• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Matthew 19:9 and polygamy - Explain in 1 paragraph or less

PolyPride

I have spent some time looking for a clear answer that would reconcile Matthew 19:9 and polygamy but the answers seem complicated, too long, and unclear. It is my view that not being able to give a simple and clear explanation is an indication that a person does not really understand their own position and it can increase your chance of being wrong. I was discussing Matthew 19:9 and polygamy on a Catholic website. Their view is that the husband in Matthew 19:9 commits adultery because his first marriage is still in place. By implication it would also include polygamy since a man is engaged with other women while his first marriage is still in place.

Here's what I believe needs to be explained to answer the Catholic objection:
- The biblical polygamy advocates must explain what Jesus was calling adultery in Matthew 19.
- They must also explain how or why adultery in Matthew 19:9 does not conflict with adultery as explained in the OT. I'm assuming you would say that adultery has to mean the same throughout the OT Law and the New Testament.

So does Matthew 19:9 prohibit polygamy, by implication? A request i have is that you answer or give a summary of your answer in one paragraph or less to keep it simple.

Re: Matthew 19:9 and polygamy - Explain in 1 paragraph or le

I'm having trouble seeing how Matthew 19:9 is being used as an argument against polygamy? I thought maybe one or two translations might be different, but looking at a few translations they all have the same meaning.

Here's a quick rebuttal for that verse: It says "and", not "or". He who divorces his wife AND marries another commits adultery. Maybe that's more clear to me because I've done some computer programming, but that is a very different statement than: He who divorces his wife OR marries another commits adultery.

For an analogy, look at these two statements:

1. If a man sells his car, AND drives off with it, he has committed theft.

2. If a man sells his car, OR drives off with it, he has committed theft.

Statement 1 is true, statement 2 is not. Not sure how to make it more simple and clear than that. Ironically, just a wee bit later in the same chapter comes the quote from Jesus: "Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given." Which seems to be the case here.

Sometimes even the simplest answer takes more than a paragraph, especially if you are going to reference scripture, which we should always be using to flesh out things like this.

Matthew 19:9 (NASB) And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.”

I agree, I don't think this has to do with polygyny at all, it has to do with wrongful divorce. The whole passage is about divorce, not polygyny. To me it is saying something very simple: A man should not be divorcing his wife, except for immorality, and if he does, and remarries, it is the same as adultery.

Why might this be? A single woman in the days in which this was written was not going to easily provide for herself. If she were divorced, she might feel as if she had to remarry to survive. If so, that would be adultery:

Matthew 5:31-32 “It was said, ‘Whoever sends his wife away, let him give her a certificate of divorce’; but I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except for the reason of unchastity, makes her commit adultery; and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

In other words, the man would be making his former wife commit adultery by divorcing her, except in the case of adultery. This is, in my opinion, much the same as how Jesus said hating was like murder (1 John 3:15). Forcing a woman into a future adulterous relationship for no reason at all, then replacing her with another, is the same as committing adultery on your own.

That is my $.02 worth.

I do find it interesting that the continuation of this passage in Matthew discusses vows and the importance of them. I think it is very probable this is saying, "If you made a vow to a woman, do not break it unless she is guilty of adultery." See below:

Matthew 5:33 “Again, you have heard that the ancients were told, ‘ You shall not make false vows, but shall fulfill your vows to the Lord.’ But I say to you, make no oath at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God, or by the earth, for it is the footstool of His feet, or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. Nor shall you make an oath by your head, for you cannot make one hair white or black. But let your statement be, ‘Yes, yes’ or ‘No, no’; anything beyond these is of evil.

Re: Matthew 19:9 & polygamy - Explain in 1 paragraph or less

A man and a woman who join together create a "one-flesh" relationship or bond. A man can have more than one such bond at a time; a woman cannot. A woman divorced by her husband even though she has not broken their bond through adultery will be forced to abandon it when she forms another (which in most cultures she presumably will do).

Hence, by divorcing her, except it be for fornication, he has caused her to commit adultery.

I think the answer to this one can be even shorter than just one paragraph. You just need one sentence.

"This scripture is not at all about polygamy, it's about divorce."

If I were going to add a couple of more sentences to that, they would be:

"If Jesus did want to give the church some new teaching about polygamy, I can't think of a better opportunity for him to do so than during this exchange. The fact that he didn't should tell you something."

