both options are a union; a man having his own wife and a woman her own husband. We avoid sexual misconduct by having sex with our own spouse. King David would easily have avoided sexual misconduct if he had spent the night(s) in wild passion with one (or more) of his many wives and concubines - and even had more, if he just asked.

Paul's admonition was almost a total cave-in to the monogamy-only cultural mindset, which occurred because Paul had much bigger fish to fry at that moment

Sounds like more of the usual trying to use the cultural context to eliminate the clear command. But Paul didn't base his command on culture but on principle truth (1 Cor 7:4). My approach to the scriptures is to do what they say. I don't care for long winded explainers for why the text doesn't mean what it says it means.

To my knowledge, you are correct that Torah does not specify that a wife has a duty to supply her husband with sex. I could very well be wrong in that, but I cant think of any ATM.

In contrast, there are Jewish documents from early AD that would indicate that those cultural norms specify that the wife was expected to be available for due benevolence, and an unjustifiable extended lapse would be brought before the assembly. After a certain amount of time, her continued abstinence would result in a weekly reduction of her ketubah paid upon divorce. Essentially meaning that if she continued, at some point, her husband could give her a writing of divorce and it wouldn't cost him one zus.

The conjugal rights of the wife are only mentioned one time in the OT, and in the context of slave-wives. So it's not like the OT is all encompassing on this topic. I tend to suspect that, much like in WesternCiv until recently, sex was seen as part and parcel to marriage. He is her baal; she's bound to obey him in all matters (and it goes without saying that that includes sex). It's only in the reverse that the wife needs the protection of an injunction that he grant her her conjugal rights.

There is a parallel to this in the matter of submission. The NT addresses wifely submission 3 or 4 different times; yet I can't recall that being brought up at all in the OT. A look at my bible resource didn't pull up any OT cross references, except for in the garden, "he shall rule over thee". That's all encompassing, esp. since sex is part and parcel to marriage.

even had more, if he just asked.

So if I don't have a right to sex with my wife and I'm not getting enough, does that mean God is bound to provide more wives a la David?

So if I don't have a right to sex with my wife and I'm not getting enough, does that mean God is bound to provide more wives a la David?
Please excuse my lack but I don't understand. A husband and wife have a right to have sex with one another, so what are you asking? If you aren't getting enough, don't commit adultery like David did. God isn't bound to give anyone anything, only what He wills to give according to His grace. Cheers

Please excuse my lack but I don't understand. A husband and wife have a right to have sex with one another, so what are you asking? If you aren't getting enough, don't commit adultery like David did. God isn't bound to give anyone anything, only what He wills to give according to His grace. Cheers

Sorry I think I mixed up what you were saying and Keith is saying in my head. His contention is wives do not owe their husbands sex (but you seem to disagree with that). You pointed out the solution to avoiding sexual immorality is having sex with a wife and if that is not enough ask God for another. Hence my question. But I see now you say God doesn't have to answer that request, even though He told David He would have.

I don't feel like it would be too simple to say that if I have authority over my wife's body, that means I can have sex with her if I want, and vise-versa.

I likewise am not a torah keeper, but I know no law that permits a woman to deny her husband sex. If I observed torah tomorrow and my wife refused me on these grounds, I'd ask her what Moses said that contradicted Paul in this matter.

I'm trying to digest what you are saying here too @Keith Martin, and the best summary I can come up with is something like:

- The husband is the true patriarchal head of his wife and is completely in charge and can require her to do anything
- Except have sex with him
- And she can require him to have sex with her whenever she wants
- So he's the head in every matter of life, except the bedroom, where she's in charge

I'm assuming I misunderstand you because that sounds rather convoluted. Can you summarise it yourself please?

There's also the possibility that your most important point is something else and we're getting sidetracked by the most sexual-sounding part of the argument.

Thanks for making me laugh, @rockfox!

As for getting sidetracked, you're not getting as sidetracked as during the August 2019 thread that inspired this OP. And, just to clarify, I believe we got sidetracked back then when the conclusion was made that my addressing that thread's original poster's assertion that she was contemplating cutting off her husband was sidetracking. She threatened it, and all I did was affirm that she had a right to do that and encourage her to contemplate what the consequences of that would be for her.

So now I guess I'll encourage some of you to contemplate what the consequences would be for attempting to enforce what you want to believe about sexual 'authority.' Please forgive my impatience in this particular response, but, while arguing can be fun, I find it tedious when it's a waste of time -- which I fear the time I take up on this will be.

