• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

practical questions

Poodles

Real Person
Female
I wonder:

I have often heard, within our organization, of the need for ‘how-to’ advice on creating plural marriages and, esp. ‘how-to ‘ handle the interpersonal relationships between wives, children, husbands and wives, etc., in order to create a joyful, happy, successful family. As a practicing polygynist family, we are still learning the various skills we need within our home. Most important is the mutual love and need for the Lord. One must have understanding for the weaknesses of each other and have the grace, love, respect, patience, etc. for each other. Learn that each has value, gifts, experiences, and wisdom to share within the home and find your limits and strengths to share the burdens of running a home.

We three (Ron, Jan, and myself) are very strong-willed people, quite outspoken, and hold very fervent and different opinions. We each have very different backgrounds and experiences. And it took a lot of patience, understanding, acceptance, and, of course, plenty of prayer to create a (most often) joyful home. We had to learn to accept responsibility for our own actions and reactions, for our judgments of the others (“Well, that is not the way I would do it!” “I can’t believe you said, or did that…”), to really be long-suffering and tolerant, to try to treat each other with respect and love, listening for the pain, the joy, the need, etc, in each other, and to follow the golden rule: Treat others [esp. within the family] as you would like to be treated. Learn to laugh at yourself (don’t take yourself so seriously, life is too short! [Very difficult for me]) And be in prayer constantly, asking the Holy Spirit to guide and protect each of your minds and hearts from causing or receiving pain.

Ask yourself, ‘How can I help my sister-wife or husband (or, for the men, their wives) be everything they can be and what can I do for them today?’ Do not bash them over the head with this or that scripture or condemn them for their failings. Stop the judgment and condemnations, esp. toward the other members of your family, as you also have many shortcomings. Try your best to love each other through the transitions of life. And always BE KIND.

We are still learning these various skills. Every day we have new challenges and we grow as we learn what works and what doesn’t. However, we do have a deep love for each other, and that helps in the rough times.
The way that I see life is to try and be a blessing to others. I also think that we, as believers, all need to give and receive love.

And we try to live as St. Francis of Assisi taught:

Prayer of St. Francis

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is Hatred, let me sow Love.
Where there is Injury, Pardon.
Where there is Doubt, Faith.
Where there is Despair, Hope.
Where there is Darkness, Light, and
Where there is Sadness, Joy.

O Divine Master,
Grant that I may not so much
seek to be consoled as to console;
To be understood, as to understand;
To be loved, as to love;
For it is in giving that we receive,
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
And it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.

Until one can really understand where practicing polygynists are coming from…their trials and tribulations…and what they need to hear, the ‘how-to’s and what to expect, then all the preaching and explaining the intellectual and scholarly ‘ins and outs’ according to the law of scripture, doesn’t console them. One must practice what one preaches or then take a risk in becoming like the Pharisees (in action, perhaps not in belief). Only then will one truly be able to give practical advice to practicing families.

Some of the most ridiculous advice given to us, when our children were small, was from people with very high academic, intellectual degrees who did not have children themselves. I’m sure that all parents have experienced that. It is ironic to see at a later time how the advice changes once they have children themselves. Is it not the same within our own groups? Everything changes when one transitions from intellectual consideration of polygyny and the actual fact of living it.

Jesus taught in parables, everyday life, down to earth (where the common man lives) because He wanted all people to understand the love and truth of salvation. He lived with them and knew firsthand what they experienced. He faced the judgment of the religious leaders and did not hold their sins against them. And he gave hope to all who listened and believed.

2 Corinthians 3:6

“He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant--not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.” (NIV)

“He has enabled us to be ministers of his new covenant. This is a covenant not of written laws, but of the Spirit. The old written covenant ends in death; but under the new covenant, the Spirit gives life.” (NLT)

“Who also hath made us able ministers of the New Testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.” (KJV)

I know the scholars will take apart and examine every word I have said, so I leave this question: How does one minister to the common person and family? I think, proceed gently, with great compassion and understanding, forgiveness of others (even of the pastors and others who condemn us), and by bringing hope and joy to the families who are hurting. Be where they are at, walk where they walk, speak the common, easily understood language of the families, and emulate our Lord as He taught and walked on earth.

I know that there are many men who wish to live this lifestyle and I know they are hurting as well. Be of good cheer, for our Lord knows the desires of your heart and He will, in His Time, grant you the desires of your heart, or He will change the desires of your heart. Wait upon Him. (Very difficult, I know, but wait and see what He will do or how He will handle your life.)

I know this to be true. I have seen His working in my life, often not as I expected, but always granting the desires of my heart. And I praise Him every day for the way He changed me and my various situations throughout my life!

(Check out Maranatha’s song “IN HIS TIME”)

Verse 1:
In His time, in His time,
He makes all things beautiful,
Lord, please show me every day,
As You're teaching me Your way,
That You do just what You say, in Your time.

Verse 2:
In Your time, in Your time,
You make all things beautiful, in Your time.
Lord, my life to You I bring,
May each song I have to sing,
Be to You a lovely thing, in Your time

Excellent post, Poodles.

Wishing people will really take to heart your post... there needs to be less pontificating from those who do not live poly. The analogy of child rearing is spot on....reality beats theory every day of the week.

Take the plank out of your own eye before telling the neighbor about the sliver in his. As Christians we should be trying to live our lives according to Jesus. It's funny how people can quote career statistics for sports figures, yet they have a hard time with the Ten Commandments.

Oopps...starting to ramble.

