• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

What Do You Do When The Wife Says 'No'?

Doc

Real Person
This is a very real question, and I would like to hear input from both husbands and wives. Imagine if husband and wife agree that plural marriage is a truth, though a forgotten one, that is taught and practiced in Scripture. Up to this point, it is all theory and speculation. But what happens on that day when the husband wants to proceed, and the wife, for any number of personal or societal reasons, says it ain't happening?

Blessings

Doc

On this I believe the husband's first priority is to his existing wife. This is very difficult for her, and it is his job to lovingly care for her. He probably also promised on their wedding day to have her "forsaking all others", a promise that she most likely felt was the most important part of his vows on the day, and not something she can put aside lightly. His task now is to lovingly attempt to bring her around to the idea.

There may be an occasion in the future when, if she continues to put her foot down, but God is clearly saying something else, that the husband must make the difficult choice to follow what he believes God is saying despite the objections of his wife. But this should be an absolute last resort, as it isn't going to make for a harmonious marriage...

To put this into perspective, in Muslim countries I understand the law tends to be that the consent of the first wife is required in order for a man to take a second wife, apart from in a few specific circumstances when her wishes can be overruled (such as if the first wife is infertile and the man wishes to have children by another). We don't follow Islam, but rather follow the Bible, and this law does have the perverse result that some Muslim men take second wives in secret to avoid getting consent from their first. However if even the Muslims are able to officially respect the wishes of the first wife so highly, only overruling her when there are strong mitigating circumstances, surely we can respect her in the same way.

As long as no marriage had taken place you must first take care of any concerns that wife 1 has. Even if that means she never comes around! If the marriage had already taken place then you are already married and need to find a way to make it work for all parties involved. It may not be easy, but seldomly anything is that is worth having.

I have always thought that what needs to happen first; the prospective bride should be a compliment to the exsisting wife. They should edify each other, be best friends. That comes with courtship & time. Nothing should be jumped into without prayer. If it's Gods will for this to happen, then my current wife will feel the need to be apart of this other womans life. They will both see that I am (or am not) the man to lead them spiritally. As I am no longer able to produce children, I believe that the right woman will have kids that need a dad. If she is child-less, then my I do not see how Karen (my current wife) would ever agree to a sister wife that will never bear any child of mine. Karen may think it's all about sex, and what my modivations are. Plus I'm 49, I'd rather not be starting with babies (2-5 years old), I'd rather be apart of someones life whose kids are 5-14.

To your point, your wife can say NO all she wants. But if you know it's Gods will (TRUELY GODS WILL, not my will) for you to marry another, then pray that God soften the heart of your current wife. In His timing it'll work, in your's it may be paniful.

ybic,
Mike

If there has been a monogamous vow (i will forsake all others) made between you and your wife. Its a binding covenant/contract, and requires both parties to agree to any amendments. No amount of headship can be invoked to break that vow without her willing consent.

Back