1. Please refer back to my original posting(s) above. If it's too much to read, then I didn't write it for you. If you've read it, then find the part where I mention that the scholarship behind this is from Divorce and Remarriage, the William Luck book that is on the Biblical-Families Recommended Reading List. Find the book. Read it for yourself. Answer your own questions. Because I have zero desire to argue about the conclusions in it -- or to be the one to do the work of going back to the book and reinforming myself of the exact information so I can come back here and inform you about it so you can then come up with some other reason to reject it.

- The husband is the true patriarchal head of his wife and is completely in charge and can require her to do anything
- Except have sex with him
- And she can require him to have sex with her whenever she wants
- So he's the head in every matter of life, except the bedroom, where she's in charge

2. Logic requires premises that can either be proven on their own or that engender universal agreement even if they can't be proven. If, @FollowingHim, you are asserting that I'm making that 4-bullet-point argument in your message above, you are mistaken, because what you've done is combine words I've used with your definitions of them instead of definitions I would propose or agree with. For example, being "the true patriarchal head of" one's wife does not mean that one is completely in charge of her and can require her to do anything. Some people may believe that, but one would never get anything close to universal agreement for that point of view, even among Biblical Families members. (Furthermore, I pity the sex lives of men who have this attitude, other than those married to nymphomaniacal masochistic borderlines.) If, on the other hand, you are asserting that those bullet points make any sense as a whole, all I can say is that the whole thing is illogical, because the first and third premises are baseless, and therefore the conclusion is invalid.

I don't feel like it would be too simple to say that if I have authority over my wife's body, that means I can have sex with her if I want, and vise-versa.

I likewise am not a torah keeper, but I know no law that permits a woman to deny her husband sex. If I observed torah tomorrow and my wife refused me on these grounds, I'd ask her what Moses said that contradicted Paul in this matter.

3. Again, it's in the book. However, I will say this: I am a profound opponent of feminism. That wasn't always true but has been for decades. One of the things that the postmodern feminists assert that I always used to think was a straw man argument was that they own their own bodies and no man has a right to try to control their bodies. I used to think that there weren't enough men in advanced civilization who thought their wives were chattel to shake a stick at, but some of you around here are beginning to make me question my assumption. Are you kidding me? "I know no law that permits a woman to deny her husband sex?" Really? Have you been severed from the outside world since the 19th century? No law? Have you heard the term, 'rape?' And even if you're only referring to the Mosaic Law, I think you're combining blinders-on wishful thinking and denial of the real world in which we all live to convince yourself that your wife doesn't have the right and power to deny you sex. Furthermore, I don't even know why one would want one's wife to feel like it was her duty (any more than, despite it being your responsibility, she would want her husband to perform like a trained seal no matter the circumstances). Someone who wants that doesn't want a wife; he wants a slave.

4. We're blurring distinctions here. Before becoming rock-solid certain when it comes to something as profound as believing that one has the right to force one's wife to have sex, I would suggest reading at least ten Bible translations to get a much better sense of where the original manuscripts were coming from. It is way too easy to read into something what one wants to hear, especially when one is using a translation that may be using words and phrasings to intend entirely different meanings as compared to how we use those words and phrases in the present. Having 'authority' over each other's bodies means that you belong to each other, that it is right and good that you would have intimate fun with each other. Certainly it means that you can have sex with each other if you want, but having authority over your wife doesn't mean she owes it to you no matter how often you want it. And, again, if you doubt what I shared about the disparate imperatives, go back to Luck. It's all there. Arguing with me about it is the equivalent of arguing with a friend about what he heard a sports announcer say about some coach's game strategy for the Super Bowl. They just must want to argue; if they really wanted to know what the strategy was, they'd either ask the coach or at least go back to watch the sports announcer on their DVR.

At this point, I don't know if y'all are getting sidetracked or if it's just a matter of wanting to make sure that the supposed 'heresy' of wives not owing sex to their husbands doesn't take up root among your womenfolk. At least one of my points in the OP is that anyone who believes Scripture is telling them they can require sexual services any time they want them from their wives is very mistaken. Another point is that, by falling back on I Corinthians 7 to justify sex-on-demand, one is inadvertently undercutting support for polygamy. If that mutual authority is as all-encompassing as you want it to be, first of all it's then a matter of mental gymnastics to reach on back to the O.T. to justify not only polygamy but being the Lord and Master; one should also consider this: if your wife has authority over your body and you have authority over her body, and you want to believe that that means you can do anything you want with her body whenever you want to, you're forgetting that the I Cor. 7 imperative is mutual, so what's good for the goose is good for the gander, and she would get to require your services any time she wanted them, which would give her even more power over you sexually than you could ever imagine having over her (please don't tell me you need for me to explain the mechanics of that). In addition, it would give her the power to effectively prevent you from being a polygamist, because she could just say, "Any time you think you might want to have sexual intercourse with another woman I expect you to instead have sexual intercourse with me."