Tell'em Poodles!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

yes,
a most excellent post. :D

Thanks for your post! It would be a blessing to see more posts here from those in PM, because all that we, those not in PM, can do is talk about it and debate how it should be done. :)

Mariechen,

Thank you for that post. It is the best I have read about actually living in a poly family.

Those of us who are not (yet!) living the lifestyle have no business offering advice. But people like you who are, and are very successful doing so, have a lot to offer the rest of us.

Keep the posts coming!

Poodles,

Thank you so much for sharing. We have lived PM for the past two years and I'm so thankful for any advice I can get from others who have gone before me, so to speak. I have really been focusing on I Corinthians 13 for my own life. I have a tendency to say all the right things and do all the hard things, but if I'm not doing it with true love towards all, then I am doing it for nothing.

Your post was a real encouragement to me, to keep plugging along, still saying the right things and doing the right things, but making sure that I'm doing it with a heart of love.

Katie

Holidays

Hello from the Higgins’ Sister-wives: Mariechen, and Jan.

We thought we might share some thoughts on various subjects each week. We would love feedback as well as new topics to discuss. Every week is new with its set of challenges, trials, and, yes, joys to share. If we can help, please allow us to offer some ideas and/or solutions (that worked for us). We love you all, friends that we already know and friends we have not yet met.
The question was asked: what about holidays with family members who have no idea that you are plural married, or who have reacted to the news with anger and accusations?

This is written for the ladies living the plural life:

First and foremost what are your expectations of their behavior? Are you willing to be hurt or disappointed? Do you have unrealistic expectations of what will occur? Do you expect to be welcomed in with wide open arms, hoping that they will understand and accept your lifestyle? Too often this is not the case.

My first thought is that while you cannot change what a person thinks or acts, you can change your own behavior and actions. Are you happy with your lifestyle? Are you ashamed of it, feeling trapped in it, hating the fact that you have to share your mate with another woman or with children that are not yours? Do you feel alone and without support, struggling to be what you need to be for the success of the marriages, putting on a ‘happy face’ around others for peace in the family? What is your understanding of God and do you feel sometimes that He has abandoned you?

You are not alone. We have all gone through these feelings and often acted on them to the detriment of ourselves and family. But you do have a God who understands where you are and He has not allowed you to be in a situation without hope. Where there is love, there is hope and joy. Once you decide where you are, then you are ready to face family and friends. Be honest with yourself, put these feelings on paper and explore possible scenarios to the acting out of your feelings. Ask yourself if you are giving love and grace to those around you. Have you taken time out to spend a few moments with God, seeking His advice and peace, calming your troubled heart with His love, and then talking with your husband? Before you can inform others in your family, you need to know where you are and what do you really feel.

You already know that you will probably face opposition from your families, friends and church. You must be sure in yourself and in your nuclear family (you, your husband, and the sister wife or wives, and children), that you are OK with this arrangement. If they can see that you are happy and that you still love your husband and children and sister-wife, then those who love you will staunchly support you in this lifestyle. (We have made all the mistakes, and more, and once our families realized how happy we are, they have all accepted both Jan and me in our separate marriages to Ron.)

Each family is so different with its own challenges from growing up in those families, so the difficulties you may encounter might not be because of your lifestyle choices, but rather because of unresolved inter-communication problems between each person. Often Christians are the worst at condemning you because of your beliefs in polygyny. Perhaps they do not understand that the love of God and His grace towards us covers a multitude of actions that they do not comprehend. It will be up to you, if you choose to visit family, to be loving and non-condemning of your loved ones. Do not react in kind to their actions. Do not engage in hurtful responses or explanations.

What is, is! You have covered your choices with prayer; now show God’s love to each of them. Be gentle and loving and always show the love between you and your spouse and sister-wife (or wives). If you are uninvited or told to leave, do so gracefully, not with anger (God’s word says “be angry and sin not.” Eph. 4:26)

Now, mind you, we did not know to do this when first we shared our news. So we did go through judgment and non-acceptance of friends and families. Now, it is so different! There are 2 family members that won’t accept our choices, but we just love them and pray for them.

Our prayer for each of you is to find God’s peace over these circumstances and know that with His leading, you will be alright and these situations will work out. Stand firm on His word and pray with your family often. We do suggest that a Bible study daily will strengthen your resolve to love unconditionally your husband and sister-wife, and your extended family.

We love you all and pray for you daily. (God always knows who you are and what you need!)

It is good to read comments from experienced people.

For a non-poly-practicing poly-minded person, the theory of poly-life looked great, sound, and looked like a wonderful method of showing Christ's love through gracious hospitality, sharing and support. For me, it was all academic. I thought that I was 'fit' to do that. But real life has become quite different.

This year has been one of re-building my monogamous marriage. There is still a way to go, but things are looking better.

The uncertain prospective of possibly being a blessing to another women does try one's trust in God's provision.

Some of you know my story. It was through a (single female, non-Christian) work friend's friendship, earlier this year, that I was inspired to work at saving our marriage.; and a suggestion from a near stranger, to try counselling, that proved very valuable for rectifying the years of damage a faulty marriage has wrought.

Things are looking up, but that doesn't resolve the fact that I have grown to adore my friend, and that, under conventional wisdom, I cannot help her have a relationship and family, as she desires/craves. She is no ninny, and will not settle for second best (Am I worthy? I have not asked her).

Maybe it is because Australia has a smaller population, that there is more pressure on people to conform to the 'conventional wisdom'.

For now, while I am waiting upon the Lord in prayer (and 'keeping my powder dry'), the shared wisdom and experience is great reading.

Back