• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Thy Brother's Wife

CecilW

Real Person
Male
Stirring the pot for the fun of a discussion ...

Lev 20:21 said:
If a man marries his brother's wife, it is an act of impurity; he has dishonored
his brother.
Lev 18:16 said:
Do not have sexual relations with your brother's
wife;
Got it. Yet, the Law of the Levirite makes it mandatory in some cases after his death. With that in mind ...

Your brother divorces his wife. (NOT "she divorced him against his will".) You always thought that they were a horrible mismatch -- that she was probably much more suited as your own wife than his. Didn't covet her. Didn't lust for her. Loved her as family, but held the amused private opinion.

She has not remarried. He has. Years have passed.

You still love her. She's "family". Sorta. She's alone. Is she fair game? Or is she still Thy Brother's Wife under the "Don't DO dat!" rules?

21 “‘If a man marries his brother’s wife, it is an act of impurity; he has dishonored his brother. They will be childless.
22 “‘Keep all my decrees and laws and follow them, so that the land where I am bringing you to live may not vomit you out.
23 You must not live according to the customs of the nations I am going to drive out before you. Because they did all these things, I abhorred them.
24 But I said to you, “You will possess their land; I will give it to you as an inheritance, a land flowing with milk and honey.” I am the Lord your God, who has set you apart from the nations.

You have free will. My will drives me to avoid being childless, vomited out of the land, or abhorred by God.
I'd rather have the heritage of the Lord (children), live by His Word and not the lands customs, come to possess the lands and steward them to the Glory of God.

This is actually a complex one, because the word "marries" isn't necessarily correct in Lev 20:21. The translations I would generally consider more reliable (KJV, ESV, YLT etc) translate it "takes", not "marries". The Hebrew word can mean "to take, get, fetch, lay hold of, seize, receive, acquire, buy, bring, marry, take a wife, snatch, take away" - so it could be talking about marriage, but not necessarily.

Read it in context. This and the preceding verses are all about the crime of "uncovering nakedness". The context is described as if a man should "take" (v17, v21), "lie with" (v18, v20), or just uncover nakedness with no further description of context (v19). These verses are not discussing marriage, but uncovering the nakedness of women who are close relatives. Leviticus 18:16 is also "Thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of thy brother's wife" - it's discussing exactly the same thing.

Both passages are essentially saying either "don't see your brother's wife naked" (if we go by the KJV), or "don't have sex with your brother's wife" (if we go by the NIV). It's not about marriage, but adultery, quite a different situation.

Why would this be forbidding marrying your brother's wife? Can you even do that? Isn't that impossible unless she is polyandrous? Because you can't marry her while she's married to him, and if she ceases to be married to him she isn't his wife any longer so you're not marrying his wife.

These verses are very clear that you can't see her naked when she's married to your brother - that would be adulterous. So when does she cease to be your brother's wife? Clearly on his death she ceases to be his wife, or else the Levirate law would contradict this. So even a brother's wife is freed by his death and is available for you to marry (with that even being required in some circumstances). So the question posed by Cecil is simply "Does divorce also cause her to cease to be your brother's wife, or not?"

Deuteronomy 24:1-2 are clear that a legitimately divorced woman may go and be another man's wife, she is no longer the wife of the first man. Is there any scriptural reason to think that there is still some tentative tie held to her after a man divorces her, which makes her still counted as his wife from his brother's perspective, but not his wife from the perspective of any other man?

So to answer Cecil's original question - I can't see any reason why if she's TRULY divorced she isn't available to you.

BUT that doesn't mean it's necessarily a good idea! Why did your brother divorce her? If she committed adultery for instance, you've got to wonder whether she'd be a suitable wife. Furthermore, you're probably somewhat similar to your brother, if he couldn't get on with her that's a good reason to think you might hit the same issues also. And the family relationships would get terribly complicated. Just because something may be permissible doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Why do you ask? :?

FollowingHim said:
Why do you ask? :?

Amused by my brother's situation with his ex-wife. Pretty much as described in the OP.

No interest in actually DOING anything about it -- I agree we wouldn't get on all that well.

And my own conclusion pretty much matched yours, Samuel. Though it is alleged that bad temper rather than adultery was the separating element.

Regardless, thinking back, I couldn't remember the thread having been discussed previously, so thought perhaps I could get a rousing discussion going.

What do we do with Romans 7:1,2 (?) about a woman being tied to her husband until his death? Best I can think is that that, too, is covered by the fact that he divorced her.

If she left, or divorced him, it might get more complicated, but that is the subject of other threads.

Back