• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

I need some godly counsel on my marriage

InTheQuestion

Hi, this is my first time posting... I found this website several years ago, and it challenged my beliefs on plural marriage. In light of the arguments presented, my wife and I discussed the Scriptural teachings on marriage, and we both agreed that plural marriage is indeed Scriptural, though neither of us had any real practical desire to pursue it. However, I have still lurked, reading things on this site off and on. The people here often have a unique take on things, and I have been consistently impressed with the character and godly counsel of the people who frequent these forums.

Well, over the past year and a half, my wife and I have had some major problems. Or more accurately, I would say we've had problems from the start, but the events of the past year and a half have forced them to the surface, and we can no longer ignore them. We have sought counsel from our pastor and family, and we have gone to marriage counseling, but so far nothing has really helped. I don't know why I didn't think of it before now, but it occurred to me that this would be an excellent place to seek counsel. So I offer our story for anyone who may be able to help... I apologize in advance for the lengthiness of it.

THE BACKSTORY:
My wife and I have been married for 9 years. We are both in our early 30s, and we have a son in kindergarten. We get along really well, but we have never really developed much chemistry or romantic connection in our relationship. The way we went about getting married set the stage for this.

As a child, my father was rather controlling of my relationships (and not in a nurturing way), and I was essentially chastised for even expressing feelings for a girl. To avoid problems at home, I never dated through high school. I am a romantic at heart, and that was very difficult for me. I pretty much had to keep all romantic feelings a secret, and I was truly afraid what my father might do if he found out I was interested in a girl. As I think back on it, as emotionally difficult as it was, not dating was still probably my best option, given the circumstances. Out of high school, I joined the military and worked there for four years. It was a very male-heavy environment, and most of the women were married, so it was difficult to find a potential mate. It didn't help that I felt very clueless of the whole process since I had no experience (or guidance) in high school. I finally started talking with girls online. Over the course of time, I ended up dating two different girls (at different times). My father was very unsupportive of these relationships, and it was very frustrating. The girls were both Christians, and they were generally nice people. But I was living halfway across the country, and I realized that he might feel differently if he could actually meet these girls.

After dating the second girl, I came across Joshua Harris' book I Kissed Dating Goodbye, and I also read his follow-up book Boy Meets Girl. If you aren't familiar with them, they basically try to avoid the pitfalls of serial dating. In other words: Don't consider anyone as a potential partner (dating or otherwise) until you are ready to get married. Don't have any physical intimacy until you get married. And the big one--Don't have any emotional intimacy (i.e. don't let yourself fall in love) until you are engaged. The idea was that emotions are rather untrustworthy, so you needed to guard your heart from falling in love until you knew that you were compatible with your potential mate. Once you decided that a marriage would work well between the two of you, based purely on practical reasons, then you were to get engaged. If possible, you should have your parents oversee the whole process, and then you would have the family blessing, and it would really help your family relations all around. If you followed these "wise" teachings, you would then be free to give your heart completely to that person without any previous baggage. Supposedly this was all backed by Scripture. (More on this below.)

Well, I was discharged from the military, and I ended up going to Bible college to study counseling (I ultimately followed a different field though). I ended up meeting my wife online. She had also read the courtship books, and we followed their advice to the T. We agreed that we could hold hands during the courtship process, but that was the extent of our physical intimacy. (Even after we were engaged, we didn't kiss until three weeks before our wedding.) We guarded the other's emotional intimacy and deliberately avoided topics that would create "in love" feelings, but we only talked about things to see if we would be compatible as spouses. I sought my dad's involvement, though he pretty well declined. He wasn't completely against this relationship, so that was at least some level of progress. My wife's parents had recently gone through a divorce, and they weren't all that supportive either (though her mother was the most supportive of anyone). We asked an older couple in my wife's church to help us in overseeing the process. They were very gracious to do so, though I think they feared butting in too much, so they didn't really do a whole lot. That basically put it on me to be the overseer of the whole courtship process. I felt a strong burden to take extra care toward maintaining physical and emotional purity. I made a concerted effort not to lust after or fall in love with my wife, trusting Joshua Harris' advice that emotional feelings and physical arousal would fall into place if you followed what was (supposedly) the Biblical model for courtship.

(I realize this probably sounds overly critical toward my dad. Yes, he really dropped the ball on his fatherly responsibilities with regard to his guidance and support in relationships, but he is a good man in many other ways. I have since realized that it's important to HONOR your father and seek his BLESSING, but that's very different from seeking his APPROVAL. Scripture is very clear that we should not seek approval from men, but only from God.)

THE CURRENT SITUATION:
Well, as "wise" as the courtship advice may have sounded at the time, I have since gone back and looked at the Scriptural proof text verses for this philosophy, and I have found them to be interpreted poorly. I completely agree that you need to be careful about letting your emotions carry you away, and physical intimacy should be approached cautiously, maintaining clear boundaries with anyone who isn't yet your spouse. However, the main problem with these teachings is that if you spend your entire pre-engagement maintaining rather distant and sterile feelings toward your potential spouse, what makes you think warm and intimate feelings will develop? In fact, if you set that as your pattern for relating to one another, it's very difficult to break that pattern. I now see that you need to look at both compatibility and chemistry (not sexual, but relational). The courtship books essentially "promised" that the "in love" feelings would naturally flow from following their advice. I now realize that no one can promise that, and it's a foolish gamble if it's important to you to be in love with your spouse.

We have been married nine years now, and I have truly tried to make it work. I have tried developing the "in love" feelings, but they have never come. Until a year and a half ago, I had pretty well stuffed my desires for a romantic relationship. I decided that those feelings are not necessary for a great marriage. You can choose to love (action) even if you don't feel "in love" (emotion). This mindset generally helped to create a peaceful marriage, and from all appearances, we seemed like a happy couple. My wife and I are quite "compatible," and we have had a peaceful marriage with few disagreements, but we have little chemistry. Unfortunately, over the past couple of years I have come to know a younger woman I work with who is basically everything I was looking for, personality-wise. We just really connect on an intuitive level. She daily reminds me of what I have always wanted in a partner. We go to church with her and her family, and with my job it's difficult not to interact with her on a pretty regular basis. It constantly reminds me that I have never really felt "in love" with my wife, and it has been extremely difficult not to fall in love with this girl.

My wife and I have always been very open with our feelings, and I have let her know about all of this. She has been very supportive through the process, and she actually had a somewhat similar incident with a co-worker a couple of years ago. (Her work schedule changed, and then we moved, so it pretty well took care of itself.)

