• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Support Physical contact with the opposite sex

SerenaJoy82

Female
I may take this topic onto other categories to get input from the men, but I wanted to start here. I believe firmly in the principals of modesty and propriety, especially when interacting with men. As a rule, I do not have any physical contact with men other than my husband, son or other male family members. This includes shaking hands and has often offended some men from my former assemblies in the past when it comes time to have the meet and greet part of the worship service. I have been told that I am going overboard and that I am shunning brothers in Christ, by refusing to shake hands or have any physical contact with non-related men. Am I going overboard? I know that sometimes even a simple touch of a hand can invoke feelings and thoughts between members of the opposite sex, that otherwise may not be manifest.

Nope you are not going overboard. Was just having a conversation with my husband about this very matter. My outlook has much to do with the "flavor" of my faith walk. I am Torah pursuant and have some interaction with orthodox Jews, who operate like this as well. I never gave it much thought while I was in a traditional church, but see the wisdom in this practice now. Where I now fellowship there are people coming out of the traditional church into a Hebraic understanding, so they are at different places with this understanding/practice. I side with you, and think it is always better to err on the side of caution.

I don't think you are going overboard. If you are led and convicted to maintain a distance, then you should follow that. I generally maintain distance too, but more from the emotional side. I don't mind shaking someone's hand, or even allowing a parting hug- some of it does seem a cultural norm to me but follow your convictions if you have them. A friend asked me a few years ago if she should get rid of Netflix and only have pureflix, I told her if she was convicted to do so then yes. She asked if I had done that and I told her we had Netflix but that just because I did one way and she was being convicted another didn't matter, we all get convicted of different things at different times. :)

For me personally I concentrate on showing that I am emotionally unavailable. I try not to develop male friendships because I want to be extremely loyal to my husband. Recently in the grocery store here I think I saw an old friend from high school but I purposely didn't start a conversation with him because I didn't think it would be appropriate now. I don't want any guy having their feelings go sideways on them because I act too friendly. So that's my way of maintaining distance. :)

Nope you are not going overboard. Was just having a conversation with my husband about this very matter. My outlook has much to do with the "flavour" of my faith walk. I am Torah pursuant and have some interaction with orthodox Jews, who operate like this as well. I never gave it much thought while I was in a traditional church, but see the wisdom in this practice now. Where I now fellowship there are people coming out of the traditional church into a Hebraic understanding, so they are at different places with this understanding/practice. I side with you, and think it is always better to err on the side of caution.
I am not Torah observant in the Hebraic sense.( I am a Theonomists, which is found more in Reformed circles. )My actual cultural influence is from Arabic culture in this regard. Arabic Muslims are the most well known for this practice, but Arabic Christians also often are the same way. I believe that ideally workplaces and schools should be sex-segregated, but in pagan Western culture that will never do.

Back