The only reason that a response would have to get more convoluted than that is if the person you're speaking with gives a convoluted argument of their own, which is what you have on the other website you're talking about. They're coming back with

"Ok, so it's not directly about polygamy, but it kindof implies something about polygamy if you think about it the right way. If this guy is committing adultery by marrying some other woman after he gets divorced from his first wife, then that must mean that in God's eyes he's still Biblicaly married to the first wife. Like God doesn't really recognize the divorce at all. And if being Biblicaly married to a first wife in God's eyes and then marrying a second wife is like adultery, then that would imply that when the same thing happens without a divorce but is called a plural marriage, it would also be adultery."

Firstly, I think the most obvious problem with their argument here is what UG said. They're ignoring the fundamental difference being discussed. Which is divorce. If the guy gets divorced AND THEN gets married to someone else, it's adultery. It doesn't say if he stays married and then gets married again. It's being intellectually dishonest to act as if the main topic of this scripture can be ignored or replaced with any other word, and the verses still mean the same thing.

But also, I think the argument shows a lack of understanding of what adultery is. They're using the modern American definition of the word, rather than the Bible-based one. In scripture, there are three different dispositions of sex. Marriage is one. Certain people qualify for marriage, and if they do it in a committed relationship, they are married (yes, a simplification). The modern definition is more about a license the state issues to whoever the law allows.

Fornication Is another one. When any two people have sex, but don't have a commitment to each other, or aren't eligible for marriage (think anybody described in Leviticus 18), that's fornication. The modern definition of fornication is pre-marital sex. But that's just something we added on to keep teenagers away from each other.

Adultery is the third one. Adultery is when a woman that is already taken has sex with anybody. Adultery always has to involve a spoken-for woman. Two men can't commit adultery. A man and an eligible-for-marriage woman can't commit adultery, even if that man is already married. Adultery is always in reference to a woman that is already taken. But the modern definition says that anyone, man or woman, who has sex outside of their one marriage is committing adultery. Like a lot of irreconcilable debates, the problem is usually in the definitions of the terms.

But I think that brings up a very interesting thought about this verse that has been on my mind since the thread about "first wife syndrome". In that thread, there was mention of the idea of the "Covenant Wife", or your first wife, or the wife of your youth, and how that relationship is different than subsequent ones (if at all). Verses like this one, and the ones about divorce in Malachi, seem to place special importance on that covenant marriage. It's led me to study all the passages in scripture that talk about God's relationship with His covenant wife (Israel), and how that bond effects and relates to His covenant with us, the Church. The middle chapters of Romans have a lot to say about that interaction. I'm not going to pretend I've come to any solid conclusions on it. But it is an interesting study. Paul says in Romans that the Gentiles have been given the opportunity to be grafted on because of the already established relationship of God to His people Israel. I would propose that if God had ever been proven to be unfaithful to Israel, there would be no basis for the marriage of the Church.

So back to Matthew. Christ says that a man who divorces his wife (unlawfully) cannot marry another without committing adultery. My thought is that he has made himself ineligible for marriage by breaking faith with the wife of his youth. He has proven to be unfaithful, so there is therefore no basis for a second marriage.

But there is still the issue of Jesus using the word "adultery" to describe this man getting a second wife after divorcing the first. If adultery is really about whether or not the woman is already taken, then the verse is confusing. It doesn't say that Jesus is necessarily talking about the guy marrying a woman who is also divorced. In fact, that is covered elsewhere. So where in this verse is the woman that is already spoken for? My second thought is this: if the man, by breaking his marriage covenant with God in being unfaithful to his first wife is ineligible for marriage, then any woman he takes in marriage after that is not meant to be his. She is meant to be someone else's wife. Someone who is eligible for marriage.

I just have two things to add to the end of all these thoughts. First, these are just thoughts being developed in the midst of study. I know some things are pretty solid, and others I'm making a leap to. I'm not saying this is definite in my mind. Second, nowhere did I mention the Grace of God that allows all of these past mistakes to be paid for and forgiven, and allows us all to live in freedom from the earned effects of our sins, but that's just because I figured it's a given. I'm not a legalistic person, I'm just very interested in the technical ins and outs of this topic.

Thanks for all of the helpful replies. Aimeo and Jason went over the 1 paragraph but I can give a pass on that since the rest of their information was very helpful. ONe thing that stood out to me is this part of Jason's post:

"But there is still the issue of Jesus using the word "adultery" to describe this man getting a second wife after divorcing the first. If adultery is really about whether or not the woman is already taken, then the verse is confusing. It doesn't say that Jesus is necessarily talking about the guy marrying a woman who is also divorced. In fact, that is covered elsewhere. So where in this verse is the woman that is already spoken for? My second thought is this: if the man, by breaking his marriage covenant with God in being unfaithful to his first wife is ineligible for marriage, then any woman he takes in marriage after that is not meant to be his. She is meant to be someone else's wife. Someone who is eligible for marriage."