I should mention that I have a rather unusual personality style. In my college counseling classes, we learned of the Merrill & Reed personality styles--Driver, Analytical, Expressive, and Amiable. Through all of this, I've realized that, for me, a "10" is an Amiable-Analytical-Expressive. This is a fairly unusual combination. I'm pretty sure this fit my best friend in high school, and up until now I had only met one other person like this. My personality style combination is Expressive-Amiable-Analytical. In fact, my high school guidance counselor had everyone take a career assessment test, and she told me that she'd never seen my personality style before; there were only two jobs in her giant book of career suggestions that fit my personality type. My wife, incidentally, is an Analytical-Amiable with a small amount of Driver, and Expressive is very low on her list.

Whether or not you're familiar with this personality model, it's not all that important. The key is that certain personality traits really resonate with me, and they are fairly difficult to come by all in one package. It's the rare individual I really strongly click with on all levels. Meeting this younger woman has made me realize that such individuals do exist though, however rare they may be. Out of love for my wife, I am intentionally avoiding connecting with this woman to a great degree, but I honestly feel like I'm killing myself in the process. I've struggled with a lack of connection with my wife throughout our marriage, but I've been pretty successful at stuffing those feelings. This situation forces those feelings into the light, and I can't ignore them. It's pretty well impossible for me to change the work situation in the forseeable future, so I can't just move away from it--and even if I did, I know deep down I know that wouldn't solve anything. The same situation would only come up again some day.

THE MORAL DIFFICULTY:
On the one hand, I want to be faithful to our marriage vows. Even if my wife and I married under less-than-wise counsel, we still have a marriage covenant before God. On the other hand, I feel like I'm dying inside. We have gone to counselors and tried all sorts of things to build chemistry/connection, but we just don't click very well on that level. I would say that we are good friends, but there's very little we enjoy doing together. We have tried going on dates and spending more time with each other, but ultimately it's just kind of frustrating. She is happy to just support each other in our various endeavors (we have two very different career fields), and she says she is okay if that chemistry isn't there. She enjoys our friendship to whatever level it can be.

I should add that my wife "cheated" (our little joke) during the courtship process and fell in love with me. Because I took the burden to protect our emotional purity so strongly, she felt freer to experience her emotions. So she doesn't feel as strongly as I do about our difficulties in connecting. In fact, she does feel more connected than I do. In many ways, I feel like a selfish jerk, but I just don't know how to feel any differently. If I could turn off my emotions, I happily would--though I don't know that would help anything very much. With this other woman, I realize there is always "the grass is greener" syndrome, and even if that's the case here, I still struggle with my emotional connection with my wife. It has made me pretty depressed, and I really struggle with the idea that I may have "settled" for a compatible spouse, but one with whom I have little chemistry. We have tried again and again to build chemistry, but it has generally fallen flat. We just don't interact in a way that lights each other's fire. I feel like we both survive, but we never thrive.

Like I said, my wife and I are really good friends, and I appreciate so many things about her abilities and her character. I really respect how she has handled this and her willingness to talk it out. I don't want to just throw away our positive relationship, but I really yearn for a connected romantic relationship in a way that she really struggles to provide. And I struggle to provide much of what makes her tick as well. We have talked out every possible scenario. We have even discussed the idea of plural marriage, but she said she couldn't deal with the cultural struggles it would bring. I don't know that that is the solution, but I feel that it's at least worth taking the time to look at all options.

I have no desire to leave my wife. I would have a difficult time living with myself morally, and I would feel like I was turning away from my wife and God. Yet I feel like the current situation is going to destroy me psychologically in the long run. If I just push through the situation with little hope of it improving to a point that's truly satisfying for both my wife and myself, I also have a difficult time with myself morally. I feel like I am being disingenuous to myself, my wife, my son, and everyone I meet. I feel like I have no testimony in our marriage. How can I counsel people or offer them any hope with regard to marriage? What can I say? "We've never had chemistry and may never, but I just make the best of it in order to be faithful to my marriage vows"? Hardly a compelling testimony. And what hope can I give to anyone else in a similar situation?

I've really struggled with understanding God through all this. I know God uses our difficulties to teach us lessons, and I am trying to be as open as possible to learning the lesson here. It has been through many tears and struggles, and I feel I have certainly learned a lesson about seeking parental approval (as opposed to blessing) and the process of choosing a spouse, but I feel like I may have learned the lesson too late to have any practical application for it in my life.

Any thoughts, advice, and/or prayers would be much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

I certainly don't feel qualified to address all you have shared, and I am not sure I should address any of it. I am going to pray on it, and I may reply more later.

In the mean time, I will also be praying for you.

I am of a similar thought as aineo. I don't feel qualified to offer advice, but I don't want to leave you without counsel when it's what you've come seeking.

My wife and went through a very rough patch around about the 5 year point. Our relationship was similar to what you describe, we liked each other, but did not feel the romantic feelings and I did not believe that could really change. Actually, we share a number of similarities. I didn't date in High School, I joined the military. I met GloryGirl while home on leave and we did not start officially courting until well after I was 3k miles away from her, so the was not exactly a physical component to our relationship. We didn't have any qualms about disallowing romantic feelings or anything, but since we spent hours and hours talking, the relationship was able to develop without too much distraction. ;-) Still, while we were very compatible along many lines, our common interests were (and in many respects still are) lacking. I used to think that attraction had to be built on those common interests. I don't believe though that it is too late for you to "fall in love" with your wife, and don't think there is a good reason for divorce. I don't know what you've tried from a counseling and dating standpoint, but I can tell you some things that helped with my wife and I. A big one was actually praying together. It helps us stay on the same page and gives us insight into what is important to each other on a daily basis. Another thing was to fall in love with the idea of being in love with my wife. It seemed like an easy thought to start from scratch, find someone new, and try again. But really, that is "grass is greener" thinking. You've no guarantee that this other woman would end up with you and you'd be happily ever after. And if she's so great, would she really want a guy who basically left his wife for her?

Listen, I'm not saying that redirecting those romantic feelings from this new woman to your wife is an easy thing, or without it's pain. Especially if you've already let yourself become emotionally wrapped up in the new woman. I am saying though that you'll not find scriptural support for leaving your wife to be with her. Now, as far as PM goes, well, I am of the mind that it should not be considered without the support of your current wife, but there are those who would likely disagree with me there, and there are scriptures to back what they are saying as well. I'm just of the mind that pursuing PM without your wife on board would be asking for disaster and heartbreak all around.

So, you've said you've told your wife about this stuff, and she had a similar situation etc, but what are her actual feelings on the issue? It sounds like she doesn't want to lose you, but I can't tell how strong that notion is.

