• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

My turn to ramble/meditations on marriage

UntoldGlory

Male
We have all most likely heard teachings and read scripture about “the church” being the bride of Christ. We have also all likely heard about being the body of Christ. I don’t believe I have ever heard these two concepts linked anywhere, which in retrospect I find odd. I think I have always thought of them as two separate analogies. Honestly I’m not sure how this has been the case, as it’s really pretty plain in the scriptures how they are connected.

This is a bit of a long read. Sorry about that, but I don’t think it would have the same effect if rushed or condensed too much.

Recently we (my wife and I) have been hearing a lot about the bride of Christ, most especially from church leadership, but from others as well. This led me to study the nature of the relationship between Christ and the church, and in my meditation, find out if and how that can be reconciled to the concept that we are the “body of Christ”.

The first thing that occured to me is that the concepts do not actually need to be reconciled. They are a natural continuation.
Ephesians 5:22-33: 22 Wives, be subject to your own husbands, as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ also is the head of the church, He Himself being the Savior of the body. 24 But as the church is subject to Christ, so also the wives ought to be to their husbands in everything.
25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her, 26 so that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, 27 that He might present to Himself the church [q]in all her glory, having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that she would be holy and blameless. 28 So husbands ought also to love their own wives as their own bodies. He who loves his own wife loves himself; 29 for no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ also does the church, 30 because we are members of His body. 31 For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and shall be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh. 32 This mystery is great; but I am speaking with reference to Christ and the church. 33 Nevertheless, each individual among you also is to love his own wife even as himself, and the wife must see to it that she [r]respects her husband.

Let’s look at some examples, because that always helps me get something straight in my head.

Let’s say there is a man named Greg Thompson. An unbeliever. At this point he is not a believer, not part of the body of Christ. No bride of Christ status. He hears about Christ (introduction), learns about the good news (courtship). We are already bought with a price (bride price, though modern equivalent would I guess be engagement ring and proposal). Greg makes the decision to follow Christ (accepting the proposal and betrothal). Greg accepts Christ into his heart (consummation, the two become one flesh), and is now part of the body of Christ (the two are one flesh, with Christ as the head, therefor Greg is part of Christ’s body, not the other way around)

Now let’s see how that interpretation/illustration stacks up to Ephesians 5 when applied solely to a human relationship.

Let’s say there is a man named Greg Thompson. He’s single. He meets Ruth (introduction), and they really get to know each other (courtship). Greg buys a ring, even though technically that’s not required, and proposes. (bride price, though modern equivalent would I guess be engagement ring and proposal). Ruth says yes! (accepting the proposal and betrothal). Greg and Ruth have a ceremony, say their vows, and have their wedding night. (consummation, the two become one flesh), Ruth changes her last name to Thompson and submits to her husband (the two are one flesh, with Greg as the head, therefor Ruth is part of Greg’s body, not the other way around)

To me, that seems to match up pretty well. Thoughts?

Now let’s add a dimension. We’ve talked about how someone becomes part of the body of Christ, and in similar fashion how man and wife become one. For the next bit, we need to look at the Biblical definition of “church”.
Ekklesia - The Greek word that is translated as: church (74 times), churches (35 times), assembly (3 times), congregation (2 times) - Strongs #1577

1. a gathering of citizens called out from their homes into some public place, an assembly
2. an assembly of the people convened at the public place of the council for the purpose of deliberating
3. the assembly of the Israelites
4. any gathering or throng of men assembled by chance, tumultuously
5. in a Christian sense
a. an assembly of Christians gathered for worship in a religious meeting
b. a company of Christian, or of those who, hoping for eternal salvation through Jesus Christ, observe their own religious rites, hold their own religious meetings, and manage their own affairs, according to regulations prescribed for the body for order's sake
c. those who anywhere, in a city, village, constitute such a company and are united into one body
d. the whole body of Christians scattered throughout the earth
e. the assembly of faithful Christians already dead and received into heaven
I was surprised to find out that it is only in our english language that there is a singular “church” and plural “churches” form, but it tracks.

It appears that “church” is a very similar term to “flock” or “herd”. It is a group, a collection. In the case of the Christian church, it is a group of people whose connection to each other is defined by their connection to Christ.

Example:
Greg Thompson knows Sheila Washington. They are not related by blood, they don’t know each other from work, they were completely unconnected until recently when Sheila became a Christian. They are connected by the commonality that they both accepted Christ’s call and became part of his body. He is their head. He has called to them and they have answered, entering into the covenant that he offers and changing their very identity from “unbeliever” to “Christian”. Christ did not change *his* identity. Greg and Sheila are the ones who required a fundamental shift in who they are to become one flesh with Christ. Christ did not require a fundamental change in himself, though there is a change. Christ is the head of the body, his body is more capable than it would be without either of them, but it would still be his body. Both Greg and Sheila are equally valid parts of his body, members of his family, and have taken his name.

Here comes the bit that your average church-goer would balk at due to our cultural conditioning. You’ve probably already seen where I’m going here, but let’s work through that same setup with the addition of polygyny and see how that tracks.

Ruth Thompson knows Angela Thompson. They are not related by blood, they don’t know each other from work, they were completely unconnected until recently when Angela became a Thompson. They are connected by the commonality that they both accepted Greg’s proposal and became part of his family. He is their head. He proposed to them and they said yes, entering into the covenant that he offers and changing their very name from what it was before to “Thompson”. Greg did not change his name, it was always Thompson. Ruth and Angela are the ones who required a fundamental shift in who they are to become one flesh with Greg. Greg is the head of the family, his family is more capable than it would be without either of them, but it would still be his family. Both Ruth and Angela are equally valid parts of his body, members of his family, and have taken his name.