Of course, being the pious men we all are at Biblical Families, we would still take on any additional wives God just happened to drop in our lives, even though our first wife would be able to prevent us from ever having sex with them. Yeah, right. Sure we would!

I'm beginning to become irrational, but I figure, why not? Why not join in the irrationality?

This is angels dancing on the head of a pin territory. Women who are looking for patriarchs are not looking for dictators. They're not empty-headed loons looking for someone who will direct their every move. They're looking for a leader who will be a lover, a lover who will be a leader. You may get your women to knuckle under to that kind of disrespectful 'submission,' but you will never actually be mimicking the way Christ loves His Body by doing so, even if you fool yourself into thinking you are.

Wake up. You're drooling on your pillow.

@Keith Martin: I'm just trying to understand accurately what you're saying, so I can ensure I consider it accurately and can respond to it accurately (whether agreeing or disagreeing or otherwise). Still figuring that out, as my first attempt at summarising it was clearly incorrect.

Second try: Are you stating
1) A wife can require her husband to have sex with her (not require him NOT to have sex with someone else of course, but can require him to have sex with her if he's not otherwise occupied). She does not have the right to rape him of course, but can "require" sex in the sense of "make a strong request that he is expected to fulfil the majority of the time unless he has a very good reason not to".
2) But a husband cannot require his wife to have sex with him in the same way, but must live with whatever quantity of sex she chooses to have.

I am not asserting this is your view. I am asking whether this is your view - if I still misunderstand please clarify.

Your statements on rape are a straw-man argument that mischaracterises the opposing view as evil. I am not assuming anyone is saying a husband can rape their wife, just as I am not assuming that you are saying a wife can rape her husband. I'm sure we all agree that would be wrong from either party.

Please forgive me for not being clear in my earlier post. I was responding to the statements made by [I]another member[/I] asserting that a wife doesn't have a right to deny sex to her husband. If you don't believe that, I certainly wasn't laying that on your doorstep. I then went on to respond more broadly to the men who have asserted here and elsewhere on other forum threads that husbands may require their wives to have sex, because wives are required to be obedient. I'm glad you don't believe that "The husband is the true patriarchal head of his wife and is completely in charge and can require her to do anything."

[QUOTE="FollowingHim, post: 202248, member: 5"][USER=2108]Second try: Are you stating
1) A wife can require her husband to have sex with her (not require him NOT to have sex with someone else of course, but can require him to have sex with her if he's not otherwise occupied). She does not have the right to rape him of course, but can "require" sex in the sense of "make a strong request that he is expected to fulfil the majority of the time unless he has a very good reason not to".
2) But a husband cannot require his wife to have sex with him in the same way, but must live with whatever quantity of sex she chooses to have.

I am not asserting this is your view. I am asking whether this is your view - if I still misunderstand please clarify.
[/QUOTE]

The way you wrote #1 and #2 this time sounds pretty close to what Luck asserted was the historical Jewish viewpoint according to the Law.

Personally, I believe in due benevolence as a general principle, but at the same time I do not believe that either party has the right to expect sex on demand. I was passing along Luck's scholarship and conclusions, and I believe he makes a very solid argument. Thus, I think it's reasonable to believe based on Scripture that, according to The Law, wives do not have conjugal responsibilities to fulfill their husband's sexual desires (beyond what I think, if I remember correctly, Luck mentions as a general expectation that she engage sexually at least enough to produce an heir) but that husbands [I]do[/I] have such conjugal responsibilities. Having conjugal duties does mean one is responsible for the general sexual satisfaction of one's partner, which would mean that one should provide sex about as often as the partner wants it, but on the other hand it would [I]never[/I] mean that one was owed sex on demand, whenever, wherever. That, though, is only viable within the context of husbands having the freedom to take on another wife. Correspondingly, wives have the right to expect to get all their sexual satisfaction from their husbands, because they're only permitted to have one husband (at a time, at least).

As soon as one brings in I Corinthians 7: 3-5, though, the monogamy-only imperative goes hand-in-glove with that. If, as a husband, one expects one's wife to get engaged any time one gets the urge, one is accepting an imperative whose context is an understanding that, if one isn't taken care of, one is going to be susceptible to behaving foolishly, thereby necessitating a rule within which each person owes the other person being taken care of, because each is somewhat responsible for making sure the other one doesn't go do something stupid like have an affair or seek the services of a cult prostitute, as humans are prone to doing when they aren't getting laid enough. What I read in [U]Divorce and Remarriage[/U] resonated entirely with what I'd read in my research a decade earlier into the history of how the Greeks plotted out incremental implementation of monogamy-only for the purpose of shifting alliances from family to government. The proponents of the city-state concept wanted families broken down into as small of units as possible, because that would make people easier to manipulate.