[EDIT: As I mentioned in my first post, I had sought counsel from various sources, and I decided to ask the people on this forum. To introduce the situation, I used something I wrote a few months ago (around the end of August) to a trusted Christian friend who I've known for many years. He is now a preacher. The situation has changed somewhat since I wrote that letter, and things have actually improved a bit. However, I felt the general scenario was still important, so I kept it the same as what I wrote to my friend, rather than adding a lot of extra details.

I wrote the following response rather hastily, and I wrote it more from the mindset of what I would have written a few months ago. My friend didn't really know what to say at the time, so my original message essentially went unanswered. I was interested to see what others might say to my situation at the time. (Thank you to everyone who responded! Your advice was quite helpful!) Once again, I wrote this response rather quickly, and I didn't fully think it through. I should have taken the time to update the story or make it clear that this was my situation from a couple of months ago. I realize that probably makes a somewhat confusing read in my next post on this page (the 9th post in this thread), but hopefully my explanation in that thread will clear up everything. I apologize for not taking the time to update everything. Thank you again for your counsel though. You have all been most helpful.]

Thank you for the prayers and thoughts shared.

UntoldGlory said:
It seemed like an easy thought to start from scratch, find someone new, and try again. But really, that is "grass is greener" thinking. You've no guarantee that this other woman would end up with you and you'd be happily ever after. And if she's so great, would she really want a guy who basically left his wife for her?

Exactly. I have no desire to go that route.

UntoldGlory said:
Listen, I'm not saying that redirecting those romantic feelings from this new woman to your wife is an easy thing, or without it's pain. Especially if you've already let yourself become emotionally wrapped up in the new woman. I am saying though that you'll not find scriptural support for leaving your wife to be with her. Now, as far as PM goes, well, I am of the mind that it should not be considered without the support of your current wife, but there are those who would likely disagree with me there, and there are scriptures to back what they are saying as well. I'm just of the mind that pursuing PM without your wife on board would be asking for disaster and heartbreak all around.

I have really tried to avoid being emotionally wrapped up. After I realized the chemistry that was there, I have intentionally limited conversations to the bare minimum interactions necessary to do my job. However, I don't want to be a complete jerk about it, and I still have to interact a fair amount--or I see her interacting with others. It's a constant effort not to connect when we do so naturally. As my wife and I have talked about it, I don't really see this girl as being the issue. I see her as more of a symbol. Even if I move away from this current situation and never see her again, the problem still exists. And it could easily come up again if I meet someone else. I do believe God has allowed this situation to force the issue to light, and it's something that has to be dealt with in our marriage.

As for forcing PM, whether or not it is Scripturally okay, I would not want to force my wife into a situation she was uncomfortable with. I completely agree that heartbreak all around would be likely.

So, you've said you've told your wife about this stuff, and she had a similar situation etc, but what are her actual feelings on the issue? It sounds like she doesn't want to lose you, but I can't tell how strong that notion is.

It's very strong on her side. She's in it for the long haul. Once again, I greatly respect how she's handled all of this. I realize many women would not be so understanding and supportive. On that same note, I don't want to lose her. I just want to be able to connect with a human being in a "romantic resonating" way. Even in our sexual relationship, for most of our marriage it has been arousing, but not really connecting. I had wrongly assumed that sexual intercourse would automatically build connection once we got married (both of us were virgins on our wedding day), but I have realized there is a big difference between the act and the connection behind it. I have truly tried "falling in love with being in love." In fact, that's how I felt the first several years of our marriage. I expected that it would gradually happen. I never really lost hope until we recently started talking out what chemistry means to both of us.

I haven't gone into great detail on what I mean by "romantic resonating," but through talking this out, we've figured out exactly what it is that we both connect with--and most of those things are mutually exclusive. They are fairly detailed lists, and I won't wasted anyone's time posting them here; what they are isn't really the point anyway. Unfortunately, it's not just a matter of meeting halfway in the middle. Without a true reversal in one or both of our personalities, it looks very unlikely that we will ever feel truly connected in a resonating, satisfying way. I know God transforms our minds, and we are both praying together and looking to Him. However, the core personality--the "what makes you, you" stuff--is unlikely to change for either of us.

Through all of this, I feel like we both have a much clearer idea of what makes us compatible and what makes us experience chemistry with another person, but unfortunately what creates chemistry for one of us usually off-puts the other and vice versa. Essentially, we have been meeting in the middle for our whole marriage, and it's a rather uncomfortable compromise.

I'm reminded of the Lord's admonition to take up our cross daily. But I also remember Proverbs 13:12--"Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but desire fulfilled is a tree of life." For anyone reading, is this desire for "romantic resonance" something I should just let die? If I do, is there a way to keep going without feeling like I have a "sick heart"?

Once again, thank you for everyone who takes time to read this.

I went to the conference "I kissed Dating Goodby" 2 weeks before I met my husband. I had pretty much decided on courtship befor that and after it I was still pretty convinced. That being said, I was careful but also attracted to my husband at a certain point.... I tried not to feed those feelings too much until I was sure of him being the one but as he said "If you had showed no interest in me that way then I wouldn't have gone on with the relationship."
Why you might ask. His sister had followed these pure guidelines of only holding hands and never kissing until the wedding day. She thought it was amazing that he had been so pure before their marriage and was so impressed with him. On the honeymoon she was so excited and then disappointed when her husband wasn't into intimacy like she was. It was a struggle in their marriage for quite a while, and after having 3 children the last 2 twins he came out of the closet. So her advice to her brother was make sure that your future wife is interested and attracted ahead of time!
Thankfully I was...
Now I am a woman, and don't want to go into giving advice to a man, but the other thought that occurred to me in reading your posts is that there are many many marriages that have a chemistry but lack character. What would you rather? A marriage that is solid in which you can trust or a relationship that is rocky with chemistry? Not that it is always an either/or, but I would say it sounds like you have a great marriage...many people fall out of love or out of chemistry with their spouse at some point. My thought is that you perhaps you should focus on what is good about your marriage, what you are thankful for and pray to Yah that He would give you the emotions and connections that He wants you to have. I say this because I have seen Him give me emotions I didn't have naturally time and again. You are not without hope, at least from my experience. I will pray Yah blesses you both with all of marriages joys, and connection.

Firstly, good on you for sharing this, it takes a lot of courage to open up like that and few men would be willing to. Your wife is blessed to have such a dedicated husband. I've been taking my time to ponder and pray before responding, this is a tricky situation.