A Catholic would press a polygamy-supporter more on Matthew 19:9 after you just bring up divorce. It seems Jesus is prohibiting a husband from marrying even single women if the marriage came after an unlawful divorce and that's different than restricting men from marrying only women who were already taken as the Old Testament -based adultery did. This here again is where the polygamy-supporters explanation becomes unclear at times. The explanation that the husband in Matthew 19:9 restricted from remarrying ALL women because his first marriage is still in place (the Catholic explanation - refer to post 1 also) seems easier to accept although I admit sounding more simple does not always mean truth. So then we can ask if Jesus' explanation of adultery is different than the OT explanation of adultery, and if so why?

I would submit that Matthew 19:9 is in fact a rare NT endorsement of polygamy. It seems very clear that what is being prohibited is marrying after an unjust divorce. However it completely leaves open the door for a subsequent wife if there has been no unjust divorce. This sounds like Christ implicitly allowing polygyny. Also, it seems that if this is a commandment against polygyny it is just as strong a commandment against any marriage (read verse 10). Certainly our Catholic brothers have a difficult relationship with marriage in general though so they might be okay with this but at worst what we seem to have here is polygyny in a rough equivalence with monogamy which should be a ringing endorsement.

I agree, Zephyr. If this exchange from Jesus implies anything at all about polygamy, it is positive. Much like old testament laws against certain polygamous relationships (marrying two sisters to vex one or both, marrying a woman and her mother) are strong proofs that polygamy in general is in fact accepted by God, as he could have simply banned all forms of it but chose not to. And new testament bans on bishops having more than one wife (although there is justified doubt in that particular interpretation) are strong proofs that polygamy was present in the early church.

"The explanation that the husband (is) restricted from remarrying ALL women because his first marriage is still in place . . . seems easier to accept"

I don't see that at all. To say that would be to ignore the context of the entire conversation and to ignore the testimony of the rest of scripture as well.

The context of the conversation is divorce. In other words, the man is NOT restricted because his first marriage "is still in place". He is explicitly said to have divorced, and his restriction is given because of that divorce. Jesus is talking about divorced men only. He could easily have, but certainly did not, include married men.

As I said, a more convoluted answer is only necessary when presented with a convoluted argument. The catholic argument (no offense to anyone there, I'm just using that label for brevity) is that God sees the divorce as having no practical effect, and the man is therefore still married. But why then did Jesus recognize the validity of divorce with the woman at the well? Why did God recognize the validity of divorce in his Law? What point or force did God's word carry when He described Himself as divorced from Israel? Obviously God does recognize divorce, and it does mean something. He hates it, but He recognizes it. Because he hates it, it carries certain downsides. Restrictions. Such as the ones described in Matthew. It's not a restriction based on a continuing marriage, as someone looking for an argument against polygamy might construe, it's a restriction because of divorce, as the entire conversation clearly and explicitly says.

So if it were me, I would still stick with my original (one sentence) rebuttal:

"This scripture is not at all about polygamy, it's about divorce."

Jason,
I believe that we both agree that the meaning or use of adultery in Matthew 19 and some of the other NT passages is different than the OT explanation of adultery. The OT prohibited husbands from from sex with women who belonged to another man while Jesus prohibited husbands from all women besides his first wife when divorce was involved. This difference, besides just explaining what adultery meant in Matthew 19, requires a coherent explanation otherwise the door is left open for objections. Many Catholics would explain this difference as being God wanting to revert back to how marriage was supposed to be since the beginning, ie monogamous. If i'm understanding you correctly, your explanation for this difference is that Jesus wanted to restrict remarriages following unlawful divorces or serial monogamy?

Re: Matthew 19:9 & polygamy - Explain in 1 paragraph or less

#2014in5words:
Faithful wives get to stay

Edit, 12 Mar 2015: I posted this after seeing just one episode of @Midnight — and before realizing I have a poor grasp of hashtag trends. Otherwise I would've called it...what, #DivorceRulesIn5words? #RebukesFromJesusIn5words? Meh.

The confusion arises because the husband is said to be guilty of "adultery". Everywhere else in scripture "adultery" refers to a married woman sleeping with another man. So how can the man be committing adultery?

"Catholic" explanation: He is still married, adultery is because he is cheating on his first wife. BUT even if he was still married, sleeping with another woman would not be adultery, even if it were wrong it would be called something else. Because adultery in the law is very clearly a married woman sleeping with a man other than her husband. This isn't consistent with scripture.

