• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Statistics

• Thread starter Thread starter dodidodi
  • Start date Start date
D

dodidodi

I have been at this PM search thing for awhile now and the one thing that seems to always come up is, where are all the 'live happily ever after' stories of families finding and adding a sister wife?

Does anyone know of a family who actually added a SW in the past year? I have heard of couples meeting someone but they quickly fall way, it seems. But I have never heard of any reaching the point of actually having a wedding and going on with a PM life, or at least getting to that serious of a point in the time frame allowed for the joining of relationships.

Also, maybe someone could share some statistics in regards to the participants in a retreat. I have never been to one so I don't know, but I was wondering, how many at the retreat are actually in a plural marriage? How many are couples looking for a SW? How many single women usually go?

I know that a lot of the purpose of the retreat is just for people to gather, but I would suspect that a large majority of the couples that go are looking for a wife? If the percentage of couples looking outweigh the singles, does that make the singles uncomfortable to be on display? If the majority of people that go are couples looking, what is the point? Or, is it really a retreat for plural families and all others, couples and singles are welcome.

Just trying to figure at the mechanics.

This is a question that most people have when first learning about Christian plural marriage, I did myself. There are a number of people on this forum with highly successful long-running plural marriages, in some cases approaching 20 years in length. And the retreats tend to be these successful families getting together with others who have an interest in plural marriage (usually monogamous couples, a small number of single men & women). The retreats are not aimed at wife-finding, very few people go there looking for a wife, they are a time of intense Christian fellowship with occasional discussion of polygamy, their primary purpose is to allow families who may otherwise be rejected by the formal church structure or be unable to speak openly about their true beliefs to share in Christian fellowship and worship together. They are used occasionally as a good safe environment to meet people in person that you already know online, so can help some relationships form or progress, but that is minor - some people meet a wife at church, but that's not the purpose of church.

But you know all this already Curtis, given that you've sat in the living room of at least one such highly successful long-lasting family and have spoken to others regularly by video link. It was disappointing that you pulled out of coming to the August retreat at the last minute, I was looking forward to meeting you in person. Coming from you this is not a genuine question, but rather a subversive way of giving the impression that the members of this forum are insincere, which we do not appreciate.

I did not realize you were Curtis. I was really looking forward to meeting you too (well to be honest your wife). I was disappointed you did not come :(

Samuel summed up the retreats - Christian fellowship with people we met online and now love like family.

Back