I agree with Elisheba - it sounds like you have a great marriage. You have a committed wife who is in love with you (based on your "cheated" joke!), you just struggle to feel that back to her. In large part I expect this is a psychological issue of your own unintentional creation through the way you trained yourself to repress your emotions pre-marriage. But also it will be partly that you have different personalities. But far better to have a wife who you can calmly and rationally interact with as a good friend, than one who's an emotional roller-coaster giving you an amazing time in the bedroom one evening and then throwing a frying pan at you the next! And most importantly, your wife is strongly dedicated to preserving your marriage.

Many men would be very jealous of you. Seriously.

You need to keep focused on the positives. Work out the positive aspects of your marriage, and enjoy them. Put more time into them. Can you study the scriptures together calmly and rationally? Throw yourself into it, and connect on that level. Can you enjoy your child together? Throw yourself into that. Don't worry about the things that don't work so well, build your relationship through the things that do. Be very clear what all the positives are about your marriage, and that will help your mood considerably I expect.

Feel free to look at this other woman as a potential second wife, but be careful HOW you look at her. Don't look at her as someone who could make up for the "failings" of your current marriage. You've got a great marriage that you can enjoy, you don't need anyone else to improve it. Rather, look at her as someone who you could have a different relationship with that may compliment your current marriage, adding different positives - but also adding other problems that you don't quite see yet! You might be attracted to her for an emotional connection, and then be attracted to your current wife for lack of emotional arguments! It might also be that the more you get to know this woman, the more you will appreciate your current wife.

Technically, scripturally, you don't need your first wife's approval to take a second wife, but I agree with UntoldGlory that doing it without her approval is a recipe for disaster. My suggested next steps would be (and please note that I still have only one wife myself so am advising from experience of monogamy and observation of polygamy):
- Deepen your relationship with your wife in any area that you do connect well on, and don't worry too much about the areas you don't (sounds like you've already tried that), focus on the positives.
- Start a list of everything that is great about your wife, and your marriage with her. Keep adding to it. See how long it gets.
- Strike up a family friendship with this other woman - start interacting with her as a family, both you and your wife, and just see how you all get on, keeping in close communication with your wife about your thoughts and listening to her concerns. You might find that you actually don't get on with her as well as you expected when you get to know her better, or she'd never contemplate plural marriage, so the problem will be solved and you can stop wondering. Or the opposite might happen...
- PRAY, both alone and with your wife, about what to do next. God will reveal His will in His timing.

---------------------------

On the courtship issue, I have heard plenty of times about this courtship advice being damaging for women who struggle to relax sexually with their husbands because they've had it drilled into them so strongly that sex is dirty and sinful, with long-term negative consequences for their marriages. This is the first time I've heard a similar story from a man - however I highly doubt you're the only one, you might just be one of a very few who have the guts to say so. We must be balanced, rational and scriptural in our advice to young people about dating, too often as Christians we take an overly cautious legalistic approach, adding to the Bible considerably, and then find later it has unintended consequences. This is the complete opposite to Christ's message - He preached freedom! He preached against legalism! And then Christians decide to add to the Bible to make a moral code that is far stricter than anything ever envisaged in the Old Testament law ("No sex before marriage - actually, don't even kiss - actually, don't even love each other"). Same goes for alcohol and all manner of issues. What does "for freedom Christ has set you free" even mean in the church today? This is why the world sees Christians as legalistic hypocrites and doesn't see any value in Christ. Ok, I'll stop ranting... :D

Courtship is a great idea. Nothing wrong with marrying without love, arranged marriages etc, they're entirely Biblical, and they do work. But there is no justification for shutting down feelings to try and achieve an unloving courtship. I know an Indian Hindu man who has an arranged marriage, he didn't love his wife when they married but does now. But the only reason he didn't love her was because he hardly knew her, they'd spent just enough time getting to know each other and having family check each other out to know they were a good match (his grandfather spent a lot of time selecting which women he should consider, while her uncle even rang his employer to investigate him!), then they married. They didn't spend a long courtship period getting to know each other but deliberately repressing their feelings so they didn't fall in love - they'd have been quite happy to fall in love, they just didn't have time. This has worked for him, and is a modern example of something pretty close to what we see in the Bible.

In scripture, Isaac married Rebecca in an arranged marriage, they had no time to fall in love, the decision was made before they'd even met. David married Abigail because she was a good woman, no mention of love, and certainly no courtship. In the deuterocanonical book of Tobit, Tobias and Sara marry within hours of meeting each other as an arranged marriage - again with no chance to fall in love. But on the other hand, Jacob had plenty of time to get to know Rachel - and fell deeply in love with her, never repressed that. Michal fell in love with David and married him, again that wasn't repressed. Why do we expect people to be dating / courting / engaged for years before marrying these days? Rather we should just encourage them to work it out quickly (not rushed though) and with good advice, then either marry or break up ASAP. I learnt a similar lesson to yourself about parental approval - I took over 18 months from starting dating to marrying my wife, because I was waiting for parental approval (which never came), and should have married her within 6 months as I already had the answer from God by then and knew I would get her father's permission by that point. Just pointlessly gave us an extra 12 months of frustrating temptation. Fortunately I didn't end up in your situation because although I also intended to wait until marriage before kissing she was just far too attractive to keep my lips off, so although I thought that sort of advice was good I didn't follow it. Was disappointed with myself at the time, but now I'm glad about it! :D

FollowingHim said:
- Strike up a family friendship with this other woman - start interacting with her as a family, both you and your wife, and just see how you all get on, keeping in close communication with your wife about your thoughts and listening to her concerns. You might find that you actually don't get on with her as well as you expected when you get to know her better, or she'd never contemplate plural marriage, so the problem will be solved and you can stop wondering. Or the opposite might happen...
- PRAY, both alone and with your wife, about what to do next. God will reveal His will in His timing.

These. Underline, asterisks, bold.

My wife and I have a family friendship with a single woman who is unfortunately not into the idea of plural marriage (at least currently). However our (all three of us) friendship is pretty fantastic. I'm not a great one on one conversationalist, but the three of us together can and do spend hours at a time chatting. I love my wife a lot more deeply and strongly than before we all started hanging out. Now, our situation is different in a couple ways. 1) I already was in love with my wife before we started hanging out with her. 2) My wife is supportive of PM. 3) We had started developing a friendship with her before we came to an understanding of PM, so that understanding didn't color the early parts of the friendship. 4) We have both talked to her about PM, and all our cards are on the table.

