• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Why does God let us sin?

Scarecrow

Genesis 20:6 Then God said to him in the dream, "Yes, I know that you have done this in the integrity of your heart, and it was I who kept you from sinning against me. Therefore I did not let you touch her.

God prevented him from sinning. Why then would He allow us to sin instead of preventing us from sinning as well?

I think the main thing to consider is that your question is not the same as the example that is quoted in scripture.

The difference is that your question is "Why does God let us sin?" and the story that is referenced is far from that question in content. It is one thing to know sin, know that the choice to sin is before you, and continue in the choice to sin. It is another thing to know that taking another man's wife is sin, be told that a woman is a sister and not be fully informed that she is also a wife.

God kept an innocent and uninformed man from sinning, which is different from God preventing all of us from sinning when we willfully choose to violate His Law.

Gen 20:4 But Abimelech had not come near her: and he said, Lord, wilt thou slay also a righteous nation?
Gen 20:5 Said he not unto me, She is my sister? and she, even she herself said, He is my brother: in the integrity of my heart and innocency of my hands have I done this.
Gen 20:6 And God said unto him in a dream, Yea, I know that thou didst this in the integrity of thy heart; for I also withheld thee from sinning against me: therefore suffered I thee not to touch her.

Totally agree with Paul! Wrong analogy. But, to just answer your question God let's us create. At times, we miscreate, which is Him giving us an opportunity to grow and learn!

Why do people blame God for allowing people to sin?

If people did not want to be allowed to sin....

Why do they allow themselves to sin by choosing to sin ....

Anyone who wants to can allow themselves not to sin, by choosing not to sin...

Therefor no one who has committed even one sin, can argue that if they were God they would not allow people to sin, because they have shown that if they had a choice they would allow sin, since they used their choice to allow themselves to sin, by choosing to sin.

But that does not answer your question, it only shows that the intention behind a question, I used to ask was not valid.

It was not valid to say that "I am better than God because I would not allow myself to sin," as I allowed myself to sin.

By the way, I am glad you posted this post and I would like to know the answer(s) :D

By the way, I might have never found the answer to why did God allow sin, but I did find the solution to sin, that is God can enable people not to sin. I found the solution, more satisfactory then knowing the reason that I still might not know.

Is it better to be cured of a disease, or to find out why you got it in the first place but never receive a cure?

I found the cure sufficient. :D That being said there is no reason, I know of that both cannot be provided.

The answer might just have something to do with an opportunity for God to show his love to us.

"The answer might just have something to do with an opportunity for God to show his love to us."

Well said, and I agree completely. The circumstance is similar to...

John 11:1-4 Now a certain man was ill, Lazarus of Bethany, the village of Mary and her sister Martha. It was Mary who anointed the Lord with ointment and wiped his feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was ill. So the sisters sent to him, saying, "Lord, he whom you love is ill." But when Jesus heard it he said, "This illness does not lead to death. It is for the glory of God, so that the Son of God may be glorified through it."

Back