So, what is adultery? Ultimately, it is "breaking a marriage". A woman committing adultery is breaking her marriage by sleeping with another man. Marriage is to be permanent, and divorce is generally prohibited (as Jesus confirms). However a man is justified in divorcing his wife for adultery because the woman has already broken the marriage herself. The divorce isn't breaking the marriage, just confirming that it has been broken already.

If either spouse breaks the marriage they sin. If the man unjustiably divorces his wife, he has sinned, but she has not. If a woman commits adultery, she has sinned, but her husband does not sin if he confirms this through divorce.

This passage describes serial divorce and remarriage, endemic in Roman culture and today also. I see it as describing a man divorcing the first wife SO he can marry the second. He has replaced one wife with another, something that the law forbids - he's allowed to take the second but only if he doesn't reduce the provision he gives the first, and here he has completely abandoned her.

He has broken the marriage unjustifiably. He has done exactly the same thing that a woman does if she commits adultery - she breaks the marriage unjustifiably. So Jesus calls it the same - he calls it "adultery". I think he used this term not so much because it was technically the right word to use (adultery does have a different definition) but to show that this was just as serious a sin as adultery.

He was telling the men listening that if they chose to divorce one woman for another, they were just as bad as a woman abandoning one man for another through adultery.

So yes, "it's about divorce, not polygamy" - this is just a more verbose explanation...

FollowingHim said:
The confusion arises because the husband is said to be guilty of "adultery". Everywhere else in scripture "adultery" refers to a married woman sleeping with another man. So how can the man be committing adultery?
So, what is adultery? Ultimately, it is "breaking a marriage". A woman committing adultery is breaking her marriage by sleeping with another man. Marriage is to be permanent, and divorce is generally prohibited (as Jesus confirms)....

I dont fully agree with defining adultery as breaking a marriage. That is too broad and other actions can break a marriage like divorce alone - like a man who divorces his wife but does not marry another woman afterwards. I would narrow adultery down to being about a prohibited sex act in the context of marriage or involving a married person. Normally, it is a prohibited sex act for a spouse because that person is married, although in polgynous culture it would only be due to the woman being married.

You did elaborate on Jesus's use of adultery in this part of your post

So Jesus calls it the same - he calls it "adultery". I think he used this term not so much because it was technically the right word to use (adultery does have a different definition) but to show that this was just as serious a sin as adultery.

He was telling the men listening that if they chose to divorce one woman for another, they were just as bad as a woman abandoning one man for another through adultery.

Just as your post hints at, I would also say that Jesus used adultery in a peculiar way. I say that because the husband in Matthew 19 is not being considered an adulterer because of his first marriage still being in place which is usually the purpose of adultery, like for wives in the OT. Instead we have a prohibition on sex (in the context of marriage or adultery) that's centered on the reason for a divorce. So the wife is prohibited from extra-marital sex because she is married but the husband is prohibited from non-monogamous sex because he divorces the wrong way.

Explaining this pecularity is probably the biggest challenge that's leftover after explaining what adultery means in Matthew 19.

I may have worded that poorly. Adultery is a specific sex act. However here Jesus uses the word to describe something different. I think if we go back to the underlying effect of adultery on the marriage we can understand why he used this word - serial divorce and remarriage is comparable to a woman committing adultery. I don't mean to redefine adultery. Does that make sense? May need to be worded better.

When squaring one's understanding of a topic with what the Bible alone says about it, it's arguably a good idea to define one's term's solely according to how they're used in the Bible. The essay Marriage From the Bible Alone covers this ground quite well.

Contemporary usage also is part of this discussion. As for whether adultery breaks a marriage as Samuel said, there's break and then there's break; one is total and one is a matter of degree. (I had fun examining some of the word's many meanings.) So perhaps this would be clearer:

The divorce isn't breaking the marriage, just confirming that the breakage has become complete and irreparable.

Edit: After posting, I realized that the above happens to match the legally permissible grounds for divorce in the state where I live: "Before a divorce is granted, the court must find that there has been a breakdown in the marriage relationship to the extent that the parties cannot live together as husband and wife. At least one of the parties must appear in court to show that this breakdown exists."

FollowingHim said:
I may have worded that poorly. Adultery is a specific sex act. However here Jesus uses the word to describe something different. I think if we go back to the underlying effect of adultery on the marriage we can understand why he used this word - serial divorce and remarriage is comparable to a woman committing adultery. I don't mean to redefine adultery. Does that make sense? May need to be worded better.

Got it. Thanks Samuel. Your view is also similar to Dr. William Luck's view.

Msytic,
...thanks for that first link in your post.