Still, I think FH's advice is fantastic. If your wife is okay with the idea of a family friendship, you will have to pay special attention to FH's advice on how to treat your wife's feelings. I've stepped on my wifes feelings a couple times throughout this process. It's a learning curve. I also think that before building the friendship too far, you should bring the other woman into the loop. Otherwise, if it comes out well down the road, it would likely feel like a betrayal, or that you'd tried to "trap" her.

Hi InTheQuestion.

Welcome to Biblical Families, and thank you for so much detail in your first post.

My opinion on your situation, and that's all it is, my opinion, is....

You have a good solid marriage.

Don't mess it up.

The new woman is a dream, a chimera; it will not end how you hope it will.

Focus on improving your current marriage.

This new woman is not the answer.

From ylop the conservative bore.

Thank you so much for everyone's prayers and well thought out comments. I've taken a few days to respond in order to put some of your ideas into practice. I felt pretty certain I would get some good thoughts on this forum, and you haven't failed to deliver.

I've realized that what I wrote is actually a bit out of date. I guess I should update everything I've written a bit. My initial post is a slightly modified version of something I wrote to a trusted Christian friend about four or five months ago. (The friend was very supportive, but didn't really know what to say.) I probably should have updated quite a few things on it, but instead of writing a whole new thing, I wanted to know what others thought about the general situation.

Of course, everyone's responses have been (understandably) in response to what I wrote. Thankfully, my current situation is overall better. My reply to UntoldGlory was actually more in line with how I was feeling about four months ago. I wanted to talk through that situation though, because that's what created such a dilemma in the first place. I have pretty well followed ylop's sound advice:
ylop said:
You have a good solid marriage.

Don't mess it up.

The new woman is a dream, a chimera; it will not end how you hope it will.

Focus on improving your current marriage.

This new woman is not the answer.

That was the conclusion I finally came to, and that's what I have been doing for the last several months--focusing on improving my current marriage. On the flip side, I pretty well learned how to deal with the woman at work. About four months ago, I basically decided just to kept contact to a minimum. Since then, her work duties have changed a bit, so I don't interact with her as much as I used to, and it's actually made everything at work go a lot more smoothly. Were we to start working together more frequently again, I feel that I have good mental/emotional boundaries in place to appreciate her as someone I communicate well with, but I have peace about keeping those communications rather limited. I had never intentionally connected with her as much as I did. It was just more of a slow steady thing, and one day I just realized how much we clicked. I never crossed any inappropriate boundaries, and I don't think she ever realized she was the catalyst for so much frustration. Having gone through an experience like that, I feel I am much better prepared should a situation like that arise again. Once again, I'm very grateful to my wife for being so understanding through the process and helping me work through the various emotions involved.

So here's an update on everything I wrote. I wrote:
InTheQuestion said:
I have really tried to avoid being emotionally wrapped up. After I realized the chemistry that was there, I have intentionally limited conversations to the bare minimum interactions necessary to do my job. However, I don't want to be a complete jerk about it, and I still have to interact a fair amount--or I see her interacting with others. It's a constant effort not to connect when we do so naturally.
As mentioned above, this is more how I felt four months ago, and the situation has pretty well resolved itself. However, the next part I wrote has been the crux of the issue as my wife and I have looked at moving beyond the past situation and improving our marriage:
InTheQuestion said:
As my wife and I have talked about it, I don't really see this girl as being the issue. I see her as more of a symbol. Even if I move away from this current situation and never see her again, the problem still exists. And it could easily come up again if I meet someone else. I do believe God has allowed this situation to force the issue to light, and it's something that has to be dealt with in our marriage.

For three months, I would say that this other woman has pretty well been out of the picture. I still see her and we are friendly, but I have intentionally not let my heart dwell on her, and I can say in good conscience that I have moved on. For numerous practical reasons, I could not ever see it working out to have a marital relationship with her. Like I said above, my wife and I have talked about her more in the sense of being a "symbol" of difficulties that have been present in our marriage since the beginning. Sooner or later, something was going to force everything into the light, and it just happened to be her.

Now that the issues are in the light, we have really had a great opportunity for understanding ourselves and the way we interact. We have really learned a lot. As difficult as the process has been, I am really starting to see how God works all situations for good. And ultimately, I think we are both wiser and better human beings because of the struggles we have faced. Thank you, Elisheba, for what you said about praying to God "that He would give you the emotions and connections that He wants you to have." I have done that off and on, but I've really focused on it after reading your post, and just over the past week since you wrote that, I would say that some amount of progress has been made in that direction.

If you pull all the specific details away from my particular story, I guess the main issue I was seeking counsel on was the lack of overall connection--the surviving instead of thriving. If anyone has any additional thoughts on that, I would certainly appreciate it.

My wife and I have had a lot more time to talk this week with the Christmas break, and we both agree that we really appreciate each other and we enjoy the good qualities in our relationship. I followed FollowingHim's advice to start a list of everything that is great about my wife. I shared it with her, and she really appreciated it.

I have more to write, which I probably will in a future post, but things are definitely going a lot better. The chemistry/connection issues are still there, and we honestly have no idea how to resolve them. We are looking at different options for how to work on that, and it's important for both of us that we get to a point where we are both really thriving in the relationship. We are both committed 100% to God, each other, and our marriage, and we won't leave each other. I feel like our "solution" is going to be rather outside the box, and we're not certain what it will be yet. I do believe the Lord has bigger plans in store, and I don't believe He put us together to leave us high and dry with unfulfilled connection desires. Thank you again for your counsel and your prayers. If you need something to add to your prayer list, my wife and I would certainly appreciate continued prayer.

All I can say at this point is that God is good. I sense that He is leading us toward something greater. I don't know what it is yet, but He is molding us and preparing us, and we are trusting in His timing.

InTheQuestion said:
Hi, this is my first time posting... We have been married nine years now, and I have truly tried to make it work. I have tried developing the "in love" feelings, but they have never come. Until a year and a half ago, I had pretty well stuffed my desires for a romantic relationship. I decided that those feelings are not necessary for a great marriage. You can choose to love (action) even if you don't feel "in love" (emotion). This mindset generally helped to create a peaceful marriage, and from all appearances, we seemed like a happy couple. My wife and I are quite "compatible," and we have had a peaceful marriage with few disagreements, but we have little chemistry. Unfortunately, over the past couple of years I have come to know a younger woman I work with who is basically everything I was looking for, personality-wise. We just really connect on an intuitive level. She daily reminds me of what I have always wanted in a partner. We go to church with her and her family, and with my job it's difficult not to interact with her on a pretty regular basis. It constantly reminds me that I have never really felt "in love" with my wife, and it has been extremely difficult not to fall in love with this girl.