Seems to track to me. I would put forth that the example is far more Biblically accurate than the argument we have heard from leadership that polygyny is wrong because it does not line up with there being only one bride of Christ: “the church”. Thoughts?

I would go farther even. This one gets a bit more esoteric, but I hope you’ll excuse me. What is the full model we are given? 1 Corinthians 11 tells us that Christ is the head of man, and the man is the head of woman, and God is the head of Christ. It also tells us in John 14 that none come to the Father except through Jesus. I believe that also tracks with the illustration and model of marriage. God is Jesus’ father. When we are wed to Jesus, we by extension become part of God’s family. I feel that extension is less strong, less supported than the model of marriage I present above this paragraph, however I believe it is not actually incorrect, simply not fleshed out fully. I have a few thoughts on “but what about adoption, isn’t that a way to become someone’s child without a wedding?”, but then I reply to myself: “Yes, though Jesus did not abolish the law, but instead gave us a new covenant. Adoption, legally, is a much more complex and work intensive operation than marrying into a family. I believe that someone *can* choose to enter into the old covenant, but that precludes them from benefitting from the new covenant”.

Why do I say that? Because of Galatians 5: “2 Behold I, Paul, say to you that if you receive circumcision, Christ will be of no benefit to you. 3 And Itestify again to every man who receives circumcision, that he is under obligation to keep the whole Law.4 You have been severed from Christ, you who are seeking to be justified by law”. In the same way, if Greg’s dad had legally adopted Ruth as a child, Greg could not have then married her. Again, not as strong an argument I think, but not wholly without merit.

The Greek word that is translated as church is its own plural. So it is possible, however likely or unlikely, that every single reference to a church in the Bible was intended to be plural.

We know this...
  • There are seven churches mentioned in Revelation 2 & 3.
  • 1 & 2 Corinthians address specifically the church at Corinth rather than the entire body of believers and address the church at Corinth as a bride of Christ. (2 Corinthians 11:2)

So Christ has at least eight brides that are all a part of his body the same way that a wife is part of her husband's body.

Yeah I'd brought up the letters to the different churches in a meeting with the pastors and elders. It's a good point and fairly clear wording.

I like it! I track with just about everything except I'd like to noodle around under the hood of the esoteric bits.

The bible already uses the analogy of adoption as being 'through' Jesus Christ in Eph 1:5. The marriage v.s. adoption is more akin to marriage = adoption.

The law is the 'schoolmaster to bring us to Christ' already. And Christ came to fulfill the law. I think getting circumcised and attempting to to keep the law in the Galatians 5 context is not so much adoption as attempting to prove that you deserve to be a son by rights. Which is obviously doomed to failure.

I really think that you are spot-on about the relationship between Christ and the Church and the singular body of Christ is a natural connection. It really seems like it should be a no-brainer, because it seems so clear and the arguments against it are so poorly constructed. Cultural conditioning is such a bear!!

Slumberfreeze said:
Cultural conditioning is such a bear!!

You got that right!!!

Agreed on that point!

And yeah, I actually printed this off for someone today, but I cut out the last "I'd like to take it farther" bits. Thankfully those parts don't have to be fully realized and fleshed out for the rest of it to make sense to me!

I think marriage (Between Christ and the Church AND the picture of it between men and women) is an example of God's inclusionary addition, where 1+1 = 1.

The two shall become one flesh from Genesis 2 and 'that they may all be one' from John 17. The only people who have argued with me on poly always lean really heavy on the two being becoming one (as opposed to 3 becoming one, yadda yadda)

But if the two became one, then there are no longer two but one. Therefore another party being added would only make two, which then again becomes one. In the same way there are not multiple bodies of Christ no matter how many people get saved.

This is very well put UntoldGlory. I have found that understanding polygyny has greatly improved my understanding of Christ, Salvation and the Church. And possibly that is the main reason why God's getting us all interested in polygyny.

In my opinion marriage only really exists in order to teach us about our relationship with God. If we misunderstand marriage, we misunderstand salvation. To truly understand salvation, we need to understand marriage correctly. Everything is linked.

FollowingHim said:
In my opinion marriage only really exists in order to teach us about our relationship with God.

I couldn't agree more!

You know FH, I never really stopped to consider the purpose of marriage, but I believe you're probably right there. I know the other major aspect of life that I have learned a lot about the nature of God from is parenthood, and just as God is the father, Jesus is the husband. These are major relationships, and it seems very plausible that they were designed to teach us things about our relationship with the divine that we could not learn simply by hearing.

Jumping in late and only repeating what everyone else is saying so forgive me for being redundant, but I believe marriage is a metaphor. It is the ultimate testament of God's desire for us and the way we're supposed to treat him. Just like the pagans can look at the heavens and know there is a loving God, we can all look to rightly established marriages and know how to interact with our Creator. I am convinced that one of the reasons women are prohibited from teaching men is because they are one giant, living object lesson already. Ok, I'm done now.

zephyr said:
I am convinced that one of the reasons women are prohibited from teaching men is because they are one giant, living object lesson already.
Now that is one excellent remark.

FollowingHim said:
In my opinion marriage only really exists in order to teach us about our relationship with God. If we misunderstand marriage, we misunderstand salvation. To truly understand salvation, we need to understand marriage correctly. Everything is linked.

Wow, what a view! Didn't think about it this way before. Thanks a lot for this inspirational truth!

Back