On further thoughts, it was not uncommon for Jesus to use one word to refer to something different. If we go back to Matthew 5:31-32 we have a simplified version of the teaching in Matthew 19. But the preceding verses are interesting.

V27-28 calls lust "adultery". Lust clearly is not adultery, as adultery is a specific sexual act - but lust is the thought behind adultery. It is the thought of the heart that counts.

V21-22 says that one who hates his brother is liable to "judgement" just as a murderer - and this is restated more bluntly in 1 John 3:15 as "Everyone who hates his brother is a murderer". Hate is equated to murder. Hate is not actually murder, but it is the thought behind murder. Again, it is the thought that counts.

By calling lust "adultery" and hate "murder" Jesus does not redefine adultery and murder. Rather he just shows how serious lust and hate are, to teach people not to do them.

In the same way, in Matthew 19:9 Jesus is not redefining "adultery" by applying it to a man who divorces and remarries. Rather, he is showing that the thought behind the man's actions is the same thought as behind an adulterous woman's actions. It is the thought that counts, so he calls it adultery to illustrate how serious this is and why it is a problem to his audience. He is in effect saying "serial monogamy is as bad as adultery", just as he earlier meant "lust is as bad as adultery" and "hate is as bad as murder".

Mystic: Fully agree on degrees of breaking the marriage and your rewording around divorce confirming the break is permanent and irrepairable, you have explained this very well.

FollowingHim, your last post is probably the best explanation I've come across to explain the differences between OT adultery and NT adultery. Thanks for that!

I also think UntoldGlory's post about what adultery meant in Matthew 19 is probably one of the most simplest but effective.

I added a section in the first post for this thread just to clarify what i think an explanation should cover to counter the Catholic position.

Ok, I've been through the thread, pulled out the key points, and got it down to 2 paragraphs - 1 pulling apart their argument, the second rebuilding a sound one. Delete the gap and it's one paragraph, but less readable! :D

This verse is about divorce, not polygamy. The man is said to commit adultery only if he both divorces AND marries another. This is serial monogamy, which was common in monogamous Greek / Roman culture so needed to be addressed by Jesus. But how is the man committing "adultery"? Biblically, adultery is strictly defined as sex with a married woman (e.g. Lev 20:10, Deut 22:22, Jer 29:23). Even were the man still married to the first, he would not be committing physical adultery by sleeping with a second unless she were also married - if wrong this would be called fornication, not adultery. So the notion that the first marriage still exists does not explain the term "adultery", it still doesn't fit.

Rather, a woman who abandons a husband for another, through adultery, is being unfaithful to her marriage. A man who divorces his wife for another is being equally unfaithful. The thought behind it is the same. Jesus frequently described thoughts as being as serious as the actual action. He said lust was equivalent to adultery (Mat 5:27-28) and hate was equivalent to murder (Mat 5:21-22, 1 John 3:15). Here he says unjust divorce + remarriage is equivalent to adultery. Jesus did not redefine adultery, rather he was using these terms to say to his male audience "If you divorce your wife to marry another you're just as bad as an adulterous wife", to show them how bad their unfaithfulness was. Rather than following the sinful ways of Greek / Roman culture they should have been following God's law, which required faithfulness to the first wife when a second was taken (Ex 21:10).

PolyPride said:
I have spent some time looking for a clear answer that would reconcile Matthew 19:9 and polygamy...
So does Matthew 19:9 prohibit polygamy, by implication? A request i have is that you answer or give a summary of your answer in one paragraph or less to keep it simple.

Two different subjects are addressed by that passage.

First, refers to an old testament verse, that reads, "If he take him another wife; her food, her raiment, and her duty of marriage, shall he not diminish." By divorcing one to marry another, he deprives her of everything!
Second, marriage is a lifetime bond and even the word adultery means to add something that does not belong. Just saying, "I deeevorce thee," three times and spinning in a circle no more undoes the bond than getting an "Official," to say "I Deeevorce Thee," three times for you. You are still married because you are still bonded. Since God clearly allows plural marriage, but hates divorce... And keep in mind, that adultery is when a man is with a woman that is married to another man. Not when a man sleep with a woman he is not married to.

Gideon_70 said:
Second, marriage is a lifetime bond and even the word adultery means to add something that does not belong. Just saying, "I deeevorce thee," three times and spinning in a circle no more undoes the bond than getting an "Official," to say "I Deeevorce Thee," three times for you. You are still married because you are still bonded.
Jesus forbade divorce "except for sexual immorality", leaving divorce a possibility, so the bond can be broken. Just pointing that out for precision, obviously this should be rare.

Back