Trust me in this, because I have some pretty good experience in this area. You are getting ready to mess up. Badly. Really badly. Really REALLY badly. I can only go on what you wrote, and what was between the lines, so understand that I'm going on limited information but a huge amount of personal experience.

Men can fall in love with more than one woman. I acknowledge that. This is not what is going on with you. You may feel an emotion, but it's not a good one, and it will WILL consume you. Why?

Because while you know on a mental level that you can be married without that deep romance you've been taught is what love is like, you, on a subconscious level have been taught from birth that you should have more, and you are trying to create it for yourself because it's the standard you have been programmed to achieve.

I was you. I was IN your shoes. I faced the situation you faced, and I made the choice you are heading for. I might as well have tied myself to the rear tire of a semi, and gone on a cross country trip down nothing but rutted back roads. I almost died (and this is no joke) from the remorse of making the decision that I made. I wish I would be even more brutal in how I feel and felt than I can on here, but I was an emotional disaster for YEARS after I left my wife. And we were very similar to you, as well. We were two people living in the same house, under the same roof, and having occasional sex. Occasional, when we both felt like it, and nothing else came up. I knew that she was bored, she knew that I was bored, and we were both slightly versed in plural marriage. Yeah. Right.

Look, this is my advice. Please, if you want to save yourself a huge heartache, then take it. But it is always your choice how you screw your life up.

First, forget PM. Adding someone else to a messed up marriage is like putting whipped cream on a mud pie. It will not work. You and she need to talk about this, and both of you need to understand that it is not right for you at this time. It will not fix your issues, and it WILL drive you apart.

Second. You went from an argument based environment to a peaceful one. In an argument based environment, you have huge highs, and deep lows. It's cyclic. In the relationship you have now, it's comfortable but you are missing the highs and lows. Without them, you feel ill at ease and uncomfortable. You need to address this, as it is not a problem you and she has, but you have alone. A good way to address it is adventures. Go on adventures together. When you miss the highs, you withdraw from her, and the more you do, the more you become two people living in the same house, and less a couple. I'll BET you are also not talking to her anywhere near as much as you think.

Next, I'll wager that you know exactly what she will say on any subject. What I challenge you to realize is that she does not want to argue and will just agree with you when you and she disagrees. If you ask her, she might even admit it, but she might not. She might love you so much and so deeply that she will agree with you, no matter what, in fear of losing you. TALK to her and when you do, stop talking and just listen. Tie your lips shut! If you get her to open up, and you say ANYTHING, she will shut down again. If this doesn't work, ask her to write you a letter, then keep it to yourself for at least a week before you discuss it with her.

Forth, "In Love," is a fleeting silly emotion that can drag you through broken glass and make you write a song that goes, "I would take a grenade for yaaaa." This feeling of love can't even be defined. It's just there, because we demand that it just be there. We live in a society that was once selling women in a sears catalog! We live in a world where only a few years ago matchmakers arranged marriages and love was a dirty word. Do you know what is different about now, and then? A 70% divorce rate. Why? Well, love is an emotion, and eventually it wears off and you find that the person you married, well, you HATE them. It took years to find that out when the "charm," that they had went away. I personally detest our marriage practices in the USA, because it's cruel and barbaric! Love, what is love? Love is the emotion that got Uriah killed, and nearly took down King David. Imagine that. King David, beloved of God himself, was almost destroyed because he fell in love with someone that he could not have, and TOOK her from someone. How is what you plan much different? You have a wife, a good relationship with someone, a person that cares deeply about you, and you are willing to throw that away to get an EMOTION and a CONNECTION? Have you ever though that the reason the other woman is attracted to you is BECAUSE you are married and she wants what you wive already has? Trust me, that is the one thing I did not consider before I messed up my life and lost nearly ten years of it trying to recover.

Has your wife met her? If not, then why not?

Dude, seriously, you have something special and you are too blind to see it. You've let the two of you become strangers, and you are putting WAY too much into emotions, and no where near enough into common sense. A wife is a helper. She is defined as someone that props you up. A lot is said about this, but do you have her back? You know that is your role, right?

Honestly, if she were to write here, then I'll bet that her story would be vastly different than yours.

I screwed up a marriage exactly like that one you describe, and I've regretted it every day since. You are trying to follow, she is trying to follow, and you both are walking into a ditch. Let her read this, even if you disagree with me.

I had refrained from posting on this just because I can frequently come across far harsher than I mean to but the previous poster kind of freed me up.
I also screwed up a marriage. It was a very flawed, unfulfilling marriage bit it was one I had chosen even against intense opposition of my parents. I too got a little knowledge of poly and proceeded to do some major damage that weakened the marriage to the point that the next shock killed it. It has taken years of heartache and trials to come back from that. The divorce destroyed my relationship with friends and church. Two of my daughters have grown very distant from me and the other three children from that marriage have been put in difficult positions as their mother and I are still extremely adversarial.
God has restored the years that the locust had eaten and He's promised me more restoration but the intervening years were very hard and ultimately the cost to my children and parents was too high. Tread carefully brother. You have been commanded to love her. That means you are able to love her. She is not commanded to love you however. Don't give up the 90% in a vain search for the last 10%. There is much to be said for a woman who will live in peace.

Hi Gideon,
Thanks for the heartfelt response. Your words of warning are well taken. With all due respect, while I appreciate the force of your words, much of what you describe is not my situation. I think there may be some similarities to what you've gone through, but I suspect you may be (in your words) "reading between the lines" a few things that aren't there. I don't know if you read my most recent update or just my first post, but my most recent post explains the current situation in more detail.

Gideon_70 said:
InTheQuestion said:
We go to church with her and her family, and with my job it's difficult not to interact with her on a pretty regular basis. It constantly reminds me that I have never really felt "in love" with my wife, and it has been extremely difficult not to fall in love with this girl.

Trust me in this, because I have some pretty good experience in this area. You are getting ready to mess up. Badly. Really badly. Really REALLY badly. I can only go on what you wrote, and what was between the lines, so understand that I'm going on limited information but a huge amount of personal experience.

I may not have emphasized it enough in my first post, but to clarify: My statement "It has been extremely difficult not to fall in love with this girl" is not the same thing as saying it is impossible not to fall in love. In fact, through deliberate effort, I have refrained from going that route. My first post was written about for our five months ago. In my recent update I wrote, "I have intentionally not let my heart dwell on her [the other woman], and I can say in good conscience that I have moved on."

Gideon_70 said:
You went from an argument based environment to a peaceful one. In an argument based environment, you have huge highs, and deep lows. It's cyclic. In the relationship you have now, it's comfortable but you are missing the highs and lows. Without them, you feel ill at ease and uncomfortable.