My point in that regard in the original posting above was to encourage recognition of the possible snare of incongruently promoting Biblical polygamy from an Old Testament justification while promoting wifely sexual duties from a New Testament justification that, according to Luck and his research, was created as a solution to a problem inherent to the Corinthians being, among other things, adherents of monogamy-only.
[/user]

but having authority over your wife doesn't mean she owes it to you no matter how often you want it.

Good night! I don't have to read Luck's book or 10 versions of the bible to do a simple word study on "Authority" and "Due" know that you're making a weird mistake for reasons that apparently you'd have to read William Luck's book to make.

"Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband."
"But the same servant went out, and found one of his fellowservants, which owed him an hundred pence: and he laid hands on him, and took him by the throat, saying, Pay me that thou owest."
(Same word, Opheilo)

"The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does; and likewise also the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does."
"For I am a man under authority, having soldiers under me: and I say to this man, Go, and he goeth; and to another, Come, and he cometh; and to my servant, Do this, and he doeth it."

What's owed is owed, and authority is authority.

What happens to me when I get good and weird, is I get @Asforme&myhouse chasing me around reminding me to look at the context of the actual verse to ground my thinking. The context of "Due benevolence" and "Authority over bodies" is to "Avoid Fornication" with a follow up instruction to not deprive each other, except by mutual consent. The only way to NOT have sex is if you BOTH don't want to have sex temporarily, for the purpose of prayer.

Furthermore, I don't even know why one would want one's wife to feel like it was her duty (any more than, despite it being your responsibility, she would want her husband to perform like a trained seal no matter the circumstances). Someone who wants that doesn't want a wife; he wants a slave.

It's less a matter of what I want and more a matter of what I believe a plain reading of scripture requires, and have come to agree with it. Which I sum up in a word: Repentance.

Another point is that, by falling back on I Corinthians 7 to justify sex-on-demand, one is inadvertently undercutting support for polygamy. If that mutual authority is as all-encompassing as you want it to be, first of all it's then a matter of mental gymnastics to reach on back to the O.T. to justify not only polygamy but being the Lord and Master; one should also consider this: if your wife has authority over your body and you have authority over her body, and you want to believe that that means you can do anything you want with her body whenever you want to, you're forgetting that the I Cor. 7 imperative is mutual, so what's good for the goose is good for the gander, and she would get to require your services any time she wanted them, which would give her even more power over you sexually than you could ever imagine having over her (please don't tell me you need for me to explain the mechanics of that). In addition, it would give her the power to effectively prevent you from being apolygamist, because she could just say, "Any time you think you might want to have sexual intercourse with another woman I expect you to instead have sexual intercourse with me."

This is a very well explained warning. This is a sword that cuts both ways.

Thanks for clarifying @Keith Martin. On consideration of that, I'm still with @Slumberfreeze on the issue. I do intend to re-read Dr Luck's book soon, as it will inform something else I'm working on, but don't have time for it today. In the meantime I'll just stick to scripture.

The only verse that is directly relevant in your original post is Exodus 21:10, which guarantees sex to a first wife even if a man takes a second. The OT doesn't say anything more than that, technically it doesn't even guarantee sex to a monogamous wife or a second wife. The point is to provide protection for an older first wife when a man has just married a young hottie. She is specifically given this protection because she needs it in that unique situation. Otherwise, it's just assumed that sex will happen in marriage. I don't see anything in the OT to give any universal right of sex to all wives - or husbands, both parties have nothing said about them, and are therefore treated (or ignored) "equally".

In the NT, Paul's instructions clarify the assumption that sex will happpen in marriage by requiring both parties to satisfy the other. Again, both parties are treated equally.

I think that on the face of it, the proposition Luck makes and that you have quoted sounds attractive, because it sounds like a pro-polygamy argument. A lot of interesting stuff can be written on it - but this is speculative reasoning based on a shaky foundation. We must be careful not to just accept everything that sounds supportive of polygamy because it bolsters our presupppositions. On consideration, I believe this is at best a very weak argument, more likely erroneous. And it's completely unnecessary, because there is plenty of scripture that actually addresses polygamy directly.

It reminds me of a previous discussion where there was a possible hint of polygamy in an ancient Christian letter. A number of people got all excited about it at first as evidence for polygamy in the early church, but on close examination it turned out that it was purely a misunderstanding and no polygamy was indicated at all.

Back