I'm a little puzzled by this statement, because I have to say emphatically that this is NOT our situation. My wife and I have certainly had our strong disagreements at times, but we have never yelled at each other, and we have never had anything close to an argument-based relationship. In fact, I've never had an argument-based relationship. I'm a pretty peaceful person myself. It takes two to argue, and if someone wants to argue, I usually opt not to participate. If I said something to suggest an argumentative environment, I apologize for being unclear.

I don't know if you read my most recent update, but I will say that my wife and I are enjoying our peaceful relationship right now. We still have some issues to figure out, but we are working on them together.

Gideon_70 said:
You need to address this, as it is not a problem you and she has, but you have alone. A good way to address it is adventures. Go on adventures together. When you miss the highs, you withdraw from her, and the more you do, the more you become two people living in the same house, and less a couple. I'll BET you are also not talking to her anywhere near as much as you think.

We went to marriage counseling for a while, and the counselor was consistently amazed at how much we DO talk. We usually talk several hours a day--in a peaceful, (mostly!) active-listening manner. I appreciate what you're saying, but that's honestly not our situation.

Gideon_70 said:
Forth, "In Love," is a fleeting silly emotion that can drag you through broken glass and make you write a song that goes, "I would take a grenade for yaaaa." This feeling of love can't even be defined. It's just there, because we demand that it just be there. We live in a society that was once selling women in a sears catalog! We live in a world where only a few years ago matchmakers arranged marriages and love was a dirty word. Do you know what is different about now, and then? A 70% divorce rate. Why? Well, love is an emotion, and eventually it wears off and you find that the person you married, well, you HATE them. It took years to find that out when the "charm," that they had went away. I personally detest our marriage practices in the USA, because it's cruel and barbaric! Love, what is love? Love is the emotion that got Uriah killed, and nearly took down King David. Imagine that. King David, beloved of God himself, was almost destroyed because he fell in love with someone that he could not have, and TOOK her from someone. How is what you plan much different? You have a wife, a good relationship with someone, a person that cares deeply about you, and you are willing to throw that away to get an EMOTION and a CONNECTION?

I completely agree that the "in love" feeling can be a very dangerous track to follow. C. S. Lewis said some people talk about falling in love the same way they talk about catching the measles. Something just "happened" to them; it came over them and they seemed to have no control. Following emotion alone is certainly not a wise way to make relationship decisions.

I've seen people make terrible decisions because they were "in love," and I was determined not to make the same mistake. In fact, in following the courtship advice before we got married, I was so concerned about the "in love" feelings leading me to make a foolish decision that I deliberately cut off my emotions. I achieved an almost emotionless, Vulcan-like way of examining compatibility. However, from this, I have learned the hard way that you have to be careful about both extremes. Some people say, "Ignore your head and just follow your emotions," and their heart leads them to make very foolish decisions. In response to this, some well-meaning people have said, "Completely ignore your emotions and only follow your head." Both are foolish.

First of all, if someone is trying to avoid the problems of following their emotions, why are they doing so? Is it not for the hope of a better, more peaceful life? Is not the desire for such a life based on an emotion? In reality, we can't segment ourselves like that. God created us as both rational and emotional beings, and we run into problems when we try to pretend we are only one or the other.

It's foolish to think your emotions will never steer you wrong, but it's equally foolish to think you can cut off your emotions in order to create an emotionally satisfying life. The best way is to be aware of your emotions, but don't let them be the basis of your choices. Emotions can inform, but they shouldn't be in charge.

Gideon_70 said:
Have you ever though that the reason the other woman is attracted to you is BECAUSE you are married and she wants what you wive already has? Trust me, that is the one thing I did not consider before I messed up my life and lost nearly ten years of it trying to recover.

It sounds like there is a lot of pain in your words, and I am truly sorry for what you have gone through. I will also add that I never once tried to make any type of advance toward the other woman. In fact, I never got the sense that she had any interest in me beyond being a basic friend at work. And, as you said, I'm sure that much of the reason she liked talking to me was because I was a "safe" married man. Like I said, I saw her more as a "symbol" of a problem. Encountering this situation shone light on things in my marriage that I hadn't wanted to face for several years. Unfortunately, as I have learned, ignoring a problem doesn't make it go away. This situation brought it all into the light, and for that I am grateful. My wife have learned a lot in dealing with this situation, and I think we have come through this season as stronger people because of it.

Gideon_70 said:
Has your wife met her? If not, then why not?

Yes, many times. Like I said, we go to church with her and several of her family members. They have talked many times. As I mentioned in my most recent update: "My wife and I have talked about her more in the sense of being a 'symbol' of difficulties that have been present in our marriage since the beginning. Sooner or later, something was going to force everything into the light, and it just happened to be her. Now that the issues are in the light, we have really had a great opportunity for understanding ourselves and the way we interact. We have really learned a lot. As difficult as the process has been, I am really starting to see how God works all situations for good. And ultimately, I think we are both wiser and better human beings because of the struggles we have faced."

Gideon_70 said:
Dude, seriously, you have something special and you are too blind to see it. You've let the two of you become strangers, and you are putting WAY too much into emotions, and no where near enough into common sense. A wife is a helper. She is defined as someone that props you up. A lot is said about this, but do you have her back? You know that is your role, right?

Again, I feel like you're reading too many things between the lines. We are definitely not strangers. In fact, I would say we are best friends--and we have been for years. We definitely have each other's backs, and we are committed to each other and our marriage. This situation has been a major test, to be sure, but by God's grace, we have worked through it.

Gideon_70 said:
I screwed up a marriage exactly like that one you describe, and I've regretted it every day since. You are trying to follow, she is trying to follow, and you both are walking into a ditch. Let her read this, even if you disagree with me.

She reads on these forums, and she knows what I have written. I don't know if she will want to write on here, but she is completely in the loop.

Again, I appreciate the time you took to write your comments. However, I suspect that you are projecting several things from a somewhat similar situation into mine--and these things are simply not the same situation.

As I wrote in the conclusion to my last post, if you strip away the specific details away from my particular story, I guess the main issue I was seeking counsel on was the lack of overall connection--the surviving instead of thriving. If anyone has any additional thoughts on that, I would certainly appreciate it.

Overall, my wife and I are working together much better. We still struggle with chemistry/connection issues to a point, and we honestly have no idea how to resolve them. We are looking at different options for how to work on that, and it's important for both of us that we get to a point where we are both really thriving in the relationship. And this desire for connection isn't just some "pie in the sky" desire. Recent brain research has shown that human beings thrive when they can achieve neural synchrony. What we call "chemistry" is something observable in brain waves. Two people's brains actually start firing neurons in synch with each other, and this brings them to a point where they feel "connected." The health benefits of regular interactions like this have been shown to be staggering.

I don't believe this is an accident. God made our brains to function this way. I believe He made us to desire these types of deep connection with others. When we truly "connect" with someone else, it brings health to the whole body. My wife and I both desire this for each other. Unfortunately, it's not as simple as "just doing it." We acknowledge that the way our personalities work, it's very difficult for us to do. Once again, when I say "difficult," I don't mean "impossible." We just don't connect easily in our natural selves. The good news is that the supernatural God indwells us. I believe the Holy Spirit can lead us to this place, and He is getting us closer to this point.

Ultimately, I sense that God has something great in store for us with regard to our relationship. We just don't know what all of it will look like yet. But we are enjoying our current relationship, trusting in God's timing, and believing that He will lead us to things "far more abundantly beyond all that we can ask or think" (Eph. 3:20).

Thank you again for sharing your struggles and encouraging me along the way.

zephyr said:
I had refrained from posting on this just because I can frequently come across far harsher than I mean to but the previous poster kind of freed me up.
I also screwed up a marriage. It was a very flawed, unfulfilling marriage bit it was one I had chosen even against intense opposition of my parents. I too got a little knowledge of poly and proceeded to do some major damage that weakened the marriage to the point that the next shock killed it. It has taken years of heartache and trials to come back from that. The divorce destroyed my relationship with friends and church. Two of my daughters have grown very distant from me and the other three children from that marriage have been put in difficult positions as their mother and I are still extremely adversarial.
God has restored the years that the locust had eaten and He's promised me more restoration but the intervening years were very hard and ultimately the cost to my children and parents was too high.

Hi, zephyr. Thank you for sharing your difficulties. I appreciate your taking the time to write. And don't worry about being too harsh--I can take it!

zephyr said:
Tread carefully brother. You have been commanded to love her. That means you are able to love her. She is not commanded to love you however. Don't give up the 90% in a vain search for the last 10%. There is much to be said for a woman who will live in peace.

Amen on the last sentence. I have gotten very familiar with Ephesians 5 lately. I do love my wife, and I have simply focused my recent efforts on serving, cherishing, and nurturing her. Through this process, I have learned to be very "real" with my emotions. While emotions are not the most important thing, I have learned that it's important to acknowledge them. I appreciate the 90%, and I am very grateful for it. I must confess that there is still a deep longing for the 10%. But God's grace has been sufficient. This longing has drawn me to Him more and more. Perhaps the Lord has allowed this situation to teach me how much I need to pray every moment of every day. I have prayed for this desire to be taken from me--or for my mind to be transformed if I am somehow in error for desiring it. I am placing this desire on the cross. So far, it still persists though. Proverbs 13:12 says, "Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but desire fulfilled is a tree of life." It seems the Lord is leading me to "a tree of life," but I am having to learn the lesson of long-suffering and trusting His timing. By His grace, I am becoming thankful for this lesson, even though it is a difficult one.

If anyone else finds themselves waiting on God's timing, I have found this passage to be very helpful in prayer:
"I have believed
That I would see the goodness of Jehovah
In the land of the living.
Wait for Jehovah;
Be strong, and let your heart be encouraged.
Yes, wait for Jehovah." (Psa. 27:13-14)

Inthequestion,
I am really glad to hear that things have been going better, you and your wife have been on my heart, as have the two men who shared the sadness that happened for them when they lost their families. Over and over again the same verses comes to mind, so I thought I would share it. It comes from a section on the curses says that we receive the curses ....
Deu 28:47 Because you didn't serve YHVH your God with joy and gladness in your heart when you had such an abundance of everything;

I think the key here is not that Yah doesn't want to bless us but that we have to be thankful for what we do have. If we focus on what we don't have we have our eyes open to more of what we are missing and what is going wrong. We covet, and also put ourselves first and our knowledge of what we think would be best for us. Essentially playing god.

If instead we practice gratitude for what we have been given, we focus on the wisdom of Yah and His goodness, knowing what is best for us. We give Him our trust and thanks. At that point we have lined up with the principles laid out in the 10 commandments, and He wants to bless us more. Will it be what we thought we wanted? Maybe, maybe better! The point is that He is worthy of our trust. He has great plans for each one of us.

Like my 2 year old. She can be Angry, or whine about what she wants, water for instance, or, she can say "Mama, can I please have some water?" (I know she should say "May I" but all of you English buffs just breathe and realize what I am getting at, OK. lol) When she says please, with trust in her heart I WANT to bless her! Just to hear her say "Thanks"! in that cute little squeaky voice.

His laws are as sure as gravity, even when "bad" things happen, I have found it really powerful to pray for example "Thank you Yah for (pick a horrible thing) I don't understand why, but I trust you want what is best for me/us. So thank you." From the beginning of the world Yah knew that we would end up with the spouse that we have.

Another thing we humans do is create our own problems. We are goal oriented and instead of seeing how amazing NOW is, we think "This is nice but if I had...... or ...... happened this would be better. " Perhaps you have noticed the people that just have to create drama for themsleves....Why? Maybe it is a control issue. We can't really control how happy we are but we can sure make ourselves miserable!

We are postponing our happiness. One thing that helps me start giving thanks is this. (humor me please) I come back to the present and describe my life to myself with all the nostalgic feeling of an award winning novelist. Tonight it would sound something like, "I am sitting on my favorite couch with the slipcover askew from the kids playing today. The children are all peaceful in their beds, soft lamp light fills the living room as my husband and I catch up on our emails, the occasional word here or there, hunting youtubes run on his computer and that makes me smile. I smell the slight smell of menthol rub I put on the children's chests for their colds. It still clings to my hands to tease me. The blower on the wood stove is purring, reassuring me that we will all be nice and warm tonight, and a good book waits for me on the bed side table." That is a perfect picture, and our lives are full of perfections everyday. We simply need the eyes to see the amazing beauty, and perfection we already have right NOW. Looking for what we don't have steals the perfect moments from us and we lose them forever. Not to mention the gratitude that Yah deserves for these perfect gifts.

Yah open all of our eyes to see our blessings.

I really appreciated this thread and all of the amazing thoughts that the men have had to share. Thank you for being willing to post!

Thank you, Elisheba, for your words of wisdom and encouragement. (I'm somewhat of a book nerd myself; I like your literary description of your evening!)

I don't have much else to write on this thread for now, but I really appreciate everyone's thoughts. Once again, thank you everyone for your godly